Why become a member? ×

Not massively impressed with Guitar Village.

Angel

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1400762497' post='2456729']
I think that's unfair and presumptuous. I prefer to email, I'm not very confident on the phone, I don't enjoy phoning people I don't know. Email is way more comfortable for me, and I'm no timewaster - if I make an enquiry about something it's because I want to buy it.
[/quote]

I think I sense where you're coming from, and myself often feel way more comfy when writing and having the time to iron out the worst blunders.
But I don't think Iconic was being unfair and presumptuous, as what he wrote was a pun-like condensate of our experiences.

Also, I feel quite confident that your e-mail to a firm would be easily recognised as a serious one, by most firms.
I think one can see the difference in most cases.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400763218' post='2456742']
Problem is, depending on your job, email is actually better because you might not be able to make a personal call/get into a quiet area etc.

Email? Few seconds, discreet, done!
[/quote]
There can't be many jobs that don't have either a tea break or lunch break.

Phone? Few seconds. Get answer. Job done. Simple!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1400762497' post='2456729']
I think that's unfair and presumptuous. I prefer to email, I'm not very confident on the phone, I don't enjoy phoning people I don't know. Email is way more comfortable for me, and I'm no timewaster - if I make an enquiry about something it's because I want to buy it.
[/quote]

Same here. With an email I can consider what I want to ask and ask all the questions in an orderly fashion. A phone call can be subject to distractions, poor sound quality and interuptions.
My first enquiry is almost always via e mail. The ones who don't bother to respond, might get a second chance, just in case the email got lost in cyber space.

I've e mailed Bass Direct a few times of late about a couple of different basses, I've had a reply every time, even out of shop hours. Now I've not actually made the purchase yet but that doesn't make me a time waster. They will get my business when I have the funds for that new instrument.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1400903293' post='2458041']
Isn't that illegal? I would have a word with someone about that.
[/quote]

Haha, everyone says the same thing. Unfortunately it's an expectation if it's busy.

Anyway, I won't go into the details, I'm just saying that for some people, a quick email is actually much faster and much more efficient compared to phoning, waiting to speak to the right person, possibly having to call back.

Not only that, some, not all, get a salesperson doing the hard sale, and that is another thing you can limit via email :)

I also personally like an email for quotes etc / record of agreements.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1400916972' post='2458087']

Same here. With an email I can consider what I want to ask and ask all the questions in an orderly fashion. A phone call can be subject to distractions, poor sound quality and interuptions.
My first enquiry is almost always via e mail. The ones who don't bother to respond, might get a second chance, just in case the email got lost in cyber space.

I've e mailed Bass Direct a few times of late about a couple of different basses, I've had a reply every time, even out of shop hours. Now I've not actually made the purchase yet but that doesn't make me a time waster. They will get my business when I have the funds for that new instrument.
[/quote]

Plus one. Exactly how I feel. Plus I always call to confirm and order later , unless it's totally online!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1400922378' post='2458142']
That's fair enough. It's a bit of a worry that some people avoid using the phone so much. We're becoming such an impersonal society.
[/quote]

I agree, it's a shame. Modern technology is a blessing but there is that negative side to it.

OT, but the most recent 3-4 bands I've looked at either meeting or trying out for either don't exist to a level they say they do, or they want to add you on Facebook and never speak again. Best idea is to meet and have a chat or even just a quick call.