Why become a member? ×

Using ipad on stage

KingPrawn

I've reflected on my post #27 and realised that I have probably not clearly conveyed my sinus - infected thoughts. No - one has mentioned anything via PM or any other means, I just realise my comment could be misleading.

At the time of writing, I thought disrespect was being shown for the musicians of the Titanic and that was what I took exception to. However, I now realise that my post could read as though I considered disrespect was being shown for me, which wasn't what I was thinking at all.

Apologies to Chaypup, who was good enough to acknowledge my post. Also apologies to the OP for dampening the tone of the thread with what could appear to be a loss of sense of proportion

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399487623' post='2444764']
I've reflected on my post #27 and realised that I have probably not clearly conveyed my sinus - infected thoughts. No - one has mentioned anything via PM or any other means, I just realise my comment could be misleading.

At the time of writing, I thought disrespect was being shown for the musicians of the Titanic and that was what I took exception to. However, I now realise that my post could read as though I considered disrespect was being shown for me, which wasn't what I was thinking at all.

Apologies to Chaypup, who was good enough to acknowledge my post. Also apologies to the OP for dampening the tone of the thread with what could appear to be a loss of sense of proportion
[/quote]

No disrespect meant to your good self or to anyone that died in horrible circumstances - just a flippant joke, hope it doesn't get up your nose too much. ;)

Edit: Must remember emoticons!

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1399459938' post='2444376']
Jazz musicians have started to use ipads/ireal books/mobile apps for gigs for a whole variety of reasons. I co-run a Jazz club which features higher profile musicians with local rhythm section player (wwww.jazzeast.vpweb.co.uk) and we use a selection of methods to get the end product together. Some are tunes everyone knows, some provide charts with arrangements of tunes we all know the substance of, some are chord charts of originals, some provide detailed charts that require concentration and application of advanced reading skills (unison parts, key changes, odd bar lengths etc) and so one. The ipads etc are another tool in the arsenal of options for making it possible to do gigs 'cold' with and with minimal rehearsal. The main advantage of an ipad over a hard copy chart is the ability to change key (in the past, I have had to read charts and transpose them in real time). It is perfectly possible to listen to other musicians, follow cues, maintain satisfactory eye-contact etc whilst reading charts. No-one who reads well (charts or dots) is as welded to the page as many seem to think.

As for music stands/ipads on stage. I think this is one of those issues that is part of the chosen dynamic of the end product. If an artist wants to create the impression of polish that music stands undermine, they are likely to be better rehearsed and work regularly enough to warrant the necessay time investment by the musicians. When John McLaughlin tours, he rehearses his bands for nine hours a day for a couple of weeks in advance. When Miles inducted a new musician, he did so on stage without ANY rehearsal. You get what you prepare for. If you want to have the flexibility to perform a vast array of material at the drop of a hat, an ipad (or, more specifically, the chosen software) is a massive boon.

As for the Titanic band, 150 songs is no big deal. Pianist Mark Ballamy, saxophonist Iain's dad, knew 1,000 tunes. I know 3; So What, Impressions and Lush Life. And I am lying about one of them.
[/quote]

I'd say it's So what , counting them changes catches everyone out lol.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399453408' post='2444297']
...If people are using ipads as short cuts for learning songs properly, then subtle nuances and changes in the song from verse to verse could well be missed...
[/quote]

Our vocalist has the lyrics on stage but he says he only needs to see the first line and it triggers the rest of the song.

I have suggested we put the first line of the song on each track on his setlist instead, this brought on some stuttering and a mild panic attack, so we let him have the lyrics in their entirety again...

I understand prompts and triggers but music stands on stage looks terrible and just amateur
so we try and hide them.
Imagine a gtr pulling all sorts of poses with a stand nearby... but sometimes the show can just about handle it.
No excuse for pubs tho.. IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399450313' post='2444272']
In a the pub/rock world you can have an ipad for recollection where it sits down by the monitors unseen.
You have a footswitch to flick thru the songs but music stands are a complete No-no now, I think.
[/quote]

Are you going to tell our singist then haha

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since the 1970's I have used napkins and beer mats as aide memoirs for music at gigs. Having just watched my son e-mail pdf files of music scores, download them onto the iPad, open them on his music reader and change from page to page as he plays using a blue tooth wireless foot switch (all in probably less time than it would take me to write on a beer mat), I am starting to feel really old!!!!!!!![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He uses an iPad, MusicReader PDF app and Airturn T85 Wireless Footswitch. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For him, it saves having to use 3 music stands to hold some of the scores from the big band and swing music that he plays and it saves space in a small orchestra pit.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]More importantly, at 16, it is just entirely natural and easy for him to use this sort of technology in this way.[/font]

[quote name='PJT' timestamp='1399564188' post='2445400']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since the 1970's I have used napkins and beer mats as aide memoirs for music at gigs. Having just watched my son e-mail pdf files of music scores, download them onto the iPad, open them on his music reader and change from page to page as he plays using a blue tooth wireless foot switch (all in probably less time than it would take me to write on a beer mat), I am starting to feel really old!!!!!!!![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He uses an iPad, MusicReader PDF app and Airturn T85 Wireless Footswitch. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For him, it saves having to use 3 music stands to hold some of the scores from the big band and swing music that he plays and it saves space in a small orchestra pit.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]More importantly, at 16, it is just entirely natural and easy for him to use this sort of technology in this way.[/font]
[/quote]

Great post.