Why become a member? ×

Is Denmark Street improving its Customer Service?

xilddx

I went there yesterday. I wanted a looper and I wanted it NOW!

I was told by Wunjos that Rock Stop was the best bet. I've had very patchy customer service in there in the past so I was dubious, and I noticed the same guy is still there, but there was another chap too, and he was incredibly helpful. He spent about an hour with me demoing three different loopers and I ended up with the little TC Ditto. Even said if I think I made a mistake I can return it within a few days and swap for something else. Top service from Rock Stop.

Then I went into Wunjos guitar shop just to have a look around. Fancied a go on a 1960s Gibson Melody Maker that had a neck break repair at some point, new tuners and pickup, and was pretty beat up and with crazed lacquer. What a revelation! There was a really good guitarist in there trying something and I just jammed along with him. This little guitar sang like a bird, felt gorgeous and I was completely smitten. Haven't felt like that about an instrument for ages. I walked out with it and got a good deal on it. Their customer service was excellent.

I'm hoping this is an indication that service in Denmark Street has finally turned around from the indifferent and even obstructive crap I've had to deal with in the past.

I've taken to almost exclusively buying from Wunjo because the guys there are so helpful. Some of the prices are a little bit more expensive (strings and accessories) but that is more than compensated for by the fact they match the big retailers on basses and amps.

Despite my reservations about Denmark Street being an oligopoly (look it up!), I have always had good customer service there, and never suffered any of the disdainful attitude that is sometimes reported. Maybe it is because I have 'buyer' stamped on my forehead!

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1399332501' post='2443279']
You know the rules Nige - that Melody Maker doesn't exist without pictures <_< Nuff said
[/quote]

Here you go mate. I'm marking a point off Wunjos because although they were honest about the replacement pickup, when I asked if it was a Gibson pup the guy said, oh yeah of course it's a Gibson pickup! It's actually an old Seymour Duncan Mini HB. It's a cracking pickup nonetheless, but I prefer 'er, I dunno' rather than what I got. Great players' guitar though, I'm going to shield it properly and get the disgusting mess of soldering sorted out. Already ordered a Tonepros bridge and Tonepros Kluson keystones. I realise I'm talking guitar gibberish on a bass forum ;)

You know what, I think she looks f***ing cool. Never the sort of guitar I would go for, but the sound and feel is the best I've come across. I'm going to take it to the Gallery and get it tidied up. It really is one of those instruments that one can play THROUGH rather than simply ON. I can't leave it alone. I want to play it all day. I know it looks cool in a way that a six string burl top single cut bass can never do ;)