Why become a member? ×

Do I go b3k or vintage microtubes?

Patchbass

I didn't know you could run it at 12v, but I may give it a try if I can find confirmation it's safe to do so!

My Deluxe arrived this morning so I spent some time A/Bing it with the Vintage that Danbowskill's waiting for (sorry it had to be done, it will be posted to you first thing in the morning!). Bass at 1 o'clock, mid at noon and treble at 11 o'clock roughly matches the baked in EQ curve of the Vintage.

Through my Ashdown CTM15 the original Vintage still sounded the best - it's a perfect match for that amp and I found no need for any EQ adjustment beyond the Era control. I got the Deluxe eq'd as closely as I could but still preferred sound of the simpler pedal.

Through the much darker sounding Orange Terror Bass though, the Vintage sounded far too muddy and the Deluxe was just the ticket with the treble set to noon, giving it a slight boost over its little brother.

I'm keeping the Deluxe for now, but can easily see me downscaling to save cash and board space if I switch to a different amp setup in future.

Edited by dannybuoy

I'm very keen to try the VMT now, though I'm not sure I need it...I got sick of the character of the B3K pretty quickly, tried a B7K as I thought the eq would give me the versatility I needed, but I realised that I just don't like the nagging (and rather unnatural) sound of either unit...It just sounded like Meshuggah or something, whatever bass I put through it!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1400059882' post='2450238']
I'm very keen to try the VMT now, though I'm not sure I need it...I got sick of the character of the B3K pretty quickly, tried a B7K as I thought the eq would give me the versatility I needed, but I realised that I just don't like the nagging (and rather unnatural) sound of either unit...It just sounded like Meshuggah or something, whatever bass I put through it!
[/quote]

Its amazing how peoples opinions differ. Every bass I have put through it sounds completely different! I find it incredibly sensitive to the signal going in, not in an active/passive way either. I just love it! :)

The VMT looks a great piece of kit but I don't know about Darkglass stuff, I know people who like it LOVE it, to my ears it just sounds so manufactured and fizzy. I know a guy who swears by Darkglass gear and I just can't get my head around the hype at all, but hey, that's just me!

Although, if I were to join some sort of hi-fi metal band, I'd probably get one to fit the sound, seems to me that's where a lot of their market is! Nolly lovers!

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1400157662' post='2451278']
The VMT looks a great piece of kit but I don't know about Darkglass stuff, I know people who like it LOVE it, to my ears it just sounds so manufactured and fizzy. I know a guy who swears by Darkglass gear and I just can't get my head around the hype at all, but hey, that's just me!

Although, if I were to join some sort of hi-fi metal band, I'd probably get one to fit the sound, seems to me that's where a lot of their market is! Nolly lovers!
[/quote]

Definitely this, I just could never get a very natural, organic sound out of the B3/7K. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right, though I tried probably every possible setting!...I did enjoy it for Takeshi Ueda moments, though none of my current bands have any particular need for those! :lol:

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1400160215' post='2451310']
Definitely this, I just could never get a very natural, organic sound out of the B3/7K. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right, though I tried probably every possible setting!...I did enjoy it for Takeshi Ueda moments, though none of my current bands have any particular need for those! :lol:
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to be their thing! I think the Empress Metal does a far better job of a compressed metaly bass tone which is far more organic if you're looking for it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1400161525' post='2451327']
I thought the same about the B3K, and drew similarities between Darkglass fanatics and Apple fanboys worshipping their iPhones. The Vintage changed my opinion though. It sounds more, er, 'vintage'.
[/quote]

I love the idea of Darkglass releasing a phone "With the Era knob, you can go from Nokia 3310 to iPhone and everything in between in the twist of a knob!"

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1400161953' post='2451335']
I love the idea of Darkglass releasing a phone "With the Era knob, you can go from [s]Nokia 3310[/s] to iPhone and everything in between in the twist of a knob!"
[/quote]

* Motorola DynaTAC, "for the complete retro Zack Morris vibe!" :lol: