Why become a member? ×

Aguilar SL112 v Bergantino AE112

tonyclaret

Hi, I currently have the Berg, it's probably the best cab I have very articulate and just sounds great.

The Aguilar SL112 looks and sounds great from vids I've seen and unbelievable lighter than the Berg.

Anyone done the switch?

Best sticking with Berg?

Thoughts, experience?

My current amp is a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2.

Cheers
Tony

My feeling is
1st CN112,
2nd SL112
3rd AE112.

I've played all 3 but own the AE112 so have far more time on that model, whereas the
rating is down to recollections of the other 2 playing them in shops. This may be a little
unfair as it is easier to pick more holes in cabs that you have played over a longer period
of time.

I am not in a desperate hurry, but I'd trade my AE112's for the other 2 and also for the DB112
and all things considered the DB112 would be my top choice. ( I use a DB212 )

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1398518745' post='2434900']
My feeling is
1st CN112,
2nd SL112
3rd AE112.

I've played all 3 but own the AE112 so have far more time on that model, whereas the
rating is down to recollections of the other 2 playing them in shops. This may be a little
unfair as it is easier to pick more holes in cabs that you have played over a longer period
of time.

I am not in a desperate hurry, but I'd trade my AE112's for the other 2 and also for the DB112
and all things considered the DB112 would be my top choice. ( I use a DB212 )
[/quote]

Isn't the CN112 a redesign of the AE112?

I preferred the Berg AE 112 over the Aguilar DB112.
The DB sounded great with my Jazz and P basses but the AE was a better choice / voicing (imo) for my Thumb Bass which is the one that gets out the most.
The AE still sounds great with the Fender type basses, just a different flavour of.
Different strokes etc.
B)

I swapped my Berg AE112's for SL112's and definitely preferred them.

I found the Bergs a bit boomy on certain stages and if pushed into tight corners (which is where I often end up).

Part of the attraction was the 20% weight saving too :)

The SL's are still my personal favourites of all,the neo loaded 1x12 cabs. I really like the CN's as well but find they sound significantly nicer in pairs whereas, to my ears, the SL's sound good both singly and paired up.

I'm actually currently using an AE210 for most gigs simply because it's a great 'form factor' for me. Mine is vertical aligned and it brings the 2nd speaker up to a nice height and puts out a lot of bottom end for such a shallow cab. The lack of cabinet depth means it's great in really tight spaces.

Having said all of this my favourite single cab solution would be a CN212. I love these cabs but they are just a fraction too bulky for the kind of gigs I'm playing.

I wish Aguilar would bring out an SL212, I think that could be a killer cab!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1398557138' post='2435322']
I swapped my Berg AE112's for SL112's and definitely preferred them.

I found the Bergs a bit boomy on certain stages and if pushed into tight corners (which is where I often end up).

Part of the attraction was the 20% weight saving too :)

The SL's are still my personal favourites of all,the neo loaded 1x12 cabs. I really like the CN's as well but find they sound significantly nicer in pairs whereas, to my ears, the SL's sound good both singly and paired up.

I'm actually currently using an AE210 for most gigs simply because it's a great 'form factor' for me. Mine is vertical aligned and it brings the 2nd speaker up to a nice height and puts out a lot of bottom end for such a shallow cab. The lack of cabinet depth means it's great in really tight spaces.

Having said all of this my favourite single cab solution would be a CN212. I love these cabs but they are just a fraction too bulky for the kind of gigs I'm playing.

I wish Aguilar would bring out an SL212, I think that could be a killer cab!
[/quote]

Weight saving is always a plus with my back although it's gotta sound good to these old lugs of mine :-)

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1398536483' post='2435084']
Isn't the CN112 a redesign of the AE112?
[/quote]

It may have only been intended to be an upgrade
but it turned out to be better than that, IMO.

Never been a committed fan of the AE112 even though I still use them
but I liked the voicing of the CN112 immediately.

Still can't justify replacing them with the CN's as the AE's are not my number
1 cab options, nor number 2's, come to that.

On the basis of that review with the parameters he used, I prefer the CN112 less in every guise
and I swing between the FF and the SL112, but since we could not possibly buy a cab on that basis,
the video effort is worthless to all intents and purposes.
Just goes to show that you have to do your own legwork and research, [i]IMO.[/i]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1398864018' post='2438406']
On the basis of that review with the parameters he used, I prefer the CN112 less in every guise
and I swing between the FF and the SL112, but since we could not possibly buy a cab on that basis,
the video effort is worthless to all intents and purposes.
Just goes to show that you have to do your own legwork and research, [i]IMO.[/i]
[/quote]

True, I actually couldn't decide between the berg and ag.

The bottom line for me is determining whether any of the new cabs are worth the upgrade. They both sound great.

Here is a youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51OT8dyS7M

with a jam video we did with SL112 as part of an extensive test of five 1x12 cabs in a music forum in Greece.

With all due respect to SL which I do consider it a very good cab, I believe that, at almost the same price, first the Barefaced Big Baby 2 and at a lower price, the Vanderkley 112EXT (both at the same test), in a different way each one, are better cabs . I am sorry but i've heard the Berg only once and for a very short time to have an opinion for a comparison.

Of course the above should be taken with all the usual disclaimers such as IMHO and YMMV... :) .

Edited by icastle
Links fixed.

[quote name='Audiokostas' timestamp='1398931191' post='2439055']
Here is a youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51OT8dyS7M

with a jam video we did with SL112 as part of an extensive test of five 1x12 cabs in a music forum in Greece.

With all due respect to SL which I do consider it a very good cab, I believe that, at almost the same price, first the Barefaced Big Baby 2 and at a lower price, the Vanderkley 112EXT (both at the same test), in a different way each one, are better cabs . I am sorry but i've heard the Berg only once and for a very short time to have an opinion for a comparison.

Of course the above should be taken with all the usual disclaimers such as IMHO and YMMV... :) .
[/quote]

Thanks. Vanderkley sure sounds nice on the demo.

Edited by icastle
Links fixed.

• 2 months later...

IIRC, I think the Vanderkley 112EXT and the Bergantino CN112 use the same woofer - the Faital 12PR300. The Berg version is OEM so I assume has some changes from stock.

High SPL, reasonably even in the mids, -3dB in the Berg size cab is apparently around 60hz. A lot of push for its size.

Would like to hear an SL112 to compare in the flesh.

Edited by funkle

The Bass Club Chicago video is pretty useless. The mike should be away from the Berg (and maybe the other two) as it's not picking up the tweeter where its positioned. They're missing a large part of the sound,

Why move on "probably the best cab I have" for a 5lb weight difference? I've a very bad back, even so, 5 lbs wouldn't be the deciding factor if I was buying a cab. At these weights my decision would still be 100% based on tone.

I've played AE112 cabs for 6 years and the only thing that made me change was the arrival of the CN range.

I used one AE112 with the acoustic duo. All other gigs I used two. The difference in a band is a big improvement over using just one. On very loud gigs I used 3 with my 2 ohm amp. A huge sound.

I have a great sounding Barefaced BB2 and while the differences are small, the Bergs are still getting all my playing time.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Audiokostas' timestamp='1398931191' post='2439055']
Here is a youtube link

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51OT8dyS7M[/media]

[/quote]

How did you likt the Tecamp xs112 in comparison with the other cabs in your video?