Why become a member? ×

Morning after gig pain.

Grassie

Hi all,

I've started to get a pain right at the top of my back, in between my shoulder blades where my neck ends and my back starts if you like. No pain while I'm playing generally, but certainly when I get out of bed in the morning after a gig and for (usually) a couple or three days after. I play an Ibanez ATK and these weigh about 4.5kg but feels like more! I use a 3in strap (nylon weave) which is pretty comfy but ultimately is not preventing discomfort. Anyone else had similar experiences? Cheers. :)

I try to stand properly most of the time, but I always sub-consciously end up with most of my weight on my right foot. Most gigs don't last for more than two and a half hours. Those Mono straps look good - might invest. :)

Sometimes without realising it we can tense up, and stay that way over the course of an entire gig. A 3" strap should be wide enough for comfort, so my guess is that the strap is not the cause, though you could try others.

I have two suggestions:

1. About ten minutes before the start of a gig, find yourself a quiet corner (not always easy, I know) and do some shoulder stretches (see link below......search You Tube for "Yoga Shoulder/Neck Stretches" for more..). Spend about two minutes or so doing these stretches. Also do them at the interval and at the end of the gig ( even better..before you hit the sack for the night). Do them again when you get up.

2. Try to be aware of your body tensing up (again, easier said than done at a gig). It may seem an odd thing to say but....dont forget to breathe !!! :blink: Try to take in [u]slow deep[/u] breaths as often as you can. This helps to keep the body relaxed.

Hope this helps.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmfqy8ApUWc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmfqy8ApUWc[/url]

I think the mono strap is a good idea, and yoga exercises, they certainly can't hurt! My bass is fairly heavy (never weighed it, but compared to some I've played) but I'm nearly 6' tall and the weight of the bass is distributed nicely due to its length and shape. I use a pretty wide, padded "comfort" strap for it. Plus, I'm hardly ever standing still onstage. When I'm playing funky riffs/slap basslines I'm always dancing, even leaving the stage area to join the patrons on the dance floor. That, and I look around the room a lot... not really focusing on anything in particular, but I don't look down at the bass that much. I've had some back pain now and then which I don't think even relates to playing, but nothing like what you describe. Try keeping your head up as much as possible, look around more... across the room/club, maintain good eye contact with band members, etc. which keeps you all "tighter" too. Maybe seeing a chiropractor would help? I've found that helpful in the past when I've had issues with my back now and then. Haven't in a long time now, touch wood!

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1397454363' post='2423964']
When im pain, seek medical advice. The internet doesn't know you like your physician does.
[/quote]

The problem is that doctors very rarely treat pain with anything other than painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs.....doesn't get to the root cause of the pain though.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1397454363' post='2423964']
When im pain, seek medical advice. The internet doesn't know you like your physician does.
[/quote]

Yes. Excellent advice. However, as the OP says that he only experiences this problem after gigs, I think it is reasonably safe to assume that something he does ( ..or does not do...) during the gig, causes the problem. A doctor will prescribe tablets for the pain, but I doubt if he can contribute much towards correcting the cause.

The above is not to say that I would ever dismiss seeking medical advice.

I had a similar thing when I was 35. Went to see my doctor and they just recommended painkillers and to sit down whilst playing (?). Ended up with a guy who does acupuncture and deep muscle massage. He said that the problem was one of balance. As I was predominantly putting weight on my right foot my spine was curving. Standing for long periods with weight on my right hand side of the body eventually had a negative effect on the left due to where the weight of my bass was.

He told me that I needed to distribute my weight evenly when playing, do some stretches before starting to play for an extended period and move about whilst playing if at all possible.

Followed these instructions and purchased 4" wide Levys straps for all my basses and guitars to help distribute the weight of the instruments a little more. The outcome, no back pain from playing for over 10 years now!

Acupuncture doesn't work for everybody, worked for me though! Hope this helps.

I'm nearly 52 - so if I lift my tea cup up too fast it hurts !! Not much point in me worrying about gig aches and pains , then , but my top tip is to buy a pair of cheap motorcycle gloves with reinforced knuckles for loading and unloading purposes. Nothing like a pub door to take the skin off your hands.

I've a Mono strap and a Comfort strap and find the Comfort one a little, well, more comfy. The weight displacement seems better.

In terms of standing. You'll find that you have a 'default' standing position when your play that you always revert too. It's just muscle memory. What ever this is, swop it over. So, if you stand with your left leg forward, try it with your right. The other thing is to turn your feet out wards slightly. It really feels strange to start with but it helped me a lot.

As a pro sax player and flautist, we were given lessons in the Alexander technique (posture etc) as the show I was working with we're sick of paying out for sickness!!! Again, it proved invaluable....