Why become a member? ×

GAS submission - BONGO

Monz

OK guys and gals

I have been toying with the idea of a new bass for while now, and since I just joined a working band the need for a second bass is good enough justification :)

I LOVE the Bongo so there is the dilema... H/HS/HH/HH w-piezo (what on earth does the piezo do anyway)

Can anyone with experience/expertise/opinion give me some pointers please.

(Waits with bated breath)

I used to have a Bongo 4 with the humbucker and single coil. the sc was just too close to the neck for my way of playing.

I havent played one but the 3 band single H Bongo gets good reviews.the HB is in the sweetspot and the 3 band EQ bites a bit more than the 4EQ on the other versions but as I've only ever seen and tried the HS and the HH,I'm only repeating what the Bongo H owners on the EBMM boards are saying
Strings and Things will send up a bass tp their nearest dealer to you for you to try so if you can try a HH or HS in stock it may be worth having a single H sent up to audition as I doubt you'll see any shops carrying one

FWIW I did love the 4 band EQ on the HS and I thought the bass sounded A1/first class

Bongo single H basses have the pickup in the 'sweet spot' which is supposed to be more similar to the pickup placement on a stingray. Some people say HH musicmans are difficult to slap because of the pickup placement, so single H or HS would avoid that problem. And piezos pick up sound from the bridge saddles and allow you to switch to a more 'woody' sound, but they are a bit of an expensive option.

See what you can try out and get whichever sounds and feels best for you.

I tried an HH bongo with what i believe was a 4 band EQ the other day, and i have to say it sounded awesome, played awesome, and the pickup hardly got in the way of my slapping at all, that preamp is so powerful the pickups don't need to be mounted particularly close to the strings so there's plenty of room for slapping. I'd try one out though if i were you. And i think the piezo is to make it sound more like an acoustic bass? As someone mentioned, that's 200 quid you won't see again!

I've owned 2. The 5 HH was immense. I will own another one day. The 5H/S with piezo was deeply underwhelming in comparison. The piezo was my first piezo thing. It was not good at all. I then got a Bolin with piezo. Just fabulous.

So to sum up (for me) 5HH = fab. 5H/S piezo = not the fire breathing dragon I was hoping for.

YMMV obv.