Why become a member? ×

Little Mark no luck

Ou7shined

Some of you may have read about the grief I've had with a certain LMII, well that problem is nearly/hopefully out the way. Luckily I found a replacement online for an unbelievable £439 with free postage and paid via CC but the nice bloke (who I have already spoken to as the one advertised on their site was all they had in stock but had supposedly been sold - I agreed to accept a short delay until he could get one sent direct from the distributor) just phoned me saying that there has been a price increase with the distributor and after scanning other prices online needs another £30. I said I'd get back to him within the hour.

I've got 2 quite important gigs on Friday & Saturday.

My head's in a bin today.
Should I accept the price increase for an easy life?
Or should I risk loosing the great deal and quote my stat rights (which I believe say that they have to sell for the stated price)?
Or haggle?

[size=1]edit : taken the "quick response needed" bit out of the title.[/size] :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='239073' date='Jul 14 2008, 12:28 PM']Some of you may have read about the grief I've had with a certain LMII, well that problem is nearly/hopefully out the way. Luckily I found a replacement online for an unbelievable £439 with free postage and paid via CC but the nice bloke (who I have already spoken to as the one advertised on their site was all they had in stock but had supposedly been sold - I agreed to accept a short delay until he could get one sent direct from the distributor) just phoned me saying that there has been a price increase with the distributor and after scanning other prices online needs another £30. I said I'd get back to him within the hour.

I've got 2 quite important gigs on Friday & Saturday.

My head's in a bin today.
Should I accept the price increase for an easy life?
Or should I risk loosing the great deal and quote my stat rights (which I believe say that they have to sell for the stated price)?
Or haggle?[/quote]

They do [u]not [/u]have to sell for the stated price, it's called an "invitation to treat" which means they are inviting you to offer to buy it for the stated price, which means they can refuse to sell it at that price.

However, they agreed to you buying for the stated price and accepted the payment from you which constitutes a contract. They now need to supply you with the amp at that price or cancel the contract.

I would negotiate with them as it is unfair and they presumably want your repeat custom. I think they should waive the extra £30 for causing you inconvenience, but they are under no obligation to.

Why not bid for this: has he changed any of the wording since last time?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Markbass-Little-Mark-II-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ170238818511QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170238818511&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Markbass-Little-Mark...p3286.m14.l1318[/url]

I think £469 is still a good price, why not see if they will split the difference? Everyone else is selling them for a lot more with the Euro increasing in value, some are over £500 now!

[quote name='silddx' post='239123' date='Jul 14 2008, 01:19 PM']I would negotiate with them as it is unfair and they presumably want your repeat custom. I think they should waive the extra £30 for causing you inconvenience, but they are under no obligation to.[/quote]
+1 on this they "sold" you one at the this price it's not your fault that the one that they had in stock had been sold to somebody else. That is bad communication within the shop and you shouldn't be penalised for their mistake :)
I would go back to them and point this out to them and maybe try for an extra discount for the hassle...if you don't ask you don't get! I hope you get something sorted soon mate.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='239124' date='Jul 14 2008, 01:20 PM']Why not bid for this: has he changed any of the wording since last time?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Markbass-Little-Mark-II-Bass-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ170238818511QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170238818511&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Markbass-Little-Mark...p3286.m14.l1318[/url][/quote]
Jeez I can't believe he's got it up so quick. I've not even got my money back from him yet! :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='239124' date='Jul 14 2008, 01:20 PM']I think £469 is still a good price, why not see if they will split the difference? Everyone else is selling them for a lot more with the Euro increasing in value, some are over £500 now![/quote]
That's exactly what I've done. I realise it's still a steal so 15 bucks on top ain't too bad I suppose.
Interestingly if they post to a business address they can reduce the price by having a lesser postal insurance.
They're going to be selling them for £515 from now on.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='239127' date='Jul 14 2008, 01:25 PM']Any Basschatter near Aberdeen who could lend ou7shined a head for the weekend maybe?

Gives him a bit more time to decide what to do.[/quote]
Thanks for this mate.
I do still have my Ashy 500 combo so I wouldn't have been stuck. It's just that Friday and Saturday are in Glasgow and Edinburgh respectively and I really couldn't be arsed dragging it around from Aberdeen all weekend.

Thanks guys for all your input. He did say to me that there is a clause on their webby that states that prices are only an indication bla bla bla... when I mentioned my statutory rights etc. so I didn't pursue it.
It has been a pain but I guess in the end I'm still pretty please with the outcome though... provided I get it before Friday. :)

Got my LMK from Guitar Mania. They matched the cheapest web price I could find and still smiled as they sold it to me.

'ikkle Mark II is £499 listed
[url="http://www.guitar-mania.com/markbass-little-mark-head-watt-p-294.html?osCsid=2401b911b5d0b70235ed4d4140c05d34"]Guitar Mania[/url]

These guys do that too
[url="http://www.soundsinternational.co.uk/"]http://www.soundsinternational.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='239231' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:20 PM']dont appear to have it listed anymore.[/quote]
Yeah I know (one of the reasons I thought I might lose the deal completely) but in the end he absolutely said to me that they'd be selling them again. They are still doing the Markbass 4x10 cab - I didn't see it on there before so don't know if they've updated it's listing or if it's still at it's "we're having problems with our distributor" price.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='239124' date='Jul 14 2008, 01:20 PM']Why not bid for this: [b]has he changed any of the wording since last time?[/b][/quote]
Sorry I didn't see this bit before (probably reeling from the shock :)) but yes the listing has changed. It used to read...

Markbass Little Mark II - Bass Amp Head [b]Immaculate Condition [/b]with carry case..

It now says....

Markbass Little Mark II - Bass Amp Head [b]Very Good Condition has never been giged home use only [/b]with carry case. Any questions feel free to contact me..

I'll give it to him for learning from his mistakes. Although he might be stretching it a bit with "[b]Very[/b] Good Condition".

Part of me wants to warn prospective buyers what they'll be getting as he has omitted to say that it has no serial number and may or may not be an ex-demo/display model but another part of me wants to get my money back before I do anything else. *sigh* does anyone still remember when ebay was uncomplicated and friendly?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='239166' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:10 PM']Jeez I can't believe he's got it up so quick. I've not even got my money back from him yet! :)[/quote]

er ... I don't mean to worry you but maybe he needs to sell it to get some money to pay you back because he's already spent it.

If it was me I'd try reporting it to ebay.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='239323' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:12 PM']er ... I don't mean to worry you but maybe he needs to sell it to get some money to pay you back because he's already spent it.

If it was me I'd try reporting it to ebay.[/quote]
Check [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22037"]this[/url] out man.
There have been more developments in my favour but I'm still treading on eggshells until I get my refund then his ass will be well and truly reported.:)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='239316' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:06 PM']He's still got the wrong details - 750W RMS @ 4 ohm etc.[/quote]Aye, common schoolboy error cutting and pasting wrong model from GAK or whatever.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='239316' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:06 PM']And the bidding is private listing so we can't email the bidders to tell them the truth.[/quote]I'm not 100% on this but I think that the winning bidders details are listed post auction. If so they can expect a wee link to my other thread soonish. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='239448' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:39 PM']Check [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22037"]this[/url] out man.
There have been more developments in my favour but I'm still treading on eggshells until I get my refund then his ass will be well and truly reported.:)[/quote]

Yes, I knew about the other thread and your dispute. I meant that I would report to ebay that he was selling again without having done the repayment.

I feel for the person that bought it but if (unlike me) they can live with the fact that it's probably stolen property then good for them for scoring a good amp for that price really. I gigged it once before I noticed the serial number was missing (so much for the new auction's claim of never been gigged) and it was brilliant, really prominent on stage and loud enough to drown out our hard hitting drummer.

The [s] dickwad[/s]... er... bloke has contacted me regarding my bank details now (post recent auction) so I guess my refund is coming at last.

It turns out that I can't see the new buyers details but when he leaves or receives f/b.... :)

I dont know if the winning bidder will appreciate someone e-mailing him saying "oh by the way, the amp youve just bought is probably stolen, have a nice day" I say leave it be and enjoy your amp when it comes through!

I was lucky enough to buy a LM2 a few weeks ago brand new at the old price (£450 W/postage) so im pretty pleased the prices have gone up!!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='239704' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:04 AM']I dont know if the winning bidder will appreciate someone e-mailing him saying "oh by the way, the amp youve just bought is probably stolen, have a nice day" I say leave it be and enjoy your amp when it comes through!

I was lucky enough to buy a LM2 a few weeks ago brand new at the old price (£450 W/postage) so im pretty pleased the prices have gone up!![/quote]

What do you think we do when we spot fake Fenders on eBay? It's up to them what they do with the advice, but I think you'll find that a few people have been extremely grateful for our "oh by the way, the bass you've just bought is probably fake, [b]this is why[/b] (important part), have a nice day".

Turning a blind eye to these kind of shenanigans is as good as condoning it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='239772' date='Jul 15 2008, 09:37 AM']What do you think we do when we spot fake Fenders on eBay? It's up to them what they do with the advice, but I think you'll find that a few people have been extremely grateful for our "oh by the way, the bass you've just bought is probably fake, [b]this is why[/b] (important part), have a nice day".

Turning a blind eye to these kind of shenanigans is as good as condoning it.[/quote]

Im with ste_m3.

we still have no proof it was stolen.

While it might well have been there is no proof and Ou7shined go this money back (hopefully).
Im sure Ebay was aware of this seller so its down to them to stop him, once they have proof it was stolen (or that he is regularly selling stolen gear).
Its not like he took the money and ran, he gave a refund so he still hasn't broken any law.
Fakes are another matter though. Easily proven IME.

Edited by dave_bass5

/me shrugs

Each individual case should be decided upon its own merit. Personally I think that eBay's got well cut-throat over the past wee while (had to leave my first neg this month and i'm on the cusp of having to go through claim #2 in my eBay life) and anything which can be done to help people make an informed choice regarding the items on offer is helpful.

It goes without saying that such emails should be worded carefully. Present facts, not opinions.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='239856' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:28 AM']Im with ste_m3.

we still have no proof it was stolen.

While it might well have been there is no proof and Ou7shined go this money back (hopefully).
Im sure Ebay was aware of this seller so its down to them to stop him, once they have proof it was stolen (or that he is regularly selling stolen gear).
Its not like he took the money and ran, he gave a refund so he still hasn't broken any law.
Fakes are another matter though. Easily proven IME.[/quote]

I didn't actually say to eBay that I thought the amp was stolen choosing instead to go down the "not as described" route. However I did mention that Markbass and Proel said to me that the amp is anomalous and should be considered suspect.

In a funny way he did take the money and run. He used it to fund a trip to Portugal knowing full well that I wanted a refund, then came back and sold the amp again (hopefully) to pay me back but I still haven't seen any of it yet. I'm sure he was laughing all the way really. I don't think it's fair that he should come out of this unscathed.