Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

String question

Papabull

Hi all,

Can anyone let me know if its possible to get/buy strings for a normal 34" scale 4 string bass that have al low string tension or feel? I realise that this may well be a stupid question as I guess string tension is governed by scale length i.e. the smaller the scale / neck length the lower the tension….. however if you don't ask you'll never know..

many thanks

PB

Guest bassman7755

Tension is a function of pitch, length and mass. Those are the only variables so given that pitch and length are fixed, in order to get a lower tension you need a string with less mass. The most obvious way to do that is to use a lighter gauge ..

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1396639986' post='2416037']
Tension is a function of pitch, length and mass. Those are the only variables so given that pitch and length are fixed, in order to get a lower tension you need a string with less mass. The most obvious way to do that is to use a lighter gauge ..
[/quote]

Possibly a bit more to it than that. Tension is mainly carried by the core, so a narrower core with chunkier windings can have the same mass as, but less tension than, a string of the same external gauge.

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1396635735' post='2415969']
Hi all,

Can anyone let me know if its possible to get/buy strings for a normal 34" scale 4 string bass that have al low string tension or feel? I realise that this may well be a stupid question as I guess string tension is governed by scale length i.e. the smaller the scale / neck length the lower the tension….. however if you don't ask you'll never know..

many thanks

PB
[/quote]
Technically you are referring to 'compliance' rather than 'tension'.

DR Hi-Beams are generally thought to have low (perceived) tension, whereas their Lo-riders have a much tighter feel...

Edited by peteb

Why do you ask? What are your requirements?

For flats defo Thomastik jazz flats, or if they are too pricey for you, Lakland light flats.

For round wounds look for strings with a round core such as the Hi Beams.
Status Hotwire pro round(core) are low tension (100-40) but feel and sound fantastic. Dead responsive, supple without being floppy. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1396640293' post='2416043']
Possibly a bit more to it than that. Tension is mainly carried by the core, so a narrower core with chunkier windings can have the same mass as, but less tension than, a string of the same external gauge.
[/quote]
If the mass is the same then the construction of the string makes no difference at all to tension which is fixed by length. pitch and string mass per unit length.

Different constructions do make a difference to tension if the mass is different.

However, even when the mass is the same there can be differences in compliance (sometimes called elasticity) : [url="http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm"]http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm[/url]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1396636645' post='2415990']
Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats or Jazz Rounds are both low tension.
[/quote]

+1.

TI's are one of the lowest tension rounds and flats out there. Depends on the tone you require.

I think we're generally a bit lazy here in our use of the term 'tension'; I know what somebody means when they talk about it; it's how the string responds when struck but yes in actual fact we're talking about compliance which as mentioned depends on numerous factors. Broadly though, we expect higher tension strings to be less compliant.

Sincere thanks to all that have have responded here. I have to say I am amazed at this community (BASS CHAT) it is incredible. What a resource of knowledge and expertise…… and FREE. I'm not sure what 'compliance ' means. What i've noticed is that I tend to prefer a string tension that is 'Softer" (probably not the right term!!) and is less resistance to bending and pressure. I'm not sure if that makes sense! The lighter gauge makes sense to me as does the mass of the string…… Anyeay I'll definitely be trying either the HI BEAMS or THOMASTIC JAZZ ROUNDS

Sincere thanks to all contributors. Thanks a really lot!
PB

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1396649564' post='2416204']
I'll definitely be trying either the HI BEAMS or THOMASTIC JAZZ ROUNDS
[/quote]

Just be aware that the Thomastik rounds are pricey. I can only vouch for the flats, but I have read great reviews about the rounds as well.

One of the cheapest places IMO to find them is :

[url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RALBD/Thomastik/1570.html#1010"]http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RALBD/Thomastik/1570.html#1010[/url]

Though converting from sterling to euros might add to the cost.

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1396649961' post='2416210'] RE Compliance….. I've just checked out ESSENTIAL TENSIONS url link. BRILLIANT all makes sense now ..It;s elasticity I'm referring to cheers the PB [/quote]

Note however that the conclusion drawn in that link is the opposite of the commonly held one re added non- speaking string length and its relation to compliance.

This usually comes up on a debate about through body stringing as apposed to anchored at the bridge. That site claims that extra string length is likely to give a more compliant (ie softer) feel whereas the anecdotal evidence from many who have tried through body stringing is that the extra length actually gives less compliance.

Just something else you may want to try if your bass has the option of through body or bridge anchored stringing.

Cheers

Ed

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1396696353' post='2416494']
Note however that the conclusion drawn in that link is the opposite of the commonly held one re added non- speaking string length and its relation to compliance.

This usually comes up on a debate about through body stringing as apposed to anchored at the bridge. That site claims that extra string length is likely to give a more compliant (ie softer) feel whereas the anecdotal evidence from many who have tried through body stringing is that the extra length actually gives less compliance.

Just something else you may want to try if your bass has the option of through body or bridge anchored stringing.

Cheers

Ed
[/quote]

The argument that through stringing increases compliance seems to be based on the idea that the string can move over the bridge slightly thus allowing the elasticity on the non-vibrating part behind the bridge to contribute to the elasticity of the vibrating part.
In practice I doubt this happens to any great degree especially with roundwounds where friction at the bridge would be very high, plus through stringing tends to result in a higher bridge break angle which would isolate the vibrating and non-vibrating parts of the string even more.

Yes, but the commonly pushed theory is that through body stringing *decreases* compliance - ie provides a stiffer string for any given guage.

I have my own theory on why that may be but it also assumes the transfer of tension to the non- speaking portions of the string.

All I can add is that I can definitely detect a very slight change in the feel of a string if it strung through the body as opposed to the strung through the bridge on most basses I have tried comparing either way, but I didn't ever notice much difference in tone either way.

If the O.P is looking to compare DR's and TI Jazz Rounds , then Sunbeams ( i.e nickel Hi Beams) would probably be the best choice. I use Sunbeams on my Precision Bass and on my Lakland fretless and they sound great and last ages. The TI Jazz rounds are great too and have a unique sound and feel , but they are rather pricey and be aware that they really are [i]very[/i] slack -feeling, to the extent that to begin with you might have to adapt your playing technique a little bit to accommodate them.

Edited by Dingus