Why become a member? ×

When do I call it quits?

Weststarx

I was in the [i]exact[/i] same situation as this earlier in the year, but I never took steps to address it. Got on really well with the lead guitarist, drummer wasn't the best and a bit of a control freak as he always saw it as being "his band", given that he started the original line up. We were also ditching songs that were about 85% gig ready as some were getting bored of it. It basically came to a head when after two or three particularly fruitless rehearsals on the bounce, I decided enough was enough. In the ten months or so I lasted, I think I saw around 14 - 15 different members in that time, trying to get a settled line up and when we did, the age old argument of songs choices basically got in the way. Can safely say that it will be my first and last...at least for a very long time...attempt at forming / joining a covers band!!

As far as songs go I leave it up to the guitarist and singer. Too many bands where the setlist has caused enough problems to spend anymore time discussing what to play.

Tell me what to play. I'll learn it and play it. Job done.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1396455530' post='2413901']
As far as songs go I leave it up to the guitarist and singer. Too many bands where the setlist has caused enough problems to spend anymore time discussing what to play.

Tell me what to play. I'll learn it and play it. Job done.
[/quote]

Surely you must draw the line somewhere? We are a punky / indie covers band, when the vocalist started pushing to do "Moves Like Jagger" I threatened to walk....safe to say Moves Like Jagger is not going to be in the set anytime soon

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1396460193' post='2413980']

Surely you must draw the line somewhere? We are a punky / indie covers band, when the vocalist started pushing to do "Moves Like Jagger" I threatened to walk....safe to say Moves Like Jagger is not going to be in the set anytime soon
[/quote]

Not really. A song is a song. Just play the things. We're a classic rock covers band. Takes about 15minutes to roughly flesh out a song, busk it with the band to see if it works in a band situation, go away and learn it properly for the next week. Job done.

The thing is, you didn't even busk it in the style of a punk/indie band. How do you know what spin the rest of the band will give it. The only bit you need to keep original are the melody, chords and lyrics. Most audiences are fairly open to new ideas if they recognise the tune/words.

"I love your take on Moves Like Jagger."

Edited by TimR

I actually hate 90% of our set. I would love to play songs that I like, that are fresh. I'm really jealous of our drummer cos he has the same taste in music as me and has another band he plays in who do just rock stuff. I would love another band but can't as I work away and only have time for the one band

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1396394259' post='2413201']
Personally, I'd call it a day, but I have a high reliance on performing.

There is another option though, why not try and find some middle ground?

Start looking around for another band that does gig and move the first band into 'meeting up with mates to play some stuff' status.

After all, if your existing band doesn't gig then there's little chance of a diary clash. :)
[/quote]

It's obvious the others see it as a mates having a jam type of thing so if the friendships are important to you, this reply above is the best, and sensible option.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1396392227' post='2413182']
Hello fellow bassists!

Please help with my predicament....

I've been in this covers band now for what will be a year next month.

We've not gigged, and a few members don't seem to learn new songs and like throwing out others we've done and perfected.

So we've got absolutely nowhere in a year and there's little to no progress happening.

Now normally I don't waste time and would of left by now, but the guys I play with are great people, and the lead guitarist and I really get on, and we regularly go see bands together.

Its just musically it really isn't happening for me.

I'm in fear that if I leave I will lose these great people I've met but I've really had enough of not going anywhere with it and have told them this.

But still I find myself frustrated coming home from practice rehearsing the same songs over and over again that we perfected 10 months ago.

Do I leave for musical reasons and risk losing some good friends?

Or put up with it?
[/quote]

I would not have waited that long: it's not happening, move along.

But I totally understand it's hard to do, especially if you liked the people. I have very recently handed in my "resignation letter" to a band I've been with for about 9 months now. In this case we have gigged (although less than I would have liked) and they're a great bunch... but I'm struggling to find the time at the moment for my main band and the other projects, so it was starting to be frustrating. Different reasons from yours, but similar end result: it was not fun. If I tried to keep it going, I'm sure eventually they would notice I was not there 100%, and similarly, if you are not enjoying your band, that can be picked up by the others, and it's not a nice vibe to give off.
Best to quit before things get too much and your frustration becomes anger. Quit in good terms, especially as you may come across them in the future and you may even play together again... and stay in touch if you like them as people, because networking is very important.

Move on, and find something you enjoy. It exists out there, but you won't find it if you just "put up with it".

You don't have to lose friends just because you leave the band. If someone decides they can't talk to you anymore because you quit, then they were never really your friends, so it's good you found out now. But seriously, I have left quite a few bands, and only one I never want to see them again (but still did it in a civilised manner and I'd smile if I see them and say hi ;))

Edited by mcnach

alternatively: keep this band for a while longer while you try to stir it towards more focus practice and gigs. If you think you have enough songs for a reasonable set, why not book a gig a month or a couple of months from now? Having a deadline like that helps focus a band like nothing else! When my now main band was only playing 45min sets, we bacame a bit stagnant for a bit. There had been changes in personnel so we got stuck with a set list and getting new members to play them well... and we got stuck there. We had many other songs in various stages of writing, and songs we used to play but forgot about. Then we got a 2h gig offer and we said "sure, we've got material, we'll do it"... and ran to the rehearsal room thinking "sh*t, we need to come up with material in 3 weeks". We worked fast, focused, and made it. Sure, some were not great, but the next few months were spent improving our 90-120min set repertoire, throwing songs away that didn't work, or modifying them, and writing new ones...

Then, while you're doing that, you may also look for another band. Being in two bands is perfectly possible for most people. If your first one does not gig, there will not be any date clashes, so there's nothing to lose, and you learn a lot by playing with different people. Maybe that way you can keep your band of friends and at the same time have an outlet for your desire to play live?

With any band, they are plenty of great musicians out there that have one very common problem.
laziness.
They just can not be bothered to sit down at home and learn new material.
You need to learn to avoid these poeple as on any band you will only ever move at the pace of the slowest musco.
If that is an idle begger then your band is stuffed.