Why become a member? ×

Norman Watt Roy last night

BobVbass

Wilko was supporting Quo last night - brilliant gig all round, we were about 5 rows from the front right in front of Alan Lancaster and Mr Watt Roy - he was incredible, never seen anything like it, I was so close I could hear his back line (svt and ashdown abm 15s) - amazing mixture of spot on rhythm and chords, brilliant.

He was playing a shoreline gold jazz ( of course) not sure what it actually was couldn't quite make out the make of the guitar, wasn't a fender though. Whole evening was amazing.

He is great isn't he :),,
He flogged his old Fender shoreline gold jazz and now uses his signature bass centre copy, [url="http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/bass-centre-blockhead-bass.html"]http://www.basscentr...khead-bass.html[/url], they do a rhythmstick stick version as well, which I have also seen him use, which is a copy of his 71 Fender P with the extra jazz pickup.. His tribute to Jaco at the time I think.

Edited by Highfox

I was up in the circle - so dissapointed I couldn't really hear Norman, even his solo was pretty indistinct :( Soundman needs a kick up the a*se methinks. No problem hearing Alan Lancaster though, possibly his less technical playing style doesn't need to cut through in the same way. Great rocking' gig though, just like the "Old Days"!

We were up in the circle too. Excellent seats, we could actually see and hear the whole gig and we were at a reasonable distance, but yes, Andy you're right, Norman's bass was barely audible, badly mixed in and thin. We had no problem hearing any of the other instruments in both bands, so it wasn't due to our position in the house.

Edited by bluejay

I used to go and see Wilko quite a lot at the Sir George Robey in Finsbury park years ago. Small venue and I could always hear the on stage sound. Norman's playing was always the highlight of the night, I was like a rabbit in headlights when he was on.