Why become a member? ×

Does my bass sound 'weird' in this?

linear

Sorry, this is a bit dumb, but I'd really appreciate it if a couple of folks could have a quick listen to this recording of the output from my bass and give their opinion of if it sounds roughly 'ok'. This is just my BB414, P-type pickup, running direct into a recording interface. It sounds a bit odd to me, on the D and G strings especially - it's distorted almost, but there's no clipping taking place that I can see.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/davidmccreary/bass-sound-test"]http://soundcloud.co...bass-sound-test[/url]

thx

Edited by linear

That sounds fine to me. I listened to it through my Focusrite Forte audio interface into my M-Audio BX5A monitor speakers and couldn't hear any distortion.

What setup are you listening to it through? Maybe your speakers can't handle the bass without EQing some low end off it.

Thanks guys. I have no real reference for what a bass might sound like when recorded direct in this way, hence this thread.

I don't have monitors to listen on unfortunately; I'm using Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

The louder levels - that's probably me being rubbish and pulling a bit hard on the strings. It hadn't occured to me until now, but I think I may have unintentionally developed a tendency to play a little harder on the D and G as a result of me feeling they're not cutting through so well when I play in a band context. However, in that vein, I think a while back I raised the lower split pickup, so I'll try moving it back down a bit. It doesn't look overly close, but I don't suppose that means anything really.

I'm recording into a Scarlett 2i2. The bass does seem to have quite a high output - I have to set the preamp level as low as it will go and even roll off the bass volume pot a touch to keep the level meter consistently in the green. It is staying in the the green though.

More fret buzz than anything... :D

Seriously though, I'm listening on an Edirol UA5 through Mackie Actives 39Hz-20kHz and heard no distortion. I agree with SteveK in that any aberration is more likely playing inconsistency than any problem with the bass. I'm assuming that this recording is not compressed in any way?

Edited by discreet

No compression, it's just as it comes from the bass and through the interface. Based on what you guys are saying it sounds pretty normal. I just wanted to double-check - I was a little surprised with how parpy it sounded.

The fret noise is a whole other issue. Apart from the obvious fluffs where I just have't fretted properly, I do seem to find it difficult to lift off a note with my left hand without getting a little buzzy click.

Edited by linear