Why become a member? ×

Reinforcing vocals

spinynorman

It's amazing how many singers don't seem to have a clue how to use the tools of their trade...mics, mixing desks /pa systems, monitor , fx etc and it always left to one of the band. If you turned up to play as a bassist or guitarist with as little idea of how your instrument and amp worked you'd be sacked from the band yet singers often seem to have the approach that it's someone else's job. Get your singer to watch some pro's at work and the Mic technique will be glaringly obvious. There's all ways going to be rooms you play that are a pain soundwise but knowing how the pa works and listening goes a long way. The other question is how loud is your band. If your too loud for the room then nothing is going to stop feedback whilst trying to get vocals louder than the band...not even the biggest and best pa. Another cause of feedback is too much reverb, which is another bone of contention with singers...they always want everything swimming in it and absolutely no reverb in the monitors. But most important get her to sing INTO the Mic.

TC-Helicon Mike Mechanic unit. or the Harmony Singer.

Both awesome.

I use a Harmony Singer. Adds a little reverb (much better than most cheap PA) and a preset compression, de-esser and EQ. And if you run a guitar into it, the unit will read the chord structure and generate harmony if you need it.

I don't use the harmony part, but the pre-set Tone control is fantastic and really brings out the quality of a voice.

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1396288148' post='2411891']
If you turned up to play as a bassist or guitarist with as little idea of how your instrument and amp worked you'd be sacked from the band yet singers often seem to have the approach that it's someone else's job.
[/quote]

I've worked with quite a few guitarists who have no idea how to use their amp. The volume control seems to be a particularly difficult one to master. :ph34r:

Had this same problem with our drummer a few years ago, just couldn't get the level with an SM58 so got one of these, http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/dynamic-microphones/q4cl/ Twice as much level before feedback. Not the only mic to look at of course, but the right mic is out there somewhere.

Loads of good ideas here, thanks.

I have to be diplomatic on the mic technique, it's not like she's a beginner. But I do agree it's the most likely solution to the problem.

I found an Audix OM7 going at a reasonable price s/h on eBay, I thought that might force some better habits. We'll see.

She might not be a beginner, but she is performing like one...
She needs to up her game and she needs to know that and address it.
You can say you have noticed this and that and it is causing concerns
but you are all there to help her ....
No real way to sugarcoat that, tho..as of course, you know.
I am of the opinion that rehearsals and band meets are where these things
need to be talked about for the good of all. This is not you ganging up on her
as you want it to work...
And if you don't deal with it, you may well drag the band down with her.

I've been in a similar position with a singer. She was way too quiet, and was always moaning about her sound and feedback. Claimed to know nothing about it technically, but when we suggested "have you thought about a better mic" (she had a very cheap one), or "could you sing a bit louder", or "could you get closer to the Mic"? she always responded "Oh no, its not that, it must be the PA". It wasn't the PA becauue anyone else sounded fine through it.

Band split in the end.