Why become a member? ×

Another ticket thread..(I 'm blaming Kate bush this time ;)

Not many bands left that I need to go to (Rammstein ,rush, metallica, jarre). However, after reading the Kate bush thread, I feel sorry for those who tried, and failed to get tkts(98%i reckon). Years ago , up until the mid '90s I could either go down to venue and que up on day of sale, or pay a little more through reputable booking agents.
Those days, you knew the cost of tkts. Even when you booked from a reputable agent, you could leave a deposit , and collect at your leisure.

What infuriates me now, is that even in the ads in the press, you don't know the actual cost of the tkts. You know the rest; added fees made up etc.
Do they even do tour posters of bands on street walls anymore?? Used to love trying to peel them off in the damp weather.

With all this corruption , isn't there a way that people could boycott this system , and just not go? Maybe the gvt could close these websites down.?!?
Last saw the stones at Twickenham a few years ago. We talked about going to see them again . No way . Not with the p@ss they extracted from the punters recently.
Mick jagger looks more of a prune than bing Crosby . Wasn't impressed with the Glastonbury performance tbh.
As for Bono ' give your money to the starving'' ..he canf@@k right off. Wonder how much U2 tkt prices will be next tour?
Thing is, I don't mind paying anything up to say£60 for a Rammstein gig, as you get The kitchen sink thrown in. No pretence. Plus they are only gonna be around every 4 years or so.any way, how much were the Kate bush tkts?

[nostalgia] When I were a lad I would get the bus into Sheffield, go to the City Hall or Top Rank ticket office, and pay for my tickets at face value. [/nostalgia]

Cut to present day and 90% of the tickets are snapped up online by professional scalpers, scumbags who have no intention of going to the gig and immediately put them up for sale at double the face value. If you are lucky enough to buy a ticket in your own right, you will get stung with a 'booking fee'. Sorry, what is that? A fee for the privilege of buying a ticket! Rarely can you simply buy the ticket at face value from the venue. Imagine getting to the till in Asda with your shopping, and they add on a £5 'shopping fee'.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1396044622' post='2409505']
[nostalgia]If you are lucky enough to buy a ticket in your own right, you will get stung with a 'booking fee'. Sorry, what is that? A fee for the privilege of buying a ticket! Rarely can you simply buy the ticket at face value from the venue. Imagine getting to the till in Asda with your shopping, and they add on a £5 'shopping fee'.
[/quote]

Your shopping fee is wrapped up in the cost of food. Booking fee pays for the infrastructure of the website, databases, staff etc. I'd much rather pick my own seat through the booking website than posting off a cheque and crossing my fingers that in six months you'll get a grubby brown envelope with some badly-printed tickets for seats in the nosebleeds. Ticketmaster (etc) are up front these days about the cost of the ticket, the fees, the postage.

What annoys me is being charged the same amount for postage or the print at home option. Huh?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1396042824' post='2409480']
With all this corruption , isn't there a way that people could boycott this system , and just not go? Maybe the gvt could close these websites down.?!?
[/quote]

Of course there is. not going to such gigs is the easiest thing in the world, in fact I'd guess that 99.9999% of the population DO boycott these gigs. Thing is, there is still a tiny proportion of people who ARE prepared to pay outrageous prices and put up with all the associated crap, so it goes on.

But that's OK isn't it? Boycotting a gig is one thing but encouraging, or worse, forcing, people to do the same is quite another. Do we really want governments to control music gigs?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1396085370' post='2409728']
Your shopping fee is wrapped up in the cost of food. Booking fee pays for the infrastructure of the website, databases, staff etc.
[/quote]

Of course you are right. In my youth, venues handled their own ticket sales, or (somewhat straining my memory here) you could get them from some of the independent record shops. I'm not certain whether these shops charged a fee on top of the face value, I think they took their commission out of the face value, or else acted as agents in return for the increased footfall. Ticket-selling then was mainly a local activity, whereas now the Internet has made it global.

To me, the worst of it is the lack of any serious attempt to enforce anti-touting measures. A venue is not going to implement any system that slows down punters coming through the door and flocking to the bar to buy overpriced beer in flimsy plastic glasses. I believe Glastonbury has an effective system, although I've never been.

I wouldn't mind so much failing to get a ticket if I were 'competing' against other genuine potential gig-goers; in fact the competition is with loads of people buying simply to make an instant mark-up. A while back I tried to buy tickets for a one-off small gig by Robert Plant. I knew my chances were slim so I wasn't too surprised when I didn't get any. I went on eBay straight away, and sure enough immediately found a listing for a pair of tickets at twice the face value. The listing was quite lengthy and detailed, so the seller had obviously prepared it beforehand, then started it running once they'd obtained tickets. People can now become touts in the comfort of their own home! I didn't buy the tickets btw, but they went pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, the chances are slim for any legislation (or even a worthwhile industry code) to address online touting. The present government will not do anything to restrict the 'free market' (never mind that it is in fact being distorted) and the industry players are doing quite nicely thank you very much.

Fortunately, Swindon has some decent live music venues (Wyvern Theatre, Arts Centre, Riffs Bar, the Vic*) where you can enjoy live music without being shafted on the ticket prices. You may not see the big names there, but since when has that been a guarantee of a good time? [see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/233118-i-dont-like-watching-gigs/"]this thread[/url]]

*[size=2]except for the shocking PA sound[/size]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1396089134' post='2409783']
Of course you are right. In my youth, venues handled their own ticket sales, or (somewhat straining my memory here) you could get them from some of the independent record shops. I'm not certain whether these shops charged a fee on top of the face value, I think they took their commission out of the face value, or else acted as agents in return for the increased footfall. Ticket-selling then was mainly a local activity, whereas now the Internet has made it global.

To me, the worst of it is the lack of any serious attempt to enforce anti-touting measures. A venue is not going to implement any system that slows down punters coming through the door and flocking to the bar to buy overpriced beer in flimsy plastic glasses. I believe Glastonbury has an effective system, although I've never been.

I wouldn't mind so much failing to get a ticket if I were 'competing' against other genuine potential gig-goers; in fact the competition is with loads of people buying simply to make an instant mark-up. A while back I tried to buy tickets for a one-off small gig by Robert Plant. I knew my chances were slim so I wasn't too surprised when I didn't get any. I went on eBay straight away, and sure enough immediately found a listing for a pair of tickets at twice the face value. The listing was quite lengthy and detailed, so the seller had obviously prepared it beforehand, then started it running once they'd obtained tickets. People can now become touts in the comfort of their own home! I didn't buy the tickets btw, but they went pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, the chances are slim for any legislation (or even a worthwhile industry code) to address online touting. The present government will not do anything to restrict the 'free market' (never mind that it is in fact being distorted) and the industry players are doing quite nicely thank you very much.

[/quote]

I fully agree

I see the "Rumours" line up of Fleetwood Mac are touring North America this year......They are the one band Mrs2611 would love to see, I know full well if they do come over here the greedy scumbag touts will see to it that it will be unaffordable to go.......I will start my guess at £140.00 each for tickets and once the oinking touts get in there I can see them being upwards of £500.00 a pop.......even at the start price I very much doubt we would be going