Why become a member? ×

Spot reapir / refininsh of some serious dings on Fender Jazz?

bisonkills

Hey all,

I recently acquired a Fender Jazz USA bass (2007 I think) in a trade. Sadly, the previous owner put some serious dings in the finish. I don't mind a bit of wear, but this is plain ugly.

Do you reckon these are repairable with some spot repairs / re-finishing? Or should I just resign myself to it...

Secondly, anyone know of someone in the North Yorkshire area that does this kind of thing well?

[URL=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/bisonkills/media/OverviewDings_zps92a1717d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/bisonkills/OverviewDings_zps92a1717d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/bisonkills/media/Ding1_zps79ae2c9e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/bisonkills/Ding1_zps79ae2c9e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/bisonkills/media/Ding2_zps7ba71db2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/bisonkills/Ding2_zps7ba71db2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='bisonkills' timestamp='1396112701' post='2410078']
I'm slowly getting used to seeing the dings... but I may investigate the cost of repairing them and how well it could be done. Thanks for the suggestions!
[/quote]

I'm sure lots of people will think I'm a sad mofo for suggesting this, but considering where they are (you aren't really going too see them when you're playing), and how cheap it is, you could do lot worse than touching them up with some nail varnish ... I've done it in the past and it works fine. I must admit it was usually for small headstock dings, but it does work pretty well.

If you're not about to sell it, and you're just concerned about the cosmetics, why not? If you get really worried it won't make a refin cost any more.

• 6 years later...
On 30/03/2014 at 17:06, Back to Bassics said:

considering where they are (you aren't really going too see them when you're playing), and how cheap it is, you could do lot worse than touching them up with some nail varnish ... I've done it in the past and it works fine.

Sorry for the ancient thread resuscitation, but I thought it better to show I'd used the search function than start a new thread 😇

The bass I received today has a ding in the body, hard enough to break through the colour, just. As it's on the back side of the upper edge, it'll never be visible to me or my non-existent audience, so I'm not at all bothered about the looks.

But I'm wondering if over time dings grow? And if so, would nail varnish be the equivalent of a stitch in time saves nine? I'm very happy to be lazy and forget about it, but if I can do something useful, I suppose I should.

48 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

would nail varnish be the equivalent of a stitch in time saves nine

I’ve used nail polish very successfully before for a few chips I had in the paint,  it did a good job, I’ve also heard of superglue  being used , but I’ve never tried it myself 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Sorry for the ancient thread resuscitation, but I thought it better to show I'd used the search function than start a new thread 😇

The bass I received today has a ding in the body, hard enough to break through the colour, just. As it's on the back side of the upper edge, it'll never be visible to me or my non-existent audience, so I'm not at all bothered about the looks.

But I'm wondering if over time dings grow? And if so, would nail varnish be the equivalent of a stitch in time saves nine? I'm very happy to be lazy and forget about it, but if I can do something useful, I suppose I should.

A chip out of the finish won't normally grow by itself as such, but it'll never get better either. If catch the edges on clothing it's feasible you could flake off another little piece so there's absolutely no harm in touching it in to seal the edges again. 

Nail varnish is indeed great for this, easy to use, vast range of colours and not a double application of a coloured basecoat and a clear lacquer as a lot of paints would be. 

Superglue can certainly be used as a clear lacquer if the colour is intact, you can easily flat and polish superglue to get an 'invisible' repair as well. I wouldn't use an accelerant with the superglue though as it can cause tiny bubbles in the glue and turn it milky. 

Quite often nail varnish is a little soft to flat and polish, unless left for a really long time. Unless you're really picky there's no real need to flat and polish anyway, as long as you apply it nicely. 

Hope that helps. 

🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm wondering that all the paint from the dent will flake out. At the moment it's crazy paved, but intact. Would a layer or two of clear nail varnish stabilise things? I'll take a photo in the daylight tomorrow.

Yes clear nail varnish or superglue will seal it in and hold it all together. Any cracks will still be visable but they lose their white edges a bit, if that's how it looks now. 

Get a picture up but I'd guess you're over worrying about it. 

🙂👍

10 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes clear nail varnish or superglue will seal it in and hold it all together. Any cracks will still be visable but they lose their white edges a bit, if that's how it looks now. 

Get a picture up but I'd guess you're over worrying about it. 

🙂👍

My only worry is that my natural laziness might cause a tiny problem to worsen 😬

After taking the photos, I then had a quick play of the bass, to remind myself just how pleased I am to have it 😊 What a great sound it makes.

Right, nail varnish shopping for me. Any advice on brands? 😆

20210107_094039-01.jpeg

20210107_094026-01.jpeg

20210107_095005-01.jpeg

I'd be inclined to leave well alone with small dings like that. I've got a couple on my black J-bass that ideally I'd like to fix, but I doubt my ability to make it look significantly better without practice on something that doesn't matter if I fail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilebodgers said:

I'd be inclined to leave well alone with small dings like that.

My tendency towards indolence hears what you're saying *nods appreciatively*

Perhaps the sensible middle path should be: leave well alone, and if and only if it starts to worsen, then wield the nail varnish promptly.

• Like 1

Personally, if I was going to do anything with that I'd use nail varnish, well I wouldn't I'd use paint but I have access to a mixing scheme, but the point is a clear coat of any kind will seal it but not hide it, nail varnish will do both. 

It's completely your call as only you know your abilities. If you use nail varnish and it looks bad then it's easily removed with, guess what? Nail varnish remover. 🙂

I can't see it getting any worse if just left as it is though, it's your call. 

Just to add, nail varnish remover (weak acetone normally) is fine on a poly finish but I wouldn't go near nitro with it. I'm assuming that's a poly finish. 

Edited by Maude
  • Thanks 1