Why become a member? ×

Band breaking up, what now? play or practice?

Pinball

I started playing guitar and bass a couple of years back after a long break to record a couple of song ideas having played lead guitar in the past and really enjoyed playing bass. I decided bass was what I wanted to play but I was then persuaded to play guitar to accompany a friend. Since then I have been playing guitar in one band and bass in another.

The thing is that I play from ear and know what sounds good but often don't know why. I find playing as an amateur in two bands, that I never have the time to learn the theory or improve my technique. Now the band I play lead in is throttling back and may even fold.

Should I try and resurrect it or keep it going or use the time take a break and practise and improve my bass?

My bass playing has been gradually improving in terms of timing and technique but not in terms of theory. I'm honestly not sure what would be best.

Any advice to help clarify my thinking?

If playing with others is working for you, then I'd strive to continue doing that. I found that when I was in the early stages of the instrument, that playing in bands gave me motivation, inspiration, the vital context within which to really appreciate how the instrument works, and the input/playing/ideas of others can be good for making you think outside the box. My playing has always improved faster in band situations than otherwise.

If you think the band is worth resurrecting, then give it a go. If that's not possible, maybe try to retain as many of those familiar musicians as possible for a new band ... or join something completely different ... or start something yourself? However you do it, keep at it :)

If you want to improve as a bass musician I would say that working on theory and technique was advisable, whether you're currently playing bass in a band or not.

Edited by Fionn

Agreed with Fionn about learning the theory. Once you get started on that, a lot of things you've picked up in the past from playing by ear will start to make sense in a greater context.
You may find the musical world opening up for you as a result, with opportunities to play with all sorts of bands and musicians, in many different styles.

After all, the bass, guitar, piccolo, clarinet, piano etc are all mechanisms for expressing musical ideas.
Of course, it's a two way street, as the instrument you're playing will inspire ideas by the sound it makes and the method of playing it. i.e. a guitar will allow a chord to be expressed in one way by the layout of the instrument, whereas a piano will allow different chord structures due to it's layout.

In the aftermath of band breakups, I've found a few months off beneficial - no matter how amicable it is it takes time to brush it off and dust yourself down. I've not rushed back into the first thing that comes up just so I can play - if something's not right, be it the music or the people then I've passed on it. I took some lessons in the downtime and it really opened up my eyes (or at least gave names to things I already did but didn't know why).

Thanks for the advice, keep playing and enjoy and learn as I go seems to be the message I'm picking up

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1395741445' post='2405598']
In the aftermath of band breakups, I've found a few months off beneficial - no matter how amicable it is it takes time to brush it off and dust yourself down. I've not rushed back into the first thing that comes up just so I can play - if something's not right, be it the music or the people then I've passed on it. I took some lessons in the downtime and it really opened up my eyes (or at least gave names to things I already did but didn't know why).
[/quote]

That sounds appealing to me. I write songs for both bands that I'm in and I'm feeling tired and uninspired. I probably need to relax back into things. I guess it depends what type of person you are.

Thanks I'm glad I posted :)

I have always played by ear and have never had any problems but then again, I started learning when you had to keep lifting the needle off the record to listen to pieces again and again. I have always had a band to interact with, so again, no problems.
Thing is, I recently started thinking, I need something more, so I started getting guitar lessons. Ive always had a rudimentary ability on guitar, but wanted to learn proper like, so now I am finding a completely new interest in , not just guitar , but bass too, as I now have a decent clue about theory and what notes I am actually playing, due to scales and such, so, I would say if you want to really get into your instrument, by all means take lessons, but not just bass lessons. Guitar lessons from a decent teacher will bring you on on both instruments.
Good luck and I hope you are happy with whatever you choose to do :)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1395855095' post='2407253']
I have always played by ear and have never had any problems but then again, I started learning when you had to keep lifting the needle off the record to listen to pieces again and again. I have always had a band to interact with, so again, no problems.
Thing is, I recently started thinking, I need something more, so I started getting guitar lessons. Ive always had a rudimentary ability on guitar, but wanted to learn proper like, so now I am finding a completely new interest in , not just guitar , but bass too, as I now have a decent clue about theory and what notes I am actually playing, due to scales and such, so, I would say if you want to really get into your instrument, by all means take lessons, but not just bass lessons. Guitar lessons from a decent teacher will bring you on on both instruments.
Good luck and I hope you are happy with whatever you choose to do :)
[/quote]

Thanks, I think I'll do that. I need to play guitar as well as bass anyway. I wish I could develop my musical ear well enough to play the notes I want without thinking about it. Maybe thats the way to go