Why become a member? ×

One year of playing review. Thinking if giving up!

Twincam

Look at it this way.
You've said you're into fitness. Now if you said to me "lets go to the gym" or "lets go running" - well I would come and last about 5 min and then need to give up. I couldn't run for an hour, or lift big weights (or even know what most the machinery is for in the gym.
You would.
Now what would you say to me then? Because I bet next time I went with you I might last6 min, then 7 min and so on... it's training.

Likewise I can pick up a bass and play cleanly without fret buzz, you haven't learnt that control yet- but I don't think you were running marathons when you had just started either... practice and patience

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1395351570' post='2401578']
Well just to let you know I've given myself a shake and spent a few hours playing. I made a little tune that I actually really like. And I've discovered I can play some songs without looking at the fret board which I never knew I could do.

Also I've convinced a lass I'm dating to buy a guitar lol so that if she learns a little bit we can play together. Now I need to convince someone to buy some drums and there I will of formed my own band lol.

So I'm going to try and carry on. And try accept certain things. Thank you all for the time to comment. I shall try not to be such a baby in future.
[/quote]
It's great to hear you're moving on and finding a new interest in the bass.

As an ageing old git I don't envy the young of today. You have so much analysis in your lives. Everything has to be examined, tested and labelled. You say you have OCD. We used to call that "being a bit of a perfectionist". ADHD was simply being an "active child" or being "a show-off". Now you have a sexy way to describe it and a pot of pills to make money for some drug company.

When I was young I was convinced I was going to be famous. As I got older I learned to accept mediocrity.
I drive a car, but wont ever be an F1 driver.
I like to write stuff, but probably wont ever be widely published, let alone write a best seller.
I can't sing
I can't kick a ball or play golf or cricket
We started to have a family, but my sperm-count is naff.
I will never be a great bass player. I'm not as good as Gary Mac and can only dream of being as good as Discreet.

This is, I'm afraid, reality. Embrace it. Without the likes of you and me there would be nobody to buy the best-sellers or make the lucky folk successful.

Enjoy your progress in all things you do. It may never be world-class, but it IS progress and its you making you better than you were before and expanding your ability. Better that than playing a video game, after finishing that what do you have? (And I used to own a games shop)

Edited by Grangur

As a newcomer to this site, though I have been playing for many years, my suggestion would be if you can't face taking time to pick up the bass, then maybe you have to admit its not for you.
The bass is an unforgiving instrument if you have no one to jam with. Unless you are very good, it can sound a bit boring on its own. Sometimes you need a guitar or drums to bring it out from its boring shell. Believe me mate, if you stick at it, it can become the most satisfying hobby you have ever taken up. Its the same as with anything else, practise , practise and then practise some more.
As some people have said before, why not try an open night or something of that ilk, to see what joy can be brought through jamming. The satisfaction of making even simple music with another like minded person is hugely satisfying if you stick at it.
Good luck and I hope you keep at it

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1395731504' post='2405498']
Look at it this way.
You've said you're into fitness. Now if you said to me "lets go to the gym" or "lets go running" - well I would come and last about 5 min and then need to give up. I couldn't run for an hour, or lift big weights (or even know what most the machinery is for in the gym.
You would.
Now what would you say to me then? Because I bet next time I went with you I might last6 min, then 7 min and so on... it's training.

Likewise I can pick up a bass and play cleanly without fret buzz, you haven't learnt that control yet- but I don't think you were running marathons when you had just started either... practice and patience
[/quote]

THIS IN HEAPS!

TC without sounding to blunt or personal but at same time not beating about the bush, by your very own admission you say this is about your OCD and having to have everything perfect or you sack it

is this with all hobbies or just playing bass?

try adjusting your outlook to what you can personally do on a bass and how your style can be unique and develop on what you enjoy and achieve from playing bass because if you try and copy/imitate others chops and technique there will always be someone somewhere who will play you off the stage (usually some japanese teenage girl youtube starlet)

copying is always a good starting point for most people - use your OCD in a constructive way and take your dissatisfaction with that technique youve just learned and dissect it and modify it to how you want it and what you think it should sound/play like

standards? who sets them and defines them? none of us can achieve perfection but we can all hopefully realise what is an expectable and achievable standard for each of us - maybe a coaching session with a good tutor to give you a brutally honest appraisal of what you could achieve and give you some sort of direction to set you off on that course to achieve it?

but most of all stop letting your own ego beat you up into giving up something that you enjoy doing or you wouldnt have taken it up in the first place?

once again apologies for the bluntness

Hiho,You need a band,not only are you doing it for yourself ,your doing it for your bandmates,your part of the team making the music coming out the front for people to enjoy.
The buzz of playing live makes all the hours practicing worthwhile.
That .s it for me seeing happy faces digging what your doing.
Don,t jump into any old band ,get the right people around you and it,s magic.Luckily I,ve been in good bands,meaning good people as well as fabulous musicians,I have been in a couple of bands where I felt like giving up but I got out with sanity intact in time just.