Why become a member? ×

Which video cameras pick up bass well?

Diablo

I've been using a FlipHD camera for recording gigs and rehearsals, and they are quite pants. A couple of people mentioned at last weeks gig that the bass was too loud, but on the camera you can barely hear it at all. So are there any decent HD video cameras out there with built in or external mics that will pick bass frequencies up well?

Cheers,
Rich

I don't think so, just an HDMI port on the underside. My FlipHD is about 3 years old so maybe the newer ones have mic input but not mine. I've also kind of killed mine by running it as an onboard camera round the Isle of Man - vibration has damaged the image receiver thingy so it looks all grainy.

Cheers,
Rich

Another option is to simultaneously record audio on a Zoom H1 or similar and add it to the video in post production. Then the audio doesn't fluctuate according to camera distance from the band and so on, because you can have the H1 static while the camera can be highly mobile.

Edited by discreet

I have the Zoom Q3HD and yes the sound is actually amazing! It picks up the band at any volume in glorious stereo. The HD model's video is better but I think even the newer models are an upgrade too. Highly recommended. There was a Q3HD for sale on here the other day.

Think I'll hang on to mine!

Zoom are good for sound, we've found but we have lucked out on a few HD cams are well.
If the band has a pretty good mix, you just need bass pickup which isn't impossible by any means
on basic recordings but if your mix is average, then you are fighting a losing battle.

cheers chaps, looks like a ZoomHD might be on the shopping list. I've just posted up a link in the gig section from a FlipHD recording I did last week:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231806-the-john-waters-experience-diablo/

At the gig it was commented by one person (luddite) that the bass was too loud, but even listening to that vid with headphones and the bass EQ'ed up I can hardly hear it, hence my quest for a better camera/sound combo. I don't really have the time or will to start recording separate tracks and EQ then mixing them, it more for the YT kind of thing. I also accept the visual receiver thingy on the FLip is knackered hence a supposedly HD recording is so poor in quality.

Cheers,
Rich

Bass was too loud?

It depends what that really means.
Even when I've seen videos of us from phone cameras the bass is always audible through the mix. But then again I am using an extremely mid aggressive sound with not much real big lows.

It may have been a case of the lows were a bit excessive, not the whole sound of the bass.

But obviously all the suggestions above for better cameras are valid.