Why become a member? ×

The piano playing is overtaking the Bass playing.?

bubinga5

I will always be a bass player. But the more i have lesson/ play the Piano/Reading, the more i think there is more music at my finger's. I've got to grade 3 now, and its a real musical journey. maybe its because i never had the chance geographically to get good bass lessons. it is helping my bass playing no end.

anyone else playing the piano.? like i said the bass for me is forever.

Edited by bubinga5

I play the piano, but then I have always played the piano at least within the bounds of what I can remember. Really if I had played more I would be pretty good by now (actually I was pretty good at 16, that was a long time ago).

However, it is a different thing, like most instruments are, same as a guitar is. I always found it was a lot more natural and possibly easier to apply music theory to the piano, maybe because of the way that it is all laid out and obvious, or just because I am more used to it.

Why wouldn't you prefer the piano? It is all there. I can't play it but wish I could (clearly not enought oactually TRY!!)! I have one but never got passed a few basic exercises and some chords. In short, I am a s***load better as a bass player than I am at anything esle so that is where my efforts went.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393410544' post='2379811']
Why wouldn't you prefer the piano? It is all there. I can't play it but wish I could (clearly not enought oactually TRY!!)! I have one but never got passed a few basic exercises and some chords. In short, I am a s***load better as a bass player than I am at anything esle so that is where my efforts went.
[/quote]

Which remind me of:

Man 1: Can you play the violin?

Man 2: Don't know, I've never tried.

The way things are going with me musically, I'm tempted to go back to piano/keys. Get a good keyboard & you can get some excellent bass sounds too!

I'm a great believer in learning as many types of instrument as possible, that way you can understand what your part needs to do in the song.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1393431250' post='2380236']
The way things are going with me musically, I'm tempted to go back to piano/keys. Get a good keyboard & you can get some excellent bass sounds too!

I'm a great believer in learning as many types of instrument as possible, that way you can understand what your part needs to do in the song.
[/quote]i know what your saying, but i love actually playing the bass physically. no software can match that.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1393432099' post='2380256']
Interestingly I started off playing jazz piano before switching over to bass... I half wonder if I'll go back one day?
[/quote]

Me too! Well, I had piano lessons for a few years with a guy who introduced me to jazz...saying I could actually play jazz piano might be overselling myself! I do still play, though I haven't practised regularly for a long time, and I'm limited to a keyboard in my pokey London flat.

It probably gave me a bit of a head-start when I first took up the bass. I'd already been taught a few scales and some basic theory, so once I got hold of a bass guitar scales book it made it much easier to find my way around the neck. That, and a collection of Doors songs transcribed for piano. Couldn't play most of them for the life of me, but it was a good source of inspiration - ol' Ray (RIP) did play some really nice bass parts with his left hand!

i see this. why did i piggin start.? Bill Sharpe is just amazing imo. one of my musical heroes. anyone who might not have heard of him, he was the pianist for a band called Shakatak, . you might recognise a song called Night Birds . imo this is epic in anyones book. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gihCpd2RqHI[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393563539' post='2381917']
i see this. why did i piggin start.? Bill Sharpe is just amazing imo. one of my musical heroes. anyone who might not have heard of him, he was the pianist for a band called Shakatak, . you might recognise a song called Night Birds . imo this is epic in anyones book.
[/quote]

Agreed - beautiful stuff!