Why become a member? ×

Using the Status Update to ask for advice on gear.

BassTractor

Just had a thought:
When people ask for advice in their status update, then the given advice isn't searchable, is it?

If so, wouldn't it be better to make sure this stuff is searchable by using regular threads for this?

I know some people will just ask without searching, but others would probably search for threads they "know" to exist first, only to not find what they remembered.
In case, I think that it's a drawback. One of the great BC features seems to me to be the searchable info.

Opinions?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393354276' post='2379251']
Just had a thought:
When people ask for advice in their status update, then the given advice isn't searchable, is it?...[/quote]

I'm probably missing a trick here; why would anyone want to ask advice where it won't be seen easily..? Searchable or not; who would know what to search for..? Slightly puzzled. Is there a particular example you can give, or am I blind to something obvious..? :huh:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1393355601' post='2379284']
I'm probably missing a trick here; why would anyone want to ask advice where it won't be seen easily..? Searchable or not; who would know what to search for..? Slightly puzzled. Is there a particular example you can give, or am I blind to something obvious..? :huh:
[/quote]

My guess is people ask for advice in their status update because the newest status updates are on the right hand side of the BC front page. I guess people see it as an often seen part of BC, and as an effective way of getting their question read by others. Dunno though.

At any rate, if you have a look there, you can see several recent "threads" where people have asked about stuff to buy, and they have received answers too.

Now this is not a problem for me, but I was thinking maybe BC is "better" if questions and given advice stay searchable by being placed in regular threads.
Does that answer your question?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1393356592' post='2379310']...Does that answer your question?[/quote]

Indeed it does, and I thank you. I never see the forum front page (I link directly to my subjects of interest...) and was unaware of this. I'll have a look, and maybe go into 'deep reflection' mode. Good call.

Call me odd fashioned if you like but I don't see the point of status updates anyway. What is this, Facebook?

Besides which some of the usual mechanisms for the orderly running of the forum, such as the ability to report a status update for offensive content, are lacking. I give it until the first attempt to advertise something for sale without paying the listing fee before it is turned off, but I would be glad to see it turned off now.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1393447286' post='2380514']
Besides which some of the usual mechanisms for the orderly running of the forum, such as the ability to report a status update for offensive content, are lacking. I give it until the first attempt to advertise something for sale without paying the listing fee before it is turned off, but I would be glad to see it turned off now.
[/quote]

We monitor them.
Some people have tried using that stunt ever since we adopted listing fees - total waste of time and effort, they get deleted within minutes and warnings issued.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1393452107' post='2380602']
What is this thing 'status updates'?
[/quote]

I think it's the "What's on your mind" field that is in the pull down menu when you click your login name on the top right of a BC page.
Apparently, it's also in people's profile.

Edit: yup, it is. I've done the science just now. :)

Edited by BassTractor