Why become a member? ×

Fuzzrocious BDPG or a Catalinbread SFT OR a Wren&Cuff Phat Phuk B

topheteatwo

I'm back to square one.

I was ignorant and got a Rusty Box which was okay, but not for me, then I got an Xotic BB Bass Preamp, which was good by itself, but I'm more of an always on OD kinda guy and it did not like my Rat King AT ALL.

I just want something to REALLY bring my rig alive, I love the bass sound of the new O'Brother stuff (Rat Tail into a Peavey Mace with HUGE lows, also a Sansamp) and the sound of Young Widows and of course Russian Circles, all Rat Tail/King users.

But I just can't get that sound, I know my amp isn't exactly the most amazing amp but it's portable and works well (and amps are stupidly expensive and I can't drive) with pedals so I'm happy enough with it, but I know it doesn't have the dirt that say the Verellen Meat Smoke, Peavey Mace or Ampeg 200T (I think?) has so I just want a pedal to just put that touch of dirt and a hint of that ever wanted super low end/lower mids growl.

I've narrowed it down to these 3, the BDPG is cool, it's super versatile and Sibob did a fantastic demo of the Rat Tail through the BDPG and it sounded amazing, so at the moment, that's the best contender at the moment but, alas, my ignorance came in again and I was talked into getting the Rusty Box by my Albini loving guitarist. The Catalinbread looks awesome and does that low end growl well, just hope it can help the Rat along (no mids control though?) and then the Phat Phuk B because maybe I just a small boost, plus someone on here will sell me one for cheap which is cool, it may just a be a bit too trebly for me (I am a tad picky).

Sorry for the large post, I just want an answer from the fellow growl experts that I know of on here and get a final answer.

Which one?

The SFT definitely has a smoother more natural break-up than the others you listed. I have two of em that sound totally different though, the original one with the big white knobs rolls off a lot more treble but sounds a lot fatter in the low mids. The newer one has deeper lows, more treble and upper-mids growl. It also sounds different run at 18v so be sure to try that out if you get one too.

For only £23.89 though, it'd be rude not to try out the [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ultimate_drive.htm"]Harley Benton Ultimate Drive[/url] first. Listen to the clip [url="https://soundcloud.com/johnk_10/joyo-ultradrive"]here[/url] to see how good it sounds on bass, it's a clone of the Fulltone OCD.

Have you tried the VT Bass? If not, you should.

I've got one of the newer graphic SFTs, run off the Diago 18v adaptor. I do bloody love it for raging Ampeg/Timmy C tones, and it's so nicely touch-sensitive that I do leave it on 80% of the time.

HOWEVER, I find it does not stack well with any of my dirt pedals apart from the Rat, bizarrely...Of course you'll be alright with this though! ;-)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1393171476' post='2376942']
I've got one of the newer graphic SFTs, run off the Diago 18v adaptor. I do bloody love it for raging Ampeg/Timmy C tones, and it's so nicely touch-sensitive that I do leave it on 80% of the time.

HOWEVER, I find it does not stack well with any of my dirt pedals apart from the Rat, bizarrely...Of course you'll be alright with this though! ;-)
[/quote]

Are you running it before or after other dirt when stacking?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1393054928' post='2375612']
For only £23.89 though, it'd be rude not to try out the [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ultimate_drive.htm"]Harley Benton Ultimate Drive[/url] first. Listen to the clip [url="https://soundcloud.com/johnk_10/joyo-ultradrive"]here[/url] to see how good it sounds on bass, it's a clone of the Fulltone OCD.
[/quote]

On minimum gain that sounds awesome!

What didn't you like about the Rusty Box? I was thinking of selling my B3K and buying one instead?

I think Im in a similar position to you tone wise just now. I dont think I'll be happy with any overdrive until I have a 200W tube amp doing most of the work. I've heard nothing but good things about the Catalinbread SFT though.

It just sounds like a bandwidth is bring put on your signal, makes it all a but thin, but then i remembered that all those Albini bands had super thin sounding guitars too. I know dude, the feeling isn't nice but from what I've read about the BDPG it seems to be the answer.

On an unrelated note, just saw you are (were?) in Crusades, John Niblock showed me your stuff when i was playing in Glasgow, one of the best EPs i heard last year man, truly amazing, just thought I'd spread the love!

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1393272027' post='2378148']
What didn't you like about the Rusty Box? I was thinking of selling my B3K and buying one instead?

I think Im in a similar position to you tone wise just now. I dont think I'll be happy with any overdrive until I have a 200W tube amp doing most of the work. I've heard nothing but good things about the Catalinbread SFT though.
[/quote]

Thats disappointing. The two times Ive heard it being used in person Ive liked it but I could see it going the way of my B3K with it being a little too harsh and grindy. Im not convinced by the BDPG after the clips Ive heard but it could be amazing. Hard to tell until you hear it for yourself with your own gear. Im interested to see how you get on with the BDPG if you go ahead and buy it though.

Haha, thanks man. Decent of Big John to spread the word. We split up at the end of last year just as we were about to play Reading and Leeds and record an album with Kurt Ballou. Grim. We are in the process of starting a new band with 3/4's of Crusades though. Your band sound great man, you've made a new fan. Seems like the Rusty Box should have fitted in perfectly with the style as well.

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1393272027' post='2378148']
I dont think I'll be happy with any overdrive until I have a 200W tube amp doing most of the work.
[/quote]

i know it's not what people want to hear but I genuinely believe that a tube amp is the most important bit for killer drive tones....

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1393277630' post='2378260']
Thats disappointing. The two times Ive heard it being used in person Ive liked it but I could see it going the way of my B3K with it being a little too harsh and grindy. Im not convinced by the BDPG after the clips Ive heard but it could be amazing. Hard to tell until you hear it for yourself with your own gear. Im interested to see how you get on with the BDPG if you go ahead and buy it though.

Haha, thanks man. Decent of Big John to spread the word. We split up at the end of last year just as we were about to play Reading and Leeds and record an album with Kurt Ballou. Grim. We are in the process of starting a new band with 3/4's of Crusades though. Your band sound great man, you've made a new fan. Seems like the Rusty Box should have fitted in perfectly with the style as well.
[/quote]

I've heard it just completely changes things, so I'm in talks with Joes about a swap of my Xotic for a BDPG, I'm super super excited for it.

I heard about all that caper with Reading and Leeds, sucks dude, I hope the new band will get as much success. Thanks dude, means a lot! The Rusty Box was a good bit of kit and I can definitely see why it's so popular, only problem is my guitarist occupies so much sonic space with his Marshall Shredmaster and Fuzzrocious Demon so it was really hard to cut through, the 26 inch kick drum doesn't help either. I just found it really shrank the sound of the bass and I really didn't like that.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1393277868' post='2378264']
i know it's not what people want to hear but I genuinely believe that a tube amp is the most important bit for killer drive tones....
[/quote]

Tell me about it....first thing I do when I win the lottery, Meatsmoke

Looks like you have a BDPG lined up now, but if you're after any of the other two pedals you were considering, it just so happens I've put mine up for sale...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/230692-wren-cuff-phat-phuk-b"]Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/230694-catalinbread-sft-new-version"]Catalinbread SFT (new version)[/url]

I'd trade for a Rusty Box too if you still have it and want to move it on.

• 2 weeks later...