Why become a member? ×

Bass effect for the song Message in a bottle?

badboy1984

My band recently starting to cover this song as part of our set, I can play the bass line spot on without a problem but the drummer says my tone is not exactly the same as Sting's tone.

To start off I use a P/J bass so that shouldn't be a problem, I think the bass have chorus effect but not 100% sure.

I do have a EBS uni chorus pedal so if is chorus effect i can work something out to get the tone for the song.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1392715386' post='2371814']
My band recently starting to cover this song as part of our set, I can play the bass line spot on without a problem but the drummer says my tone is not exactly the same as Sting's tone.

To start off I use a P/J bass so that shouldn't be a problem, I think the bass have chorus effect but not 100% sure.

I do have a EBS uni chorus pedal so if is chorus effect i can work something out to get the tone for the song.
[/quote]

Fretless..?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2CuyIG7x8[/media]

The strong chorus comes from the guitar, and gives the impression that [i]all [/i]is chorused. Don't listen to your drummer; what would he/she know about tone..? :P Of course it's not "exactly the same". He/she sounds exactly like Copeland, perhaps..? :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1392720353' post='2371882']
The only thing different is I don't play with the pick so the attack would be different. I play with fingerstyle so it gives a softer warm tone. Maybe I should try using a pick for this song.
[/quote]

Try the pick and chorus pedal, and also try muting the string with the palm of your picking hand as well. It gives a nice thump to the sound. Here's a lesson on how you do that.

http://youtu.be/fi051x69UxE

It never really bother as long as it sound right and the bass line is correct. Sting will always sound like sting and I will always sound like me, but at least i give it a shot to see how it goes. If things doesn't work out like I'm suck on using a pick then the band just have to except me playing with fingers ..... lol