Why become a member? ×

The Aristocrats on tour in the UK

wombatboter

Went to see the show of The Aristocrats here in Belgium and I was blown away....I noticed that they are on tour now in the UK so I would advice to check them out.
Bryan Beller on bass, Guthrie Govan on guitar and Marco Minneman on drums.
Beller was just amazing and I couldn't touch my bass the next day because I was so impressed.. Haven't seen anything like this since Jeff Beck with Tal Wilkenfeld.
Best instrumental stuff I have seen in ages.. really tight playing, unpretentious ànd funny.

February 17th – London, England, UK – The Garage
February 18th – Bristol, England, UK – The Fleece
February 19th – Leamington, England, UK – The Assembly
February 20th – Manchester, England, UK – Band on the Wall
February 21st – Newcastle, England, UK – The Cluny
February 23rd – Edinburgh, Scotland, UK – Liquid Room
February 24th – Dublin, IE – The Grand Social

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLGKL34AJw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLGKL34AJw[/url]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1392656410' post='2371155']
Marco Minneman and Guthrie Govan play together in the Steven Wilson band, I saw them last year and was extremely impressed with the show, and would love to see this gig.
[/quote]

I saw that show too - and the one where MM was replaced by Chad Wackerman! MM unavailable due to touring commitments with Joe Satriani - the bassist on that tour was Bryan Beller... tbh they looked a little bit bored in places on the Satch gig!

I knew they were good but hadn't expected them to be that good....the pure energy, the compositions and the joy they showed.
Beller was just phenomenal...great sound on his Lull-basses, nice chordal work and use of effects. One of the best players I have ever seen (didn't expect him to be in my list of favourites with Wooten, Karn, etc.)

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1392661159' post='2371267']
I knew they were good but hadn't expected them to be that good....the pure energy, the compositions and the joy they showed.
Beller was just phenomenal...great sound on his Lull-basses, nice chordal work and use of effects. One of the best players I have ever seen (didn't expect him to be in my list of favourites with Wooten, Karn, etc.)
[/quote]

He's great, There were some fantastic effects coming from his side, I couldn't see his board though as I was on GG's side and too far back. Awesome show though, it's great to have some fantastic players who don't take themselves too seriously and inject some wit into the music.

Btw remember the "who's been to Louisville Kentucky" moment? That was me :)

I saw Guthrie when he played with Phil X & The Drills in Guildford last year. We saw him walking around and had no idea who he was at the time, but he was awesome. This probably isn't the best video that's out there, but audibly it's the best one.
P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKmMcZmG9zU[/media]

Edited by NancyJohnson

I have a diverse taste in music and that includes rock music but musically this wasn't up my street. I think if the musicians in the band had more of a Jazz rock-fusion element in their playing it would have provided more scope for Guthrie to play across some interesting changes that clearly he is able to do.
So I'm not saying the musicians were rubbish or anything like that. I just didn't find that gig appealing to me. A couple of guys I went with are heavily into rock and they left before the end saying it was too technical.

If it was more like this video below it would have been much more up my street so I will be looking out for this kind of tour next time and preferably with a keyboard player too.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE5yMTCbsC0[/media]

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee