Why become a member? ×

Wishbass 4 string fretless £150
£150

Sambrook

This is one of those basses that just creeps up on you over time. I got it from a fellow basschatter, just to try them out. I'd followed the topics here on Wishbasses, and was intrigued. I've done the following things to it:

Stripped the nasty varnish it came with, and applied 5/6 coats of Danish Oil. This has given it a really nice lustre
Sanded flat the fingerboard, Danish Oiled it, and applied a coating of Rustin's plastic resin. This has given it a silky smooth finish without any of the nasty squeakiness of a varnish finish.
Changed the vol knob to a tone knob, and changed the actual knob for a nice gold and abalone one.
Lowered the action considerably by sanding the bridge.

The end result is a lightweight, extrememely resonant bass, with a nice low action, and harmonics to die for. I had it strung with Elite Groundwounds, which sounded fantastic. It has a new set of Rotosound roundwounds on now.

In a certain light, with your eyes half closed, and your glasses off, this could almost be a poor man's Hyperbass. No? Well, ok then. It was woth a try.

The only bad points are that I was too impatient with the sanding, oiling, and Rustin-ing. The bass shows some sandpaper marks here and there, and the finish has gone slightly 'waxy' in a couple of spots, and there is a patch by the first 'fret' where I ran out of Rustin's. That said, it looks, feels, and sounds great.

I've got a brand new Hiscox flight case it can go with, if the buyer wants. It would be £200 with the case, £150 without.

I'm happy to answer any questions, and thanks for looking.

The woods, by the way, are beautiful. Purpleheart for definite, and I think walnut and spalted maple.

Go for it Kev. I was very surprised how playable mine is. Even the chunky neck is actually quite comfortable although mine is the 'lobe' shape.

It looks like the finish or lack of, that wishbass are known for has been nicely dealt with too on this one. And it's cheaper than getting one from wishbass directly. Bargain!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1392392822' post='2368163']
I can't quite decide if that is exceptionally ugly or incredibly beautiful! :)
[/quote]
Trust me, it's a thing of natural beauty. Each Wishbass is an individual. If you see one you love, then buy it. It's not like other makes, where another Candy Red one will be along in a minute.