Why become a member? ×

Anybody play the Fender Aerodyne?

JustAverageMax

I'm looking into the Fender Aerodyne and they look like they'd be lovely to play, I have only ever heard one and it sounded really nice in my opinion. Just wondered if anyone on here has one or played on in the past :)

I currently play a Fender 51' reissue p-bass but I personally have played many other basses that I preferred.

Edited by JustAverageMax

I'm playing mine a lot at the moment. They're light and, with the rolled edges to the fingerboard, the neck is very smooth and comfortable. With the dark fingerboard and no front fret markers, the matching black all over looks great.

Sounds and tone are very personal. Some people reckon the Precision pickups don't make it sound exactly like a Precision while the Jazz one at the bridge doesn't make it sound exactly like a Jazz, but I've no complaints.

I've got a non-export one and love it. Probably the nicest bass to play, that I've ever owned.

I swapped out the standard P pup for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, just to give it a bit more umph. It's a Jazz with attitude, and for me, the grunt of a P without the thick neck.

I change basses all the time, just to try out new stuff, but my Aerodyne is definitely one of my 'keepers'

Had a lovely looking US Jazz for a few months, but found it very bland sounding.

Edited by davehux

I had one for a short space of time. It felt uncomfortably light to me and the pups really didn't have the clout I expected, especially the P.
Mr Hux probably did the right thing, as basswood certainly seems to have different properties to alder and perhaps just needs those slightly more powerful pups.
Be interesting to know if anybody has done the East thing with one!

I had one for a while, but just looked a bit too "modern" for me. Plus no fret-markers in a fairly energetic punk band, wrong-notes-waiting-to-happen that was - for me anyway. That said, they are great players, very comfortable due to the weight, and the pickups are easily swapped. I was happy with the P pickup, but the J buzzed, like many do. Swapped it for an SD Hot Stack, angry wasps gone, replaced by instant Duff McKagan. I`d recommend them, definitely worth a look.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1392052107' post='2364092']... no fret-markers in a fairly energetic punk band, wrong-notes-waiting-to-happen that was - for me anyway.[/quote]

I'm always intrigued by this. I mainly play Warwicks (with only the side fret dots, like the Aerodyne) and never noticed the lack. When I'm playing, I'd have to crane my neck quite a bit to be able to see the front of the fingerboard.

I definitely need the dots to know where I am (above the fifth fret anyway), but the side dots are the only ones I can see anyway.

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party but I have two: the standard black export model with no pickguard and a brand new non-export in candy apple red with the black pickguard.

Both fantastic to play, but surprising how much difference there is between the two. The non-export is noticeably lighter (and the black one is already obscenely light), has fret markers on the frets (rather than just the neck) and doesn't have the polished finish of the export on the back of the neck which I find makes it a little faster.

That said, the stock pickups (particularly the j-bass bridge pickup) aren't the greatest so I've swapped the pups on the black one out for some Aguilar hum-cancelling ones and it now sounds incredible. That said if you spend some time playing with the stock pickups you can dial in some fantastic tone, but the hum on the bridge pickup can be really irritating. par for the course with J-basses though really

Edited by Rob_RDG