Why become a member? ×

Am I a bad person?

bassist_lewis

If you are ina covers band, and want to nail the sounds, you have no option but to run multiple
Basses, and in this instance, you may have to go through several basses with te same configuration before you find the make and setup that suits you. Don't feel bad, just enjoy it, and be greatlfull that you are in the position to be able to swap and change. There would be members here that could only dream of affording the bass you are unhappy with!!!
If you are in an originals band, the situation is a bit different, you can get by with one or two basses and have your own signature tone, eg jaco with a jazz, flea with a stingray (before he went all posh) etc.

Relax, this music malarkey is meant to be fun, forget what anyone else thinks. Just my two cents!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1391941797' post='2362750']
...or how about a Lakland 55-02 or 55-94? I've also got a DJ5 and the neck seems to sit 'out' more than the other two, although they're all 35" scale. As far as being a bass tart, you've got a long way to go! I have a file on my computer where I list all the basses I've owned over the years. I've been playing a very long time, but it's currently up to 89....
[/quote]

how many amps? ;)

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1391977036' post='2363233']

I've never counted, but nothing like that figure! At the moment I have one amp, and one 410. Amps are never the problem, in my experience... :D
[/quote]

Correct! Amps just make you louder so that you can hear the difference between all the basses...

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1391983710' post='2363359']
Can I ask the OP what attracts him towards the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callowhill 5 string [/font][/color] ?
[/quote]

It's primarily because there will be less of a stretch down to the lower frets and across the neck. I've played a few short scales and I find them much more comfortable. They're also a more convenient size and lighter.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1392018311' post='2363519']
It's primarily because there will be less of a stretch down to the lower frets and across the neck. I've played a few short scales and I find them much more comfortable. They're also a more convenient size and lighter.
[/quote]

These are excellent reasons to go with a custom build and I share your requirements with regard to a small body and a light instrument (hence going down the Sadowsky route). For me neck dimensions are crucial--Width, thickness and radius need to be bang on. Some years ago I purchased a high end bass sight unseen for a lot of money and just could not get on with the neck :( and had to sell it on at a loss--lesson learned.
Best of luck with whatever you go for.
When you get that bass in your hands, watch out for the possibility for a serious dose of amp gas!. Be aware if it gets a grip, it can be next to impossible to shake off :).

Edited by leroydiamond