Why become a member? ×

Best Ibanez Starter Bass

Absolute Beginner

SR300 gets my vote.

The one on the rack is 38mm wide at the nut. It's thinnest behind the first fret; at that point it's about 20mm thick (not counting the fret). I don't know the Epi (I'm guessing not many people do), but that ought to give you something to compare with :)

Edited by alyctes

I've been keeping an eye on SR300s here and on eBay recently, and IMO a good second-hand SR300 seems to go for £130-170 here.
I think you should look at this though - definitely a good price: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227560-ibanez-sr600-natural-ash/page__pid__2355403#entry2355403."]http://basschat.co.u...3#entry2355403.[/url]

(And yes, I'm only promoting it to stop myself buying it... :P )

Edited by alyctes

The post 2012 SR 300`s are really good. I had a black one, nice and light and a good range of tones could be had with the 3 band eq. All the SR models have slim necks.

Another great bass with a slim neck is the new Yam TRBX 304. Two band eq and 5 position switch gives you plenty of options and Yamaha build quality is superb. So good, I bought one.

I really like the SR300 but as it's been mentioned quite a lot im going to throw the ATK 200 into the mix. Same quality but with a totally different pickup/tone!

The new 2014 ATK200TP is coming in at £289! Bargain!!

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page14.php?year=2014&cat_id=2&series_id=56&data_id=105&color=CL01

Edited by skej21

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1391906593' post='2362632']
What are the ATK necks like? I'm only curious, no GAS at all... :ph34r:
[/quote]

More like a P neck and compared to a SR, big! In fact the whole bass is rather big and on the heaviish side which is why I got shot of mine. Decent sounding bass though for the price.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1391950700' post='2362874']
More like a P neck and compared to a SR, big! In fact the whole bass is rather big and on the heaviish side which is why I got shot of mine. Decent sounding bass though for the price.
[/quote]

Hmm... Are the SR necks and ATK necks interchangeable, by any chance?

<shameless threadjack/>

No. SR necks are 24 fret long with a slanted pocket. ATK necks are 22 frets long into a standard shape neck pocket.

I tried an ATK in a shop a couple of weeks ago. Although my favourite 2 basses have slim necks - one is an older SR400 - I found the ATK still very comfortable to play. In fact I liked it very much :gas: but it's [u]very[/u] heavy.

Hi.

Following from the below, I'm now looking at an Epiphone Thunderbird.

Does that have a relatively slim neck, compared to the Ibanez SR range.....?

Basically, I'm after a bass with a fairly punchy sound, which costs less than £300 and would suit someone at a very basic level.

I bought an Epiphone Viola a few months ago, but in hindsight, that was probably a mistake.

Many thanks.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1392555015' post='2369939']
Hi.

Basically, I'm after a bass with a fairly punchy sound, which costs less than £300 and would suit someone at a very basic level.

I bought an Epiphone Viola a few months ago, but in hindsight, that was probably a mistake.

Many thanks.
[/quote]

You could call it a mistake, but you could also call it a necessary step in the learning process. We've all make them. And we make as many mistakes in selling the wrong things as much as buying the wrong things.

[/quote]

No.

[/quote]

What don't you like about it?

Hi.

I don't like the neck dive - the weight of the neck v a lighter body I'd imagine ?

The fact that it leans forward quite a bit when I stand up and play - is this due to the strap button being located on the rear of the neck ?

Also, the fact that it doesn't sound gutsy enough.

I had a go on my friend's Tanglewood Precision style bass recently, and it seems to have a bit more "poke" than my Viola.....

Cheers.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1392557557' post='2369970']
I don't like the neck dive - the weight of the neck v a lighter body I'd imagine ?
[/quote]

I would strike the thunderbird out then, they are renowned for neck dive

The fact that it leans forward quite a bit when I stand up and play - is this due to the strap button being located on the rear of the neck ?
[/quote]

Could well be.

I had a go on my friend's Tanglewood Precision style bass recently, and it seems to have a bit more "poke" than my Viola.....
[/quote]

so how did you get on with that? Have you given a Jazz bass a try?
I personally can't get on with precisions that well, but Jazz basses are fine (or at least most of them, i have played some not so great ones). There was a cheap peavey I played yesterday that had a great neck on it and sounded good. I would have been tempted if it wasn't from the frowning look of my OH :D

The Precision was ok, although the neck felt quite wide - I have very small hands.

I haven't tried a Jazz yet. I hear the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass is very good, although fairly heavy (I don't have the strongest of backs!).

The bass guitar range that always seem to keep coming up on this website whereby the guitars have slim necks and are relatively light is that of Ibanez SR.

Any other basses you could recommend that are similar to the above and that have a lot of grunt?

Thanks.

Well, I have a ibanez sr1000, SR505, rick copy and jazz vm fretless. the SR1000 has the smallest neck, the sr505 is a 5 string, so the neck is pretty big. The jazz neck is wider, although I wouldn't say that it is noticably heavier or lighter than the SR1000, I have never really measured the difference.

Someone says there is a SR500 in the market place. If it was me I would go for that. <looks> Oh it matches mine, yes, I would buy that in a heartbeat if I was looking for a new 4 string bass. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/229894-ibanez-sr500-for-sale-l300/
The only thing I don't like about my SR505 is that the bottom is quite thin and digs in when you are sitting down, but note that the 5 string is probably quite a bit heavier than the 4.