Why become a member? ×

Painted Headstocks

stingrayfan

i don't like painted headstocks on some basses, musicman stingrays and fenders in particular, just doesn't suit them. Adversely it does suit other basses like ESPs and the like. It's all subjective. Nothing's stopping people getting a luthier to spray the headstock and getting the decals put over the top, so i guess a lot of people like it unpainted.

Edited by budget bassist

I'd go one step further an say that I don't much like necks that don't match the colour of the body.

I would guess it's a matter of ease of mass-production and cheapness, started by Fender. At the time the other serious bass made by Gibson and Rickenbacker had set or through necks and were sprayed up to match the body. With the Fenders the necks could be made entirely independently of the bodies and just bolted on at the end. Since they were all 'natural' finished no extra time or effort was wasted finding the matching neck for the body just grab and body and a neck and bolt them together. Job done. Move onto the next bass. The rest is history...

It's never really bothered me, but I do have 3 with matching headstocks. 2 have matching Necks AND Fretboards (!) too...

There's no accounting for taste! Just as well that they all play well and sound good!
I should imagine the original natural headstock concept was driven by cost and ease of manufacture.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='233513' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:37 AM']Am i the only one that finds fender basses hideous with painted headstocks? Same with most musicman basses too.[/quote]

Nope - same here. Maple necks and headstocks should be left naked. I don't even really like the look of rosewood boards on them, although I've accepted the compromise on my OLP MM22 cos of the huge price difference.

Colour matched headstocks just always seem to look massively naff to me.

The (always have to be different) Gibson approach - black front of headstock to match ebony fretboard, red back of headstock and neck to match body. It's a bit of a shock, the first time you see it in the flesh. It's mahogany though and I'm not a big fan of mahogany left uncovered.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='233903' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:54 AM']It's never really bothered me, but I do have 3 with matching headstocks. 2 have matching Necks AND Fretboards (!) too...

There's no accounting for taste! Just as well that they all play well and sound good!
I should imagine the original natural headstock concept was driven by cost and ease of manufacture.[/quote]I dont mind either painted or natural,depends on the colour/design/fingerboard of the bass,as already mentioned,IMO the blue bass would not look as good without the matching headstock.which really sets it off.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='234319' date='Jul 7 2008, 05:30 PM']The (always have to be different) Gibson approach - black front of headstock to match ebony fretboard, red back of headstock and neck to match body. It's a bit of a shock, the first time you see it in the flesh. It's mahogany though and I'm not a big fan of mahogany left uncovered.

[/quote]Is that your bass? It's a stunner.
I'm a sucker for red basses and pointy too, great.

Did some one say "pointy"?
Just reminded me of another colour-matched headstock, neck and body...

Apologies for blurred photo, missing string and dead pots.
Soon to be reborn, methinks.
I have sufficient spare bits to go either black or chrome with the hardware, and I might chuck a BadAss on there. I'm open to pick-up suggestions...
The current ones are "HardPunchers" Any relation to a certain Tokai "P" copy?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='234846' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:22 AM']Is that your bass? It's a stunner.
I'm a sucker for red basses and pointy too, great.[/quote]

Yes, it's mine. I wanted a Thunderbird without the narrow neck. It's great to play, but doesn't work that well in a band context. Seems to make the guitarist nervous. :)

At least, if the 80s ever come back, I'll be ready.