Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2.1U?

Cliff Burton

Hey again guys and gals. Sorry to plague you on this forum but when i'm no longer a noob you wont hear of my questions so much hahah. Anywho I was thinking about getting a Zoom, I know a few people who have used zooms and I like there feel and sound from the brief time that I played on one which was a... B1 I think. It has a larger set of effects before and a chromatic tuner that i'd be after with a host of number of FX, but also, (one of the big reasons i'm interested because of the PC transfer). And this pedal has a large amount of drum beats. Also intrigued and excited with the thought of cubase software, i've used logic before on an Apple, can anyone tell me if it's remotelty similar?

If anyone could recommend a better value for money Multi FX pedle with software that's as easy to use then go ahead :huh:
Thanks again everyone at BC you ledgends :)

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b21u/"]http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b21u/[/url] <=== linky for FX pedal
Cliff

Edited by Cliff Burton

I have no experience of the cubase LE as I use Linux and cubase don't support Linux

The USB interface is purely an audio interface so the Zoom appears as a selectable audio source and you can also send audio to the zoom for outboard processing through the currently selected patch.

Switches on the back of the zoom allow you to select if the USB output is pre- or post-processing so you can record the dry input if you desire...

feature wise: The zoom desperately needs an auxiliary audio input from CD or MP3. Lacking this makes it awkward to use as a self contained practice box using the headphone out. I currently have to run my zoom into my practice amp and my cd player into the aux in on the practice amp in order to jam along with backing tracks.

durability wise: I've had mine 18 months now and the two footswitches are getting dicky... sometimes pressing one results in nothing happening, sometimes the zoom jumps two patches instead... very frustrating. I'm out of warranty now rather unfortunate as the switches only manifested this just after the warranty expired... anyroad, I'm looking into taking mine apart and seeing what I can do... someone else has already wired up external footswitches on his.

Hey Cliff

Do a search in the Effects forum for 'Zoom' and a lot of stuff comes up, like this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=696&hl=zoom"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=696&hl=zoom[/url]

I've had mine a year or more now and it's been very reliable, easy to use and it definitely helps my sound mainly through using the amp modeling presets.

And as you say, it's such good value for money (picked it up for £45 here..).. Without having tried lots of others, it's not easy to say if it's the best out there, but it's definitely one of them!

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one - the standard patches are usable, I particularly like C6 and D1 - the DeFret works quite well, as does the octaver but to be hoinest I only really use the comp/lim, NR, reverb and bass amp modellers.
The drum machine and basic metronome included are good enough for practice.
The tuner works well enough, even on 5 string.
Its been robust and nothing has gone wrong. I agree that an Aux input would be nice.

Only thing I never got to work properly was Cubase on Windows Xp, and that seems to be a bit of an old chestnut for many, and is probably Windows XP at fault not he Zoom.

I'd buy another one.

You missed out on my Zoom B2.1u which I sold yesterday, but I have got a Zoom 708ii for sale, (shamelss plu there :brow: ) if you're interested?? It's got the drum machine program, chromatic tuner etc but unfortunately you can't hook it up to your pooter. But it'll be OK as a starter with bass effects for you. PM me if you're interested mate

[quote name='cheddatom' post='241839' date='Jul 17 2008, 03:56 PM']geek99 - what are your issues? My Zoom worked fine with cubase, but I already had it installed.[/quote]
Mainly due to the codecs and latency through them. I'm working in IT and pc support, so I'm fairly handy, but I couldnt sort them out. SOme XP setups just work striaght off the bat.

yes, even after re-reading the leaflet, de-installing it completely, re-installing it,. and making sure it all was set up same as the documentation, and reading various forums, it still didnt work. I therefore gave up as recording was only a novelty anyway.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='244443' date='Jul 21 2008, 02:24 PM']I find that very strange. Maybe time for a format![/quote]

yes, just got a 64 bit machine that I need to put XP on, so may try again. It'll get a new windows disk (being x64) so may work better as the drivers and stuff will all be more up to date)

I love mine it's great. Brilliant effects for what I use. Great backup DI and volume pedal is always useful as is the tuner, drum patterns and portability as a practise amp. Oh yeah and it's great as a soundcard/interface.

[quote name='Geek99' post='245051' date='Jul 22 2008, 08:17 AM']yes, just got a 64 bit machine that I need to put XP on, so may try again. It'll get a new windows disk (being x64) so may work better as the drivers and stuff will all be more up to date)[/quote]

Don't bother with XP 64 bit, you'll enter a whole world of hurt. 32 bit has MUCH better driver support, and Vista is still a little flaky for some audio apps and plugins. XP 32 bit is still the most stable version of Windows for audio production!