Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 2 pro

SkinnyMike

I swapped out some gear to pick up a 1993 "Premier" model Pro from here about this time last year.

Ashamed to say, I've never even plugged in with it! My band split up at exactly the same time and I've no cabinet at home - and no will to piss off the neighbours with the sound level...

Now I've possibly got another band on the go, and I'm on the verge of buying a new flightcase to make it [i]slightly [/i]easier to drag out of the house* - if there's a 4 Ohm speaker cab in the new practise space that can take it.

Totally bonkers, unnecessarily overpowered for any use I can ever make of it, and I'd be much better served by something more modern & practical. But I can't get past the fact that it's [i]the [/i]sound of countless classic 90s rock and metal albums and I'm a big kid really!

*According to my bathroom scales, the head + current flightcase weigh in at an eye-watering 38.6 Kilos...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391017812' post='2352350']
The same as my wife's arse.
[/quote]

Hahaha.

[quote name='HotelEcho' timestamp='1391011223' post='2352248']
I swapped out some gear to pick up a 1993 "Premier" model Pro from here about this time last year.

Ashamed to say, I've never even plugged in with it! My band split up at exactly the same time and I've no cabinet at home - and no will to piss off the neighbours with the sound level...

Now I've possibly got another band on the go, and I'm on the verge of buying a new flightcase to make it [i]slightly [/i]easier to drag out of the house* - if there's a 4 Ohm speaker cab in the new practise space that can take it.

Totally bonkers, unnecessarily overpowered for any use I can ever make of it, and I'd be much better served by something more modern & practical. But I can't get past the fact that it's [i]the [/i]sound of countless classic 90s rock and metal albums and I'm a big kid really!

*According to my bathroom scales, the head + current flightcase weigh in at an eye-watering 38.6 Kilos...
[/quote]

That's one heavy amp! What made this SVT2 I've currently got is its cased within a flight case.. That flight case alone is easily 15kg. Outrageous overall weight to lug about but also so SO necessary.

I had one for a little while... Absolutely loved the sounds out of it but did not love the weight, what a monster!
It's so deceiving - How can a 4u amp head weigh 32 odd KG :blink:

Alex at the Gallery said they're fantastic amps if you can leave them set up somewhere and get someone else to hump it about for you when needs be ha ha ha!

So... There's an EBS Proline 2x10 up for sale in the classified sections.

Rated at 400 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms so on paper it's capable of handling the SVT's output.

Is this a good small-cab solution for pairing up, or am I just being barking? I quite like the idea of having a lighter cab than head...

[quote name='HotelEcho' timestamp='1391090581' post='2353130']
So... There's an EBS Proline 2x10 up for sale in the classified sections.

Rated at 400 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms so on paper it's capable of handling the SVT's output.

Is this a good small-cab solution for pairing up, or am I just being barking? I quite like the idea of having a lighter cab than head...
[/quote]

The 400w rating will be a [color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]thermal rating ie it tells you how much heat the speakers' voice coils can handle as measured in watts, without incurring damage. This has no relation to the amount of power the speaker actually needs to reach its maximum mechanical output.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I had the exact same idea once; I wanted a valve amp, but didn't want anything as big as a 4x10. I wrote to Hiwatt to ask whether they did a 2x10 that would go with their 200w head. Their reply was something to the effect of "No. If you put that head through a 2x10 the sheer pressure will blow the cab apart" :lol:[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='HotelEcho' timestamp='1391090581' post='2353130']
...Is this a good small-cab solution for pairing up, or am I just being barking? I quite like the idea of having a lighter cab than head...
[/quote]

Of course you can!
Just use your ears to tell if/when the cab is struggling by farty noises, etc.
A good read up about it here: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/mythbusters1.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/mythbusters1.htm[/url]

Got a new rack case today, so while I was transferring mine into it's new home I though I'd take some photos for all the amp perverts on BC...

[attachment=153938:SVT-1.jpg]

Six Svetlana Winged-C 6550s

[attachment=153939:SVT-2.jpg]

I put a 50p on the transformer just to put all that iron in scale...

And the amp all racked up, in a case which makes it look pleasingly like a Nuclear bomb.

[attachment=153940:SVT-3.jpg]

Oh, and having heaved it on the scales it's now 37 Kilos on the nose, positively featherweight! I must say that thread where people are raving about their Bass Terrors is tempting me :lol:

Edited by HotelEcho