Why become a member? ×

Wall hangers - how can I fix them?

Jono Bolton

I've just bought a Hercules wall hanger as it was a bargain on eBay, but is there a way to mount it to the wall safely without the use of screws? I live in a rented flat and I don't think the landlord would be happy with me drilling 2 holes into the wall.

Is there any sort way of gluing it to the wall that will take the weight of my bass, but will also allow me to remove it cleanly if/when I move out?

Just a little aside - obviously I agree that you must fix any hangar to the full depth of the screw, preferably to a load bearing wall, else to the solid wooden join in a partition or false wall.

Unless you have a Hofner violin bass, in which case Sellotape, static, damp paper, or blu-tack will more than suffice. Same goes for most short-scale basses, especially if they have narrow string spacing.*

Additionally, Ikea sell PVC clad 'swing hooks' often in big boxes of 20, for less than a single Hercules clamp. Obviously, they're nowhere near as good as the Hercules, or similar sprung clamps - but if you have a lot of basses to hang up, or spent all your money on that last Zon, Overwater or Pedulla, they do the job in a pinch, without requiring additional screws as these are integral to the hooks. You'll still need rawl plugs for walls, though.

*this information may be dangerously untrue and prejudiced by my irrational big-handed, fat-fingered hatred of rubbery-sounding loose-strung basses for children.

Edited by Bass Awkward

If you have breeze block "dot and dab" walls you can dispense with the rawl plugs and just use long screws

I'm a landlord myself and I wouldn't mind. I'd appreciate the chance to inspect it myself after though, even if I didn't take the offer.