Why become a member? ×

anyone using BFM jack 15's?

Subthumper

As the tittle suggests is anyone using these? Was wondering what they were like and what drivers people are using. Was also wondering what if anyone's using or has used them with a valve head. And one last question, does anyone know if they'll work with a JBL 2226h? If the opinions are good I'm considering using two with my 200w valve head.
Cheers Just.

I built a pair with 3015HOs and used then stacked with a Carvin B1500, a Traynor 300w valve head and a Mywatt 200. They do exactly as BFM claims. The sound that you hear is the sound that the audience hears and they hear it everywhere in the venue. Each note is loud and clear and the cabs are also very efficient.

But, there's always a but, I didn't like the sound that much. There's not a lot of deep bass. Plenty of mids ands highs but not a lot of depth. Don't get me wrong, the bass isn't missing, it's all there but it's not the sort of bass that comes out of the cabinet rolls across the stage, falls onto the floor and then up the trouser leg of anyone that's listening, if you know what I mean.

Our very own discreet came and tried them out and preferred the sound of the Jack 12s, perhaps he'll pop in later and can give you his opinion as well.

If you like a well balanced sound then they're brilliant, but if you like a bit of rumble then they're not for you.

I've still got mine actually, all sad and lonely and looking for a new home. Not quite sure what to do with them. I might just take the speakers out and sell them separately.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1391004255' post='2352139']
But, there's always a but, I didn't like the sound that much. There's not a lot of deep bass. Plenty of mids ands highs but not a lot of depth. Don't get me wrong, the bass isn't missing, it's all there but it's not the sort of bass that comes out of the cabinet rolls across the stage, falls onto the floor and then up the trouser leg of anyone that's listening, if you know what I mean.
[/quote]

I've been thinking about building a pair of Jack 15's for a while, so I'm quite interested in this thread too.

You say there isn't a lot of deep bass, can this be EQ'd in? From what I've heard/read these cabinets feature a very prominent midrange, so the midrange would sound a lot louder than the bass, more so than in most standard cab configs which often feature quite a scooped sound.

If you were too cut the mids a bit and boost the bass, could you realistically get this cab to produce the bass you are missing at moderate volumes? I don't think I really use a lot of deep lows very often, so it probably wouldn't bother me anyway, but it would be interesting to know how these take bass EQ.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by tm486

I couldn't EQ the mid out with the passive EQ on the Traynor or the Mywatt. It was better with a graphic EQ pedal but I couldn't EQ the bass in to my liking. Also it sort of lost the reason for having Jacks in the first place. This is of course very subjective as I know others are more than happy with the sound of the jacks.

I should also add that the rest of the band commented that they could hear what I was playing clearer with the Jacks.

Edited by bertbass

I was thinking of building a jack or two too, I didn't think the 15 was that much better than the 12 and would have probably tried to build the lite version.
What a lot of users, and Bill himself, said is that they do need Eq to work well - and my preamp doesn't really have enough bands to do that.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1391016560' post='2352320']
I was thinking of building a jack or two too, I didn't think the 15 was that much better than the 12 and would have probably tried to build the lite version.
What a lot of users, and Bill himself, said is that they do need Eq to work well - and my preamp doesn't really have enough bands to do that.
[/quote]A five band EQ is sufficient, maybe four if one is parametric. But two or three isn't going to do it for most. As for the lows, they're no less than any 1x15, and more than most. But the mids are so much more prominent that it may seem to have less low end.

Yes I tried bertbass's Jack 15s and found them a little too mid-prominent for my taste. I prefer my Jack 12s because they [i]seem [/i]to be able to handle a lot more bottom end... I'm sure from what Bill has said that this is an illusion, but there it is.

In fact the usable range for the 3012HO starts at 51Hz and the 3015HO at 40Hz, so on paper...

Also the 12s are easier to haul. Well I think so, as bertbass's had quite large castors fitted - this made them seem a lot bigger.

Long story short, the solution was for bert to build me a second Jack 12 - and the two together are epic. Thanks, bert! :)

Edited by discreet

Thanks for the replies, I've got a 4 band EQ with 2 band parametric mid, and a 9 band graphic EQ on my amp, so I should think this will be more than adequate. I like quite a lot of mids in my sound, so that's another plus for the Jacks.

I think a pair of these might be on the cards as soon as I have got the time and the resources.

Cheers,

Tom

I use two with 2515's and no tweeters in conjunction with an Ashdown ABM 500 head and am very happy with them. I'd like to get a pair of Jack 12's sorted at some point as well. The 15's aren't the smallest cabs in the world by any stretch, but they aren't massive either. Having played through cabs by Ashdown, Barefaced, Ampeg, Schroeder, MarkBass, Peavey and Marshall to name a few I can say that only the Barefaced Big Twin would move me away from my J15's.

Obviously Sheffield may be a bit far for you, but if you or anyone wanted to bring their head or hear them through mine they'd be more than welcome.

[quote name='tm486' timestamp='1391025218' post='2352454']
I think a pair of these might be on the cards as soon as I have got the time and the resources.
[/quote]

Have a word with bertbass - I'm sure his are available and I can tell you they are built to a very high standard. :)

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1391027594' post='2352493']
Having played through cabs by Ashdown, Barefaced, Ampeg, Schroeder, MarkBass, Peavey and Marshall to name a few I can say that only the Barefaced Big Twin would move me away from my J15's.
[/quote]

I'd say exactly the same for my J12s... or possibly a BF '69er. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1391004255' post='2352139']
I've still got mine actually, all sad and lonely and looking for a new home. Not quite sure what to do with them. I might just take the speakers out and sell them separately.
[/quote]

I could be the home for them without the speakers - I have a pair of 3015s looking for a purpose in life. Downside is it is a long way between Hastings and Mid Wales.