Why become a member? ×

Setup/cleaning a Vintage Jazz Bass

jamie_k11

Hey guys,

Hope you can help!

Bought myself a '68 jazz bass, all original which I'm loving at the moment! I restrung it when I first got it and gave it a rather basic clean up.

Now I'm thinking of giving it a setup,restring and maybe a more thorough clean. The finish is highly worn away, and quite a lot of the hardware is grubby, a bit rusty etc.

Do you guys think its worth cleaning it up, as I know there's a lot of people that love its authenticity when it's like that. But I'd quite like to just make it a bit more 'hygienic' lol! Again the screws around the pickups look a bit dirty from years of playing. Is it worth it, or is this just me being a bit to anal for no reason? Also the original strap screws don't fit on strap locks, and they won't come out. Again is that something not worth risking playing about with, or what would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Hope you can just give some advice on what you would do! Thanks guys,

Jamie :)

Giving all the chrome hardware a bath in lighter fluid will clean the gunk off but not remove the rust. It worked a treat on the 1970 Precision I had.

I'd leave the strap screws and wiring harness alone if all original.

I'd clean the body [i]gently[/i] with a polish that is nitro-friendly: press too hard and you're through to the wood!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1390907603' post='2351038']

I'd clean the body [i]gently[/i] with a polish that is nitro-friendly: press too hard and you're through to the wood!
[/quote]

I'd use a soft cloth and a small amount of Flash general cleaner - don't get it really wet, just a damp cloth.

:useless:

As we say here in BC-land "if there's no pictures is doesn't exist :D

Thanks for all your advice guys! I'll leave the strap screws alone, I bought a new strap which seems very right and secure! As for the hardware, I think I'll just give it a clean up for hygiene reasons, but keep that authentic vibe still with it! I'll post a picture of the body for you, as I'm at work and I have one on my phone from the other day :)

Again, thank you for your help!

Wow! I love the look,personally I would leave it as is. The hardware looks right with the body wear. Just dump the Schaller 3d though.Get a nice reliced vintage style fender bridge for about £25.Would look much better imho. Nice bass. Looking for something like that myself.

Cheers guys, yeah it sounds lovely! Throw a sponge under the strings, whip of the shadows of Motown book and your away! :P yeah I've given it a normal hygiene clean, but as you have all said I've left the electrics alone! I don't think they need any care anyway, again thanks for all your help and advice :)