Why become a member? ×

Pete Seeger RIP

oggiesnr

One of the greats of music.

He helped keep alive a strand of music and provided a link and source to the past. He added to it and nurtured new talent. He left a huge body of work (over 100 albums). An enviromentalist before it was fashionable and activist right up until his death.

One of the most charismatic performers I ever saw live (back in the 1970s) he also proved that you don't need a huge sound system and set and theatrics to keep an audience engaged. If you've got it you just need the material, a five string banjo and be prepared to give of yourself.

Steve

Fixed typo

Edited by oggiesnr

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1390941619' post='2351648']
They were talking about him on the radio as I came home. I have to admit that I've never heard of him. I guess I missed out?
[/quote]

Massively important in 50's/60's collecting all the old American folk songs, promoting the country blues artists like Leadbelly and then handing them down to the next generation including Dylan. Was also banned from US TV because of his political activism. Funnily enough, not really the easiest of people to listen to these days, but the Springsteen album gives his work a nice new twist and his influence was massive.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1390949445' post='2351740']
The first actual protest singer. A great talent.
[/quote]

He would argue with that (and did). He would point to the long tradition of unknown singers who left us great songs and then point to Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie.

Steve

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1390949445' post='2351740']
The first actual protest singer. A great talent.
[/quote]
[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390950772' post='2351757']
He would argue with that (and did). He would point to the long tradition of unknown singers who left us great songs and then point to Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie.

Steve
[/quote]

Afraid I would as well - Billie Holiday Strange Fruit springs to mind (1939)

Still, not taking away anything from a man with a banjo that kills Fascists!