Why become a member? ×

Ric owners, pickup options

Iheartreverb

I'm upgrading the pickups on my faker soon. I'm really between official Rickenbacker ones (high gain neck and bridge) and Classic Amplification who hand make them in America and claim to be a more vintage spec.

Can anyone vouch for either or help with a comparison between the two?

Happy to consider other options as long as they fit within the budget of around £200 a set
All help appreciated

On a lesser budget, the Kent Armstrong toasters are good sounding pickups for the neck position. They're intended as guitar pickups, but Ric use the same toaster pickups on guitar and bass. WD music have them. [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/replacement-toaster-pickup-front-2687-p.asp"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/replacement-toaster-pickup-front-2687-p.asp[/url]

[quote name='namefail' timestamp='1390737213' post='2348748']
What's the wood and construction of your bass and what's your desired sound?
[/quote]

I do most sound shaping at my amp with bass boost and mid cut and normally use all my pots on full in the middle position.

The bridge pickup on mine is nearly unusable it's so noisey. I use the neck on its own a fair bit too but if I'm changing pickups is like to do the set so they balance.

I play in a post rock band and play super clean more upfront parts quite a bit. Think Mogwai.

Really not into the Ric sound everyone hunts for (Rush/Yes) with all that clanky treble heavy pick playing.

Looking for more of a rounder less aggressive sound but not as mellow as flats with fingers Motown stuff.

I got it because I didn't enjoy the Jazz I had and loads of bands I like have one (Grizzly Bear, Warpaint, I like Trains, Mogwai, Hope of the States) but the pickups are just rubbish

Edited by Iheartreverb

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1390736923' post='2348743']
Useless comments aside. I'm not a tone chaser in the regard I need/want it to nail the tone 100%.
I just need it to be useable and at present the pickups aren't
[/quote]

Thats copies, but how much you willing to spend to make it "playable" the copies can fetch £500, then £200 for pickups.
You could pick up a second hand 4003 for around a grand, that will still be worth a grand when you want to flog it.

Copies are ok, but once you start spending you have to look where you are going with it.

The Brand matters not, but there is a term of throwing good money after bad.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1390740262' post='2348797']

Thats copies, but how much you willing to spend to make it "playable" the copies can fetch £500, then £200 for pickups.
You could pick up a second hand 4003 for around a grand, that will still be worth a grand when you want to flog it.

Copies are ok, but once you start spending you have to look where you are going with it.

The Brand matters not, but there is a term of throwing good money after bad.
[/quote]

+1

Seriously, most of the tone of an instrument comes from how it is made. For example, in addition to my 4002, (yes, "2," not "1," nor "3") I have a custom half-fanned P-style bass that I narrowed the string spacing at the bridge and used a Rickenbacker humbucking pickup. Does it sound like a Rickenbacker? No, it sound like a P-bass with a touch more growl.

Pickups alone aren't going to do it. Save your money and purchase a real deal.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1390737460' post='2348754']
On a lesser budget, the Kent Armstrong toasters are good sounding pickups for the neck position. They're intended as guitar pickups, but Ric use the same toaster pickups on guitar and bass. WD music have them. [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/replacement-toaster-pickup-front-2687-p.asp"]http://www.wdmusic.c...ront-2687-p.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Oh that seems interesting. My rockinbetter is great on the bridge but has a really rubbish - that would like like it could be a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1391296116' post='2355581']
Seriously, most of the tone of an instrument comes from how it is made. For example, in addition to my 4002, (yes, "2," not "1," nor "3") I have a custom half-fanned P-style bass that I narrowed the string spacing at the bridge and used a Rickenbacker humbucking pickup. Does it sound like a Rickenbacker? No, it sound like a P-bass with a touch more growl.

Pickups alone aren't going to do it. Save your money and purchase a real deal.
[/quote]

You sort of miss most of my point. I'm not dying for it to sound dead on like a Ric, just to get an even balanced and usable tones from it.

Given the instrument, aftermarket Ric pickups are the obvious choice to get an improvement, I'm clearly not gonna route it out for something else.

If when I gig someone is stood there thinking to themselves " that's a nice tone but has more/ less (delete as appropriate)....(insert tone here) than a Ric" I don't think I'll lose sleep over it

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1392673423' post='2371557']
You sort of miss most of my point. I'm not dying for it to sound dead on like a Ric, just to get an even balanced and usable tones from it.
[/quote]

There is a unique thing with Ric copies I have noticed since having one. If you have a Fender P Bass copy and you say 'I would like a different pickup for it', you will get no end of people falling over themselves to provide advice for different pickups and the differences you make.
If you say the same thing for a Ric copy, you will have a lot of people telling you how you will never get it to sound like a ric, so you might as well sell your £300 bass and save up the other £1k you need to get a real one.
I have no idea why that would be.

However, the SD pickup I bought for mine from ahpook is pretty good. Its a bit smaller than the original but not so much to make an issue, and it is very clear. My bridge pickup is pretty good anyway.

To get a good approximation of the sound go for the high gains......not cheap though but cheaper than the toasters. I'd avoid the HB1s, a bit cheaper than the high gains as a pair but a bit dark sounding for many.
Try and get a good copy of the harness or much of your work will be undone without the right cap value etc. Don't spend the extra getting the vintage tone selector, it makes the neck pup far too thin for most peoples tastes and to my ears nothing like a vintage 4001.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1392746702' post='2372287']
To get a good approximation of the sound go for the high gains......not cheap though but cheaper than the toasters. I'd avoid the HB1s, a bit cheaper than the high gains as a pair but a bit dark sounding for many.
Try and get a good copy of the harness or much of your work will be undone without the right cap value etc. Don't spend the extra getting the vintage tone selector, it makes the neck pup far too thin for most peoples tastes and to my ears nothing like a vintage 4001.
[/quote]

Smashing stuff, thanks.
All current Ric's have 330k pots any advice on whether I could use more commonly available 250/500k ones and the sound difference in doing this.

As a point of reference I normally roll the bridge tone off slightly just the take the edge off.

Cheers

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1394197091' post='2389029']
geminipickups.co.uk
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Don't like these visually and can't find little to no reviews on the sound.
Can you help?

I've near enough decided on either Ric, classic amplification or Bart's

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1394140071' post='2388461']

Smashing stuff, thanks.
All current Ric's have 330k pots any advice on whether I could use more commonly available 250/500k ones and the sound difference in doing this.

As a point of reference I normally roll the bridge tone off slightly just the take the edge off.

Cheers
[/quote]

If you can get 330k I would - really suit the stock Ric harness. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the 500k in the 4004 with the HB1s and I believe that was a significant factor in darkening the sound.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1394224962' post='2389411']

If you can get 330k I would - really suit the stock Ric harness. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the 500k in the 4004 with the HB1s and I believe that was a significant factor in darkening the sound.
[/quote]

Ah right. Well I'd be looking at Ric high gains or the classic amplification hand wound alternative (that some people say are better).

I just don't know how much diff either pot (250/500) would make versus the 330's

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1394226151' post='2389423']

Ah right. Well I'd be looking at Ric high gains or the classic amplification hand wound alternative (that some people say are better).

I just don't know how much diff either pot (250/500) would make versus the 330's
[/quote]

Have a chat with some of the guys on the ric resource forum, they'll be able to advise. One of them puts harnesses together for 4004s and 4003s who's a lot more knowledgeable and should be able to give practical advice. Just don't say it's a faker ;-)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1394227100' post='2389438']
I know a chap who swapped his 4001 pup for a Seymour Duncan, and noticed no difference what so ever.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass-pickups/rickenbacker/
[/quote]

I don't know what to think of these. Bar far the cheapest option. Hated by purists and tolerated by people wanting to make their bass sound a little bit different.

I'm personally not too bothered on it sounding 100% Ric as long as it sounds useable but the horror stories put me off.

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1394228511' post='2389450']
I don't know what to think of these. Bar far the cheapest option. Hated by purists and tolerated by people wanting to make their bass sound a little bit different.

I'm personally not too bothered on it sounding 100% Ric as long as it sounds useable but the horror stories put me off.
[/quote]

Well, no horror stories here. Apart from the waste of money to get the sound he already had.