Why become a member? ×

Went shopping for a Fender PJ but came back with 2 Corts!

grayn

As if I didn't have enough basses, I went out this morning with the intention of probably getting a Japanese Fender Jazz, with PJ pickups. I'd played this particular Candy Red bass, a couple of months ago and really quite fancied it.
First thing I realized when I got to the shop was, they'd sold it. @%*!!
Well, they had the same bass in sunburst but I already have an amazing sunburst jazz. After sulking for a few seconds, I decided to try out every bass in the shop, that 1, I liked the look of and 2, was in my price range.

So I tried some great Fenders, including an unusual Precision, that had a lovely, Jazz neck, with a maple F/B and block markers. An Overwater (Inspiration 4, I think) that was beautifully made but had the skinniest neck (all the way up) I've played. No support for your hand. A US Musicman Sterling, that had a beautiful neck but like one I'd previously owned, I couldn't get a sound I liked. Far too aggressive. I even went out of my price range and tried a Yamaha 2024X, that was on special offer. Superb bass but just didn't have any magic.

Then I spotted a Cort. A GB4 Custom. Some time ago, I'd owned a GB99, that was a beautifully made bass. It's only weakness was it's sweet toned, passive pickups had very little output. But the GB4 is active. Soon as I picked it up and played (unamped), I liked it. It has a Jazz type neck (my favourite), though it's not quite as wide, up the top end. Lovely, low but solid action, with a lively, responsive feel. Also IMO, this bass is rather beautiful and the finishing is as good as pretty much anything else I've played. OK it doesn't quite have the quality of my old, hand made, English Overwater but it's up there with many a "high-end" bass.

Time to plug in and yes, there's plenty of power here and tone too. The volume, pan, 3 band EQ and "funk" switch, all come together to give you a very tasty range of tones. I dialled in my usual set up; Vol-full, Pan-55% mid pickup & 45% bridge pickup. EQ - Treble and middle-flat, bass +1 or 2, funk switch off. And wow! Through the shop's Mark Bass combo, things sounded delightful.

I'm ashamed to say that a little snobbery struck me then. All my recent basses were made in the US, the UK or Japan. What was I thinking, buying down market? Fortunately sense prevailed and I realised this was a great bass that suited
me down to the ground. What was the problem? None at all, as it turned out and as another plus, I had some cash left and I'd been thinking of dabbling with a 5-string again.I tried a lovely G&L Tribute but nah! Then I picked up a Cort A5. Now here's a top 5-string, for not a lot of cash. It played beautifully but just didn't make me want a 5-string again. I was going to give up, when, on a whim, I grabbed a Cort GB75. It's cheaper than the A5 but as soon as I played it, I knew it was the one for me. Superb set-up, string spacing and neck. Very solid but surprisingly light. It just felt right, in my hands. Responsive and musical. Amped up it pretty much sounded like a 5-string version of the GB4 Custom. So I was there. 2 lovely, inspiring basses from an unexpected source. A good day indeed.

Thanks folks.
I can't help thinking that Corts have continued to get better.
The B on the fiver is pretty well defined. I'm no expert on fivers but the lower than E notes astay pretty solid.
Also, I play with fingers but for fun tried a thinnish plectrum on the fiver and it sounded really good. Some great vintage sounds to be had.
Now I've got the basses home, through my own rig, it's more apparent that the pickups and preamps are different. The GB4's are just so good, getting a multitude of classy tones. The GB75's is prone to a more bassy, full sound. That's partly as fivers tend to sound more that way. with some knob twiddling, I dialled in some great single and double pickup tones. They're different but both are really good.