Why become a member? ×

Newbie strings questions

Bobthedog

As a newbie to this bass thing, can someone please explain the different type of strings (flats / round / wound / half wound etc) to me as well as some idea of suggested gauge / make for my Fender P Bass.

As a starter, I have not settled on a preferred "sound" or even know if strings change the sound of the bass. At the moment I am just learning simple Rockschool stuff.

Whilst I bought the bass new three weeks ago from my local small village music shop, I now think it was hanging around there for a while. it is a 2011 model and I want to change the strings to be new. Even if it is not needed, I just would like to start with new strings so I know what the "zing" is meant to feel like.

Having done a forum search I could not find anything in response to this type of question.

Roundwound = lots of top end and zing (when new) and a rougher feel
Half/preasure/ground wound = the feel of a flat with some of the tone of a roundwound
Flatwound = not a lot of top end to the tone and no zing and a smooth feel

Whenever this question is asked the same answer always comes out. It is down to personal taste. Don't let anyone tell you that you should use this string or that string. It has to be what you want. What kind of tone do you like on records? What kind of music do you want to play? What kind of feel do you want in a string? All things to consider.

Really if you don't know you have to experiment. That means buying different sets and playing them until you find what your ear likes best.

Edited by BassBus

Forgot to add that there are variations between the same kind of string too. Flats generally have quite a high tension due to there being more metal in them. But, then there are Thomastik Jazz Flats which are quite low tension. then there's all the different gauges. Confused? You will be.

As BassBus has said, there are so many different types it`s difficult to make a recommendation, but if you have any specific bassists whose work you really like and whose tone you`re trying for, that would help in recommendations.

For example, virtually all of my fave bassists play Fender Precisions strung with Rotosound Steel Roundwound strings. Makes sense if I`m trying for their sounds to have the same kit.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1390671496' post='2348205']...Whilst I bought the bass new three weeks ago from my local small village music shop, I now think it was hanging around there for a while. it is a 2011 model and I want to change the strings to be new. Even if it is not needed, I just would like to start with new strings so I know what the "zing" is meant to feel like...[/quote]

Good evening, Bob...

Just to react to this aspect of your question, I'm not sure I'd recommend changing the strings of your bass so soon, unless there's something really wrong with them. Even if the bass has been in the shop a while, and even if a few folks have already played them, in trying it out before being sold to you, I would consider the strings to be about as good as new. This, more especially if you've been playing for only a few weeks. I doubt if the so-called 'zing' will be greatly appreciable in your current circumstances. There's no hurry, give yourself (and your bass...) at least a couple of months together before doing any changes.
Do you have a good bass teacher..? This is an aspect which will bring far more rapid benefit than any other single factor, imo, and would enable you to get some on-hand advice as to how to best progress (including advice on string choice and changing...). Some players keep the same set of strings for years; others change once a week. Settle down first into your rhythm. If a new set makes you feel better, and encourages you to practice more, so be it, as long as you know how to change them, or have someone set them up for you. I would council patience, though.
Subject to correction, completion and/or contradiction from others; hope this helps.

Doug, thank you.

I do have a good teacher (albeit he is more guitar focused and only teaches to intermediate level on bass) and am aware my technique is still very flawed. My thoughts came from reading a thread here where most people appear to change their strings fairly quickly.

I will not be changing the strings myself at this time; not only did I get a good price on the P Bass but my LMS also agreed to do my first string change for me at no cost (I need to pay for the strings only).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1390993232' post='2351973']
i hate new strings. if i could buy new strings that sounded two years old i would :)
[/quote]

Me too. My current strings on my main gigging/rehearsal bass are just coming up to a year old and they get plenty of use. I suppose its down to personal taste, but I don't feel the need to change them just yet.

My guitar strings get changed about 3 times a year depending on how much I use them.

Jas

• 3 weeks later...