Why become a member? ×

Best pickup for an old P-bass?

Skol303

I'm sure this has been asked before, but bear with me... ;)

I'm slowly sourcing parts for a mid-70s P-bass 'bitsa' project. So far I've found some great bargains and made a bunch of new friends along the way. All good.

I'm currently chewing over different options for the pickups, those being:

- Finding an original 70s Fender split pickup (expensive but obviously authentic)

- Fitting a brand new Fender 'original' pickup (much less expensive and naturally P-bass sounding)

- Fitting a Lindy Fralin or Nordstrand pickup (not authentic... but sound great and a popular choice)

This is proving to be e real 'heart vs head' decision for me. My heart says buy Fender, maybe even going so far as to buy a 70s p'up (so far every other part I've sourced is original 73/74).

My head says buy what is going to give the best sound, which may well be the Lindy or Nordstrand (I know that's probably blasphemy!).

Thoughts/comments very welcome.

Cheers.

Cheers Mark... that's what my gut is telling me (well actually right now it's saying "you forgot breakfast!" but that's another topic).

I think I'm only hesitating because of the cost of old 70s p'ups. I have a mate in the US who's currently tempting me with one, so I may well cave in eventually.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1390554331' post='2346639']
Cheers Mark... that's what my gut is telling me (well actually right now it's saying "you forgot breakfast!" but that's another topic).

I think I'm only hesitating because of the cost of old 70s p'ups. I have a mate in the US who's currently tempting me with one, so I may well cave in eventually.
[/quote]

It's only money! If you get a Lindy the bass will sound great but YOU will KNOW you compromised on authenticity!

I'm making this a lot easier for you, right? :D

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1390569220' post='2346960']
It all depends what you want from the finished bass. If you want something that looks, plays and sounds like a vintage Fender, there's only one solution :)
[/quote]

I disagree, you can Lego genuine parts to make a good replica

My vague replica plus some clever paint has fooled a lot of people

The genuine 70s Fender pickups have a distinct sound, a bit more scooped than you would expect, though I do suspect this may have something to do with the bodies being made of ash rather than alder. So if you really want to keep the bass as original as possible seek one of these out. Makes sense if all the rest of the parts are 70s bits to have the pickup as well.