Why become a member? ×

Getting solid hip-hop and dub sounds

ironkerton

Hey gang,

I'm trying to build my gear up after a long time in bass stasis and I'm about 5 years behind the times. I'm looking to build up a gritty pedalboard for electro synthy dirty bass sounds. I'm running a 4003 into a green sovtek big muff with a sansamp programmable BDDI. I'm eagerly awaiting a Markbass Super Synth which I'm clearly going to spend the next week playing with. I've also got a blue box and rat knocking around. What other pedals would you recommend?

Some things I'm after:
[s]A good sub - i'm keeping an eye out for a meatbox[/s] (I didn't need to retile the kitchen floor anyway)
A crunchy helicopter-y delay - any thoughts?
More fuzz
Noisy toys

Cheers!

Edited by ironkerton

[quote name='ironkerton' timestamp='1390449336' post='2345577']
Hey gang,

I'm trying to build my gear up after a long time in bass stasis and I'm about 5 years behind the times. I'm looking to build up a gritty pedalboard for electro synthy dirty bass sounds. I'm running a 4003 into a green sovtek big muff with a sansamp programmable BDDI. I'm eagerly awaiting a Markbass Super Synth which I'm clearly going to spend the next week playing with. I've also got a blue box and rat knocking around. What other pedals would you recommend?

Some things I'm after:
[s]A good sub - i'm keeping an eye out for a meatbox[/s] (I didn't need to retile the kitchen floor anyway)
A crunchy helicopter-y delay - any thoughts?
More fuzz
Noisy toys

Cheers!
[/quote]

Well as an owner of a 4003 and a green Sovtek russian I recomend the following:

Dod Meatbox is awesome and about as thunderous sub as you can get but I recently ordered the Mantic Beef Bag which is an exact clone of the Meatbox only without 15 years of use on it, better bypass etc so I'm excited for that to turn up.
Dod FX25 Filter
Mojohand 443 Analogue Filter - This is a better option than the FX25, gets the same subby tone of the filter not opening but with better construction and bypass

Get some flats on the Ric just makes it such a better bass and always run the above last.

Other fuzz's I'd look at is the Malekko Diabolik unless you've tried the B:Assmaster and didn't like it, else a Superfuzz or clone if you can get one. Other than that everything else fun is just a muff clone ;)

Delays I love the Subdecay Echobox but really tempted with the Endangered Audio AD4096 but you have top get something with modulation and either analog or analog sounding, that said the old digitech pds delays are great fun.

Never been a big fan of trem, most of my modulation I do with modulated delays.

Hope this helps

A gated fuzz is really useful. The Chunk Systems Brown Dog is excellent, as is the Iron Ether Oxide. Bitcrushers / Sample Rate Reducers very useful for adding a digital quality to stuff and generally destroying things. A good spacious-sounding chorus to add to your filtered fuzz if you want that cheesy Pendulum sound (I don't, personally).

For a filter try the Boomstick Bottomfeeder, pretty much a bass version clone of the Dod 440.
It's a great little filter, very musical - easy to dial in a thick subby tone. Works well with fuzz too
There's one for sale in the effects section at the moment, my old one. I ended up buying another one after selling mine, because I missed it so much! :rolleyes:

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1390758563' post='2349129']
For a filter try the Boomstick Bottomfeeder, pretty much a bass version clone of the Dod 440.
It's a great little filter, very musical - easy to dial in a thick subby tone. Works well with fuzz too
There's one for sale in the effects section at the moment, my old one. I ended up buying another one after selling mine, because I missed it so much! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Still my fav filter ever

• 1 month later...

[quote name='happynoj' timestamp='1395273340' post='2400649']
Boss OC-2. Solo the -1ve and play everything up an octave on the bass and you've got instant G-Funk.[/quote]

The G-Funk bass sound was more sawtooth than square wave, maybe an SH-101 or a MiniMoog. There just isn't any good way to get a sawtooth sound out of any guitar effect pedal (even the ones that claim to do it like the Korg G5 and Markbass Super Synth), so IMHO the G-Funk sound is really not worth pursuing.

It's a shame. :(