Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

I've just noticed when you open the linked page on a deko product follow down the right hand side then
open the page for the normal guitar,it's called bundled products.

Under bundled products on the non deko items it tells you how many dekos are available.
5 of both the mini strat and white classical guitars are up for grabs just now.

Very useful. Only 3 white classical electro-acoustics left.

5 left handed acoustic basses left.

5 tricone resonator weird metal guitar left.

5 banjos left.

These numbers do seem suspiciously similar given that these are supposedly instruments that failed quality control.

EDIT: Classical guitar gone.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Arrived today. A little trepidation as I unwrapped it, went round it with some concern only to find a tiny bit of finish missing of the bottom edge of the headstock. Nothing else! Plugged in a battery, tuned it up and it sounds fine. Can't be bothered to photograph it as it is such a tiny issue you can hardly see it.
It's now off to Malta this week for the youngest's boyfriend's 40th along with a load of other stuff in a container as she has moved out there and a load of their stuff has been stored at ours. Result!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Nice one. I'm so glad somebody's getting something out of this. I used to check the deko thing fairly frequently and it never really changed. Then somebody started this topic and it all blew up. I can't help feeling that whatever bot is buying the stuff automatically is a result one way or another of this thread.
IF that's what is actually happening. Maybe the items are disappearing immediately because Thomann are taking them down. It might just be some admin glitch.
Who knows.
Judging by the NBD descriptions here, it still seems odd that they're almost being given away. I mean, if a finish blemish makes it unplayable, what counts as B-stock? A bass that nearly fell over but actually didn't? Or one whose E string was temporarily tuned a bit sharp, putting [i]too much [/i]stress on the neck..

Edited by alittlebitrobot

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1427221028' post='2727514']
Nice one. I'm so glad somebody's getting something out of this. I used to check the deko thing fairly frequently and it never really changed. Then somebody started this topic and it all blew up. I can't help feeling that whatever bot is buying the stuff automatically is a result one way or another of this thread.
IF that's what is actually happening. Maybe the items are disappearing immediately because Thomann are taking them down. It might just be some admin glitch.
Who knows.
Judging by the NBD descriptions here, it still seems odd that they're almost being given away. I mean, if a finish blemish makes it unplayable, what counts as B-stock? A bass that nearly fell over but actually didn't? Or one whose E string was temporarily tuned a bit sharp, putting [i]too much [/i]stress on the neck..
[/quote]

It does seem odd that they are being sold so cheaply. Personally I suspect that someone is buying them to sell in a shop. However, that's only a vague suspicion, nothing else.

BTW: It was myself who started this thread over a year ago. It took quite some time before people actually started buying them, and we as a forum have had a good run at them. I don't think the characterisation of the situation as: this thread starting and then it 'blew up' is accurate. It was the guitars that started going very quickly, and to a large extent it still is. Basses appear to stick around longer. The most recent bass to turn up when my program was running was a Jazz bass, and I believe that was bought by someone on here, seven minutes after it appeared. So, I would guess that it is guitar people who are buying with bots, if that is what is happening.

EDIT: Owen 'bought' the bass, but it had sold out by the time he completed the purchase.

@Kodiakblair - even the non-deko acoustic basses had the incorrect labels.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Dekos!

PJ5! [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pj_5_htr_deluxe_series_deko.htm?sid=06ed21ba48f4f01e4d102ee3a64a918d"]http://www.thomann.d...d102ee3a64a918d[/url]

I've purchased a PJ5. I'd like to use it for practicing levelling of frets. If anyone near Leicester misses out, and really really was desperate for one, please talk to me. (I wouldn't profiteer). I removed the jazz bass kit I had in my shopping basket which was going to be a project to allow me to do that. I'll just use the HTR as a kit.

Custom 'Nashville' nylon electro-acoustic. Much more expensive than the £14 classical guitars, but so are the non-deko ones.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_custom_line_nashvilledeko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...shvilledeko.htm[/url]

Most of them (minus a standard strat) are still there 14 minutes after they were listed.

EDIT: Nashville nylon electro-acoustic gone. PJ5 still there.

Edited by Annoying Twit

It is official, I have to stop following this thread. I bought a PJ5 and the nylon strung. One of the cheaper nylons arrived a couple of days ago. Shockingly sharp fret ends (but I have a file) and astoundingly white.

Hopefully we're both early enough in the queue that we'll get ours. It says "available immediately" rather than there just being a few items remaining or whatever it says for some other instruments. I tried KB's method of ascertaining the stock level, but when I go to the main instrument page, the bundles don't list the dekos.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Four instruments bought from this batch? That would probably be the best batch ever if we all get them.

Owen - when you get the Nashville acoustic, I'd like to hear what the acoustic sound is like. The Thomann page for it only has sound samples recorded via the pickup. I do think they look very nice, and one of them could replace my very battered Yamaha C40. If you could compare the sound of the two HB classicals, that would help. Note that my C40 is in such bad condition that I don't need to know what the HB classicals sound like compared to a C40!

EDIT: PJ5 still up. Over half an hour now. Will it make a full hour? EDIT: It did.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I have just bought one of the PJ5's as I always wanted to experiment with a 5 string and they are still showing stock available! How many of these things have they got?

By the way, thanks to Annoying Twit for starting and updating this thread. I am not entirely certain that Mrs S would echo that sentiment though...

Edited by Chris Sharman

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1427366209' post='2729335']
I took the tele as well. It is my left handed friend's birthday today. I added it to the batch so as to avoid postage costs :)
[/quote]

I've just loudly LOL'd in a public place!

That's six we've bought from this single batch, I think. I can't remember the price, but I think it was about £16 or so for the tele wasn't it? Also, in terms of what I mention in actual threads, I note that a left handed and/or cheap telecaster may be of interest. I definitely will remember that in the future.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1427366169' post='2729332']
i umm'd and ahhh'd too long :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Your time will come.

Here's a youtube video with the Nashville Nylon. Sounds nice IMHO, it doesn't have that slightly 'hard' sound that some piezo pickups have. The same person in another video says that it's quite quiet acoustically.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26aHja5FflQ[/media]

Here's what I assume to be the acoustic sound. I think the playing could be a bit cleaner however.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXSymkCELis[/media]

And since most of us bought the PJ-5 HTR, here's an online demo while we're waiting for a week or so.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV_iSITTPUk[/media]

Edited by Annoying Twit

damn you , twit ... how am i supposed to not buy that 5 string now >.< .... i just have to keep focusing on that ugly as sin scratch-plate no-one mention that it could be wrapped in plastic or sprayed ... la la la not listening ...

*sneaks off to the thomann site*

Edited by synthaside

I've just reviewed my order. I had a shopping basket ready so that I could check out really quickly if a suitable Deko turned up.

My order has one of these in it, though I don't remember adding it!

Ooops! I do remember being curious about how well a bass equaliser would function in shaping the sound of basses, and wondering if it would give some boost too. I'm going to find out now :)

I've also ordered some nylon tape wound strings (Fender 9120). Again, that was something that I was interested in trying out. But at least I remembered adding those, and knew they were there when I hit the buy button.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427382337' post='2729692'] Nashville Deko back! [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_custom_line_nashvilledeko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...shvilledeko.htm[/url] EDIT: 3 left, according to the KB method. [/quote]

Pretty nice-looking. I'm currently selling a much better Ibanez classical guitar, so it would be ludicrous of me to buy this...
and, yet, still tempted :D This is just silly.