Why become a member? ×

Probably another Dumbass Question! Aguilar DB112

Thor

Hi All,

After the recent purchase of a DB750 (which I love to bits and don't mind hauling around to gigs), I'm now thinking of purchasing a DB112 & DB112NT to compliment the amp. I tried a 4x10 when buying and loved the sound of it, BUT, I have a dodgy back (prolapsed discs) and while I'd love a big cab, there's no way I can go back to anything too heavy.

So I'm doing my research and have a couple of things to ask:

Regarding the carrying handles on the cabs - where are they located? How substantial are they? I can only think they must be on the right hand side of the cab (when stood looking at the front grille), hope that makes sense? Tired! I'm mildly concerned if that's the case as I find carrying cabs easier with two handles and the load in front of me, rather than carrying using one hand. IYKWIM.

Also, if I buy new I may need to buy one cab one month and the other the following month (cashflow :( ), so which cab should I buy first? The 112 or 112NT? I do like the tweeter on my BF Super 12T - which is odd as I have Mark Bass 151P & 102P cabs and I really don't like the tweeter on those cabs? Prior to those I had 2 Trace Elliot 4x10's (the reason for the now knackered back!) with tweeters that I always turned off too? I'm thinking if I buy the DB112 and don't like the tweeter I can always turn it off? Thoughts?

As always, your feedback is appreciated!

Cheers,
Pete

You're spot on with where the handle is, and there's no need to worry, they are super study. Only one though, although you could fit another if you really wanted to take a drill to your new cab! I carry mine two handed anyway, being bit of a racing snake myself. The cabs are small enough to easily get another hand round.

Up to you with regards to the tweeter, doesn't sound like you've got that long a wait. Personally I'd have the tweeter one first only so I could have it should I require. Mine's hardly dialled in at all, but you might want a more top end tone. Very jealous with regards to the DB750 in your possession. My number 1 source of GAS!

Thanks for the feedback, don't really fancy taking the drill to the cab, although I had considered it - I'm most likely going to buy the Aggie covers as well so that would scupper the idea of an additional handle. I'm sure I could manage them two handed if I tried. :)

Our gigs often last well in excess of 3 1/2 hours (our longest being just under 4 1/4 hours!!) so at the end of the night you could say I often feel a tad jaded :mellow:

Regarding the tweeter, I reckon the DB750's EQ suits having the tweeter engaged (to my ears anyhow) - I also tend to use the bright switch engaged all the time.So I would think the DB112 would be the sensible option - or perhaps even a pair of them?

If you have back problems then in my opinion you are looking at the wrong gear; very good and great sounding gear, but wrong because it is very heavy gear.

But I guess if you think that the weight of that amp is doable then the cabs will be OK.

Get a good trolley.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389745013' post='2337583']
If you have back problems then in my opinion you are looking at the wrong gear; very good and great sounding gear, but wrong because it is very heavy gear.

But I guess if you think that the weight of that amp is doable then the cabs will be OK.

Get a good trolley.
[/quote]

+1 If you can hump the DB750 about, carrying a DB112 is about the same.

I owned a pair of DB112's (one with tweeter, one sans) and I'd carry them short distances one in each hand BUT not too far as they are weighty as a pair. I always took two everywhere (gig and rehearsal), hence elected to buy a Berg AE212 which isn't much heavier than a single DB112 but narrower with a pair of handles... result. As a general rule, if it was mare than a few yards, I'd pick the DB112 up with the handle and then cradled it with both arms to carry, it's also not easiest to carry by the handle when going through doorways. Still miss the tone of the Aggies though and would have a pair back tomorrow.

No fear with the handle strength though, they are well constructed/fitted and shouldn't cause any concerns.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389745013' post='2337583']

Get a good trolley.
[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from but the sound of them is really well matched to the amp and blew me away tbh. My back is a tad buggered but, touch wood, I haven't really had any problem with it for around 18 months - I'm just [b]really[/b] careful how I lift now, and my bandmates are really helpful if they can see I'm struggling/a bit stiff after a marathon gig.

I can handle the amp in it's Gator Case no worries so reckon I [b]should[/b] be okay with the cabs - I guess the proof would be to pay a visit to Bass Gear or Bass Direct and see how they feel? I checked out the weight quoted on Aguilar's website and at 45 lbs for the DB112 it's pretty much the same as the head (allegedly!! I reckon the head is way more than 46 Lbs!).

I had thought about a trolley/sack truck for those lengthy load ins.

Cheers for the reply - very helpful :)

I had the GS112 cabs (loved the sound, and the DB's are supposed to be even better) but sold them because of the lift. IMO, one handle isn't enough for a 45lb cab.

The bottom line, that rig will sound very good. Really..... get a good trolley.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1389772140' post='2337637']
+1 If you can hump the DB750 about, carrying a DB112 is about the same.

hence elected to buy a Berg AE212 which isn't much heavier than a single DB112 but narrower with a pair of handles... result.
[/quote]

I've heard a lot of good things about the Berg AE212 - I'm not sure whether I could handle the weight though - perhaps that's another avenue for research?

Cheers,
Pete :)

IMO, the DB112/DB212 cabs 'sound' fantastic, and if I could only have one/two cabs, I would own the DB212 or 2 x DB112.

I would pick them over every single boutique manufacturer. Not only do they sound stunning, they also look fantastic, and are exceptionally well made.

I currently have a DB212 4 ohm and it is the sound I've chased for bass guitar amplification for a long time. It is punchy, warm, clear, and has a great kick in the mids that works in a mix.

I say just get a £20 trolley off Amazon (I got one for housemoves/moving gear) and put the lot on the trolley.

The covers are essential.

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1389787416' post='2337836']
I've heard a lot of good things about the Berg AE212 - I'm not sure whether I could handle the weight though - perhaps that's another avenue for research?

Cheers,
Pete :)
[/quote]

The AE212 is pretty light for a 2x12, and quite slim! It is however less voiced in the mids compared to the DB112. It is quite 'big' down low and 'polite' through the mids.

My DB212 slaughters my 2xAE112's, IMO

Fuller down low for a 5... and smoother in the mids that matter.
I use a thin-ish sound and I need the top strings to bite thru...and the DB212 does this better
than the Bergs....

The Bergs stay because of the weight and they aren't bad cabs

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Wow![/b] Played my first gig last night with a pair of DB112's I acquired in a trade - absolutely amazing, I'm really pleased with them. I was initially a tad concerned by their stage presence (or lack thereof) and whether I'd be able to hear myself on stage, but as soon as we soundchecked I knew I was going to be very happy with them. Huge amount of low end thump and mids/highs were nice and clear/tight - all the boys in the band were hugely complimentary of my new acquistion and a couple of mates who play in another band were suitably impressed. The nice thing about the amp & cabs IMO is that everything can be heard clearly without the need for excessive volume - although the band do like my sound to be quite loud/high in the general mix.

I did have a concern about the weight before hand but having now got them, they're not too heavy and certainly noticeably lighter than the head.

One particular bass aside that's currently in the for sale section - I think I may be GAS free for the considerable future!

Now do I keep the Barefaced Super 12T & the Mark Bass F1 for smaller gigs/those gigs with awkward & lengthy load-ins, or do I move them on? Hmmm.

Cheers for all the feedback guys - appreciated!

Edited by Thor

I was going to say the amp weight is probably half as much again than the cabs... so the amp is the issue as that is a lob-sided lift IMO
but have that covered.

I'd trade my AE112's for DB112's like a shot..no doubt about it.

If you get your head around the weight of DB's...and it sounds like you have, then there seems not much point keeping the
other stuff. The only reason I keep my Berg rig is because of the weight and carry on certain gigs, but I am always a
little let down when I have to gig with them...seeing as I know I have left the A rig at home.