Why become a member? ×

Kala UBASS Rumbler... wow!

SlapbassSteve

I took delivery of one today after getting a bit miffed at the lack of preamp and the feel of the Thunderguts on my standard ubass, and was instantly bowled over- for the bottom of the range model it beats the hell out of my other one! Preamp is cheap but sounds great, the (laminate) mahogany is beautiful, the neck has a truss rod and the Aquila Rumbler strings feel right and don't have the inconsistent friction of the Thunderguts. I absolutely love it and for what I paid I can't see why anyone would buy a more expensive model... might email Kala asking for an endorsement deal of some kind... :ph34r: B)

Anyone else got one of these? What do you think?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389179031' post='2330860']
Intrigued at the notion of using 2 x CR2032 batteries.

Wonder how long they'll last?
[/quote]

I'll be interested to see, three of the ukulele players in my group use the same number and type of battery... I know it can't be just down to size but I imagine this will absolutely eat the things?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389183199' post='2330942']
Just checked out your Ukebox FB page, love the video!

[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=600082520057011&set=vb.482024005196197&type=2&theater"]https://www.facebook...&type=2[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks! Hopefully plenty more coming soon B)

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1389198128' post='2331226']
I'm surprised at the truss rod TBH. Are the Rumblers so much higher tension than strings like the Ashbory's rubber band silicone strings that it's actually justified?
[/quote]

I wasn't sure but it strikes me as 'future proofing' if nothing else, perhaps they're anticipating some higher tension strings coming on the market soon, an upgrade to the Pyramid steel coated ones on the market at the moment perhaps?

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1389198867' post='2331243']
Loved that video!
[/quote]

Thanks! :D

I've got a standard UBass, and the only thing that puts me off playing it more is the Pahoehoe strings, but I wasn't convinced enough about the Thunderguts to sport £25 on a set.

They've got the Rumbler strings on Southern Ukelele, sounds like a set of those would be a good investment.

• 1 year later...

...hi all, 2 weeks ago I bought a used Rumbler online which I like (I 'spose I would as its my first bass)
I now need an amp which I've been researching online...I think a small AC/DC one would be nice so I didn't have to look for a hot point when my uke group visits oldfolks homes etc
Have just spotted the Blackstar Fly 3...wondering if anyone has tried one of these with a bass guitar or UBass?
...by the way Steve, Ukebox has a new subscriber on youtube...regards Barry

Hi Barry.
I use a Roland Micro Cube as a portable, battery-powered combo for my ubass.
Lots of useful features such as built-in tuner, drum machine and various effects.
Well worth a look and someone had one for sale on this site.
Len