Why become a member? ×

Aguilar amps

bassjamm

[b]SORRY JUST REALISED I PUT THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM[/b]

Hi Chaps,

I'm thinking about swapping my SVT out for something a bit lighter, but it'd still like a warm sound, probably still tubey!

Have any of you got experience with the Aguilar AG500, is that a warm sounding amp? What about their discontinued DB359?

I'm interested in both of the above, and if the AG500 is warm, and i'd probably prefer it!

Any thoughts and what not would be great thanks!

Jamie

Edited by bassjamm

I had one briefly, I found the EQ section to be very limited, there was a review in Bassplayer magazine a year or so ago, it was a good and very accurate review.

It's certainly a warm sounding amp, and has a distinctive sound to it, that you have to like because you can't change it owing to the limited EQ section.

I haven't used a 359 but I believe they weigh about 50lbs (not really a lightweight alternative to an SVT!) My real experience with Aguilars extends only to the 750 (43lbs!) I find it very articulate and present - there is a great deal of warmth but I've never had an SVT type sound out of it (not a bad thing for me as I'm not a big fan of SVTs.) I've heard a few people say that the 750 is nothing like an Ampeg - I agree. The 750 simply doesn't seem to break up even when driven very hard. I've been very pleased - for me (and others) the DB750 simply the most pleasing and easy to use plug'n'play amp around. It sounds great with the eq just flat.

Edited by lozbass

I've used a 750, quite liked it! But it's not an option really!

As for the 359's weight, it is a light weight solutio, my SVT in it's housing is about 6 1/2st, the 359 is the same weight as my cab which i can manage! I'm not after feather weight, just a more managable solution!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='230352' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:33 AM']Simplicity is key here my friend!!! I used to own a Thunderfunk, enough knobs to twiddle to give you RSI...i got confused! I guess i have to like the tone then as it is, as shaping it isn't going to make drastic changes![/quote]

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='230377' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:53 AM']Who are your favourite players, or putting the question a different way, what's your ideal sound ?.

I agree about too many knobs, I like to just plug in and play, that's what's put me off Thunderfunks and Eden amps etc.[/quote]

You can leave tone controls alone you know :)

I realise that some people can be habitual twiddlers but if an amp has a decent core tone when it is flat then you shouldn't need to deviate too far from that! If it hasn't got a decent flat tone... why would you want it?

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='230377' date='Jul 1 2008, 10:53 AM']Who are your favourite players, or putting the question a different way, what's your ideal sound ?.

I agree about too many knobs, I like to just plug in and play, that's what's put me off Thunderfunks and Eden amps etc.[/quote]

My ideal sound is exactly what i have, but in lighter package. I can't fault the SVT's sound one bit. But i won't get it in a lighter package, it won't be the same...and i'd get frustrated that it's there, but not quite.

Favourite players, yeah i love Garrison, Janek, Tal Wilkenfeld and all of them, but i'm not doing those kind of gigs, so Paul Turner (aguilar), Me'shell Ndegeocello (ampeg), Pino (ampeg), etc.

As i've said elsewhere...this change is not one of choice, it's for health reasons :)

[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm"]http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm[/url]

How about this, and a nice light poweramp.

Paul Turner has a fantastic sound, a band I played in during the early 90's used to support a band that he played for, he was a fantastic player.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='230391' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:15 AM'][url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm"]http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_tonehammer.htm[/url]

How about this, and a nice light poweramp.

Paul Turner has a fantastic sound, a band I played in during the early 90's used to support a band that he played for, he was a fantastic player.[/quote]

That's light weight for sure :) I'm thinking more of the amp route...having used the SVP-Pro for a few weeks, the whole pre-amp power amp thing is too much for my head to handle...unless an SVT-IIP came up :huh:

I the Aguilar's that i've heard, nice and punchy, but i've not really heard much of them...the 359 i've never heard, but i'd like to give it a whirl if it'd suit me more than the AG500!

Do you DI? Get an all-valve “A”class DI box; it’s like the cleanest boutique valve amp ever, with power headroom only limited by the PA. Mine weighs less than a bag of sugar, fits in the bass case, and has no knobs to twiddle at all.

Thought I'd chime in here, this is why I walk funny, talk about back ache! I love this rig, but I also have an AG500 which is about 10x lighter (the AG500 is great as well). The thing I like about all Aggie gear is that it respond so well to different hand positions/dynamics.

Thanks Dood...you're beautiful!!!

Kevin - A trip is most certainly on the cards, i need some bass love!!! Going to review my situation and see what's what! Might have to hook up with you Lee to give the AG500 a pop...sounds tasty!!!

Shaggy - Nice idea, i do need some controls to twiddle though, lol! I d.i some times, no exclusively though :wacko: Thanks for the idea though...maybe a sweet d.i. and a power amp :brow:

The Epi is fantastic, you need to get down to the Gallery and try some stuff out, they usually have a good selection of gear there, I know they had some Aguilar heads in a couple of weeks ago, and another 902.

I think the Epi stuff will be whatever you want it to be, modern or old school, it's very versatile, that's the beauty of it.

The 502 is all you'd really need, my 902 is just me being greedy, and impatient cos they didn't have a 502 in stock at the time.

The difference is the 902 has two 900 watt power amps, the 502 just has one, so the 902 will power two 4 ohm cabs or four 8 ohm cabs etc.

I was close to buying that ul212 on ebay, I could have my 4x10 on one channel, and the 212 on the other, total overkill really, I only play jazz/funk.

I agree entirely with 6stringbassist - the Epi is incredibly versatile. It's not like any non-valve amp I've used - there's an inherent warmth (not dirt or grit) that I've experienced with only a very few amps, all of them valve-based. Epi is real quality gear - there's a premium price tag but I think the tone is really worth it. I forget about the cost when I hear the amp - the Epi is lovely and extremely versatile. The eq (and channel selection) is a bit more complicated than the Ampeg, however, the tone controls are sensitive but really useable. Also, the straight sound (eq flat) is just gorgeous - really solid, articulate and lush. A trip to the Gallery is certainly in order! I have a ul502 (thanks Kevin!) - it's about 16lbs - a back saver (quite a consideration for me!)