Why become a member? ×

Lettuce at Ronnie Scott's

BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1388849492' post='2326826']
Why why why did they choose this venue ?

I mean I'd love to see Lettuce, but sitting down at a cute little table with a lamp on it and being served drinks by a waiter is not really the right environment for that kind of band is it ?
[/quote]
I'd say it was the ideal place to see them for the type of music they play.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388851070' post='2326854']
I'd say it was the ideal place to see them for the type of music they play.
[/quote]

Really ? Really really ? I much sooner see them at say Koko where I've got room to move a bit. Why would you anyone want to sit down for what's essentially dance music ?

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1388853520' post='2326898']
Really ? Really really ? I much sooner see them at say Koko where I've got room to move a bit. Why would you anyone want to sit down for what's essentially dance music ?
[/quote]
Yes, it's pretty smooth funk. It's hardly the 'get down and dirty' type of funk is it?

They're nearer the Brecker Brothers than Funkadelic in the funktionary. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388853744' post='2326902']
They're nearer the Brecker Brothers than Funkadelic in the funktionary. :)
[/quote]

Now you're just trying to wind me up :) (the proximity to Brecker Bros allegation more than the distance from Funkadelic)

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1388857879' post='2326995']
i'm one of the engineers on the gig at ronnies with some bands they take out the tables in the centre of the club and convert that area into a dance floor they did this with average white band and reel people last year i would imagine this is the plan for them too
[/quote]

That sounds more promising ...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388857819' post='2326992']
I'm not honestly but surely it's nice and pleasant funk for people in suits or at least those who dress 'smart casual'. :)
[/quote]

You're definitely trying to wind me up.

I don't think you've listened to them recently ... and I see no suits in this this audience (or any other I've seen on youtube)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dBJ5NyI-4w[/media]

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1388858306' post='2327003']
are you coming down? worth checking out the support act bassment project who do a monthly night upstairs
[/quote]

Yeah, I hadn't heard of them till looking up this gig ... they're less up my street than Lettuce, but I'll be checking them out.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1388857879' post='2326995']
i'm one of the engineers on the gig at ronnies with some bands they take out the tables in the centre of the club and convert that area into a dance floor they did this with average white band and reel people last year i would imagine this is the plan for them too
[/quote]
Blimey, haven't times changed. I'm showing my age now but remember when the AWB could only get a gig 'Upstairs at Ronnie's'.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1388858326' post='2327004']
You're definitely trying to wind me up.

I don't think you've listened to them recently ... and I see no suits in this this audience (or any other I've seen on youtube)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dBJ5NyI-4w[/media]
[/quote]
It's very nice and they are brilliant musicians but i prefer my funk with a few more rough edges that's all.

I still think that it's perfect music to sit down in a jazz club to and actually the Brecker Brothers were far more funkier.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388861777' post='2327082']
I still think that it's perfect music to sit down in a jazz club to and actually the Brecker Brothers were far more funkier.
[/quote]

I don't know how you couldn't want to move around in response to that.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388861777' post='2327082']
It's very nice and they are brilliant musicians but i prefer my funk with a few more rough edges that's all.
[/quote]

I'm wondering if you and I have a different definition of funk. I'm really interested you hear what you think of as funk with rough edges.

This is what I think of when someone mentions brecker brothers, this kind smooth jazz has me reaching for 'skip track' after just a few seconds, just really not my thing at all. Fine for somebody else, just not me. That's why objected to the comparison of Lettuce and Brecker Brothers.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEygE7-yt8o[/media]

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1388863776' post='2327127']
I'm really interested you hear what you think of as funk with rough edges.
[/quote]
To me Lettuce are the type of band that would appear on the David Letterman as a a funk band. They are slick, polished and superb musicians. That brings me round to the Brecker Brothers as Paul Schaffer who heads the Letterman house band was a member of the Brecker Brothers in the 70s when they played a style of jazz funk that was loved and loathed in equal amounts.

The example of the Brecker Brothers you gave was, i thought really good. Both brothers were fantastic musicians who got better with age. This clip was after they had shaken off the shackles of their early funk years and were finally accepted as serious jazz musicians.

Going back to my original point. I still think that sitting at a table with the lights down low, having a drink and a meal is the ideal way to listen to Lettuce. That doesn't mean to say that i don't like them but that it's easy listening music. No problem with that as Burt Bacharach's being doing that for years and he's great.

Here's the Breckers when they were both loved and loathed......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjl6XIlvfn0

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388867553' post='2327210']
Going back to my original point. I still think that sitting at a table with the lights down low, having a drink and a meal is the ideal way to listen to Lettuce. [/quote]

I guess that's what it comes down to. Your response to Lettuce's music is to want to sit down in a nice jazz club. My response (and that of the band and the audience in the video I posted) is to want get up and shake my bits.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1388868399' post='2327229']
I guess that's what it comes down to. Your response to Lettuce's music is to want to sit down in a nice jazz club. My response (and that of the band and the audience in the video I posted) is to want get up and shake my bits.
[/quote]
I still reckon you could have a dance around at Ronnie's even if they didn't remove the tables. Just stand at the back with the waiters!

Seriously though i do see your point. Ronnie's isn't the cheapest place in town so i'd dance on the tables if i wanted too for those prices. :lol:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388871216' post='2327275']
I still reckon you could have a dance around at Ronnie's even if they didn't remove the tables. Just stand at the back with the waiters!

Seriously though i do see your point. Ronnie's isn't the cheapest place in town so i'd dance on the tables if i wanted too for those prices. :lol:
[/quote]

I did a gig with Rebirth Brass band at ronnies last year and not only did they have the entire club dancing along (including myself and all of the staff) they had 3 separate stage invasions great vibe and not the sit down with a waiter serving you vibe which happens on some gigs

Edit: this was without any of the seats removed

Edited by Chrismanbass

• 2 weeks later...