Why become a member? ×

Converting from US to UK power stuff

bassjamm

USA mains voltage is 110V whereas UK voltage is 240V (or thereabouts !)

If the equipment is mains powered (as opposed to wall-wart powered) then you'll need to convert the voltage - a simple plug converter will not work.

Some equipment will have a mains voltage selector on the back. If it does then there is no problem, simply select the corect voltage and it will work.

If there is no voltage selector you will need a mains voltage transformer. This will need to supply enough current to power the equipment so it's not likely to be a small wall-wart. This adds to the overall cost and can be a bit awkward to use.

Do your homework first - check the equipment to see if it has a voltage selector. If not, find out the power rating and pricve a suitable 240 to 110 V transformer.

If the equipment is powered via a DC wall-wart (e.g. like some multi-FX) then all you need is a 240V wall-wart than proved the same DC voltage and current.

Hmmm righto...so assuming it doesn't have that handy little switch on the back like most modern things...it'd be easier to get a power covertor thingy rather than have the voltage components changed around?

How much should i expect to pay for a mains voltage convertor then please? I'll have a shop around, but i'm new to this stuff, so what might look like a good price to me, may well be expensive to a seasoned shopper in these matters!

Thanks though guys!

J

Right...just had a look at what we're talking about!!!

If i needed a transformer, what wattage allowance would i need? Would i be correct in thinking the following? -

Using my SVT-II as an example, it's a 300 watt amp. So lets say it was from the US running at the 110 Volts they use, and i want to use it here in the UK...would i need a 300 watt transformer, or would be ok with just any transformer that converted the 240 volt power form the plug into a 110 volt source for the amp? Or...would i need something that can take a lot more than the 300 watts?

Thanks
J

[quote name='bassjamm' post='230160' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:06 PM']Right...just had a look at what we're talking about!!!

If i needed a transformer, what wattage allowance would i need? Would i be correct in thinking the following? -

Using my SVT-II as an example, it's a 300 watt amp. So lets say it was from the US running at the 110 Volts they use, and i want to use it here in the UK...would i need a 300 watt transformer, or would be ok with just any transformer that converted the 240 volt power form the plug into a 110 volt source for the amp? Or...would i need something that can take a lot more than the 300 watts?

Thanks
J[/quote]

Your SVT is 300-watts output of audio signal.

It will also output some heat as amplifiers are not 100% efficient.

The input power is therefore greater than the quoted output power

The manual says the consumption is 460VA which is near enough an output of 500-watts.

So input power required is 500-watts. This is the same whether running on 110-volts or 240-volts.

Power = volts x amps.

In the eample of the SVT you should be looking for a 240-volt to 110-volt step-down transformer with 500-watt capacity.

I hope I haven't confused you.

[quote name='Toasted' post='230182' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:23 PM']Jamie, email aguilar tech support: [email protected] - there might be connections that you can change inside the unit. I know there is on the DB750.[/quote]

Already on it my friend :)

[quote name='obbm' post='230189' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:29 PM']Your SVT is 300-watts output of audio signal.

It will also output some heat as amplifiers are not 100% efficient.

The input power is therefore greater than the quoted output power

The manual says the consumption is 460VA which is near enough an output of 500-watts.

So input power required is 500-watts. This is the same whether running on 110-volts or 240-volts.

Power = volts x amps.

In the eample of the SVT you should be looking for a 240-volt to 110-volt step-down transformer with 500-watt capacity.

I hope I haven't confused you.[/quote]

Beautifully put kind sir :blush:

I think most amps are designed with both the European and US markets in mind, it makes it easier to manufacture.

If there isn't a switch on the back then you can usually just swap a couple of leads around inside, I know this is the case with the Alembic preamps, and also Ashdown on their stuff sold in the US.

A lot of gear Epifani, Aguilar, Demeter etc has the switchable voltage though.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Talking about voltage is one thing but remember US frequency is 60 HZ and UK is 50 HZ.

Transformers will not change the frequency. I've worked with this stuff (50/60Hz) for 30 years and I don't recommend using gear designed for 60Hz on a 50 HZ supply. I won't go into the technicalities here but I can tell you that working life is likely to be shortened if the supply frequency isn't changed to suit the equipment.

Some gear is rated 50/60HZ. If this is the case then you're OK.

Frank

I bought an Ampeg head from the states, no switch I can see so I popped to Maplins and payed £25 or so to get a transformer. It's small, bit of a nightmare if you forget it but is far more straight forward than trying to get someone to change the amp's transformer it's self.

now that people are bringing it up though I think I'll contact Ampeg's tech support to see If I can change some switches round to save using the wee li'l' Maplins box.......

[quote name='bassjamm' post='233005' date='Jul 5 2008, 03:15 AM']Hi guys,

Just another quick question if i may please.

If an amp has a one of the switches to convert it as we were talking about, but it converts it to 230 volts, not the 240 that we work on, would that be ok/safe?

Thanks
Jamie[/quote]

Settings for 220-volts, 230-volts or 240-volts are all OK.