Why become a member? ×

Amp pre/post EQ Output Function

The Walloper

To those who have this function on their amp.

What is your preferred setup here; pre or post eq output to PA?

Pondering on what setup to settle for. I like my stage tone to have a lot of highs and unsure how this is out the front. I have ran both but can't really decide on what is the best option (can't get out the front either B) ). Would you run it pre and adjust mixer eq as required or post and run the mixer relatively flat? Currently gigging with an Aguilar TH500 with a GS212.

Just looking for some thoughts and experiences.

With two options, there are two schools of thought. Some prefer giving the soundman a pre-eq signal so he can do what he(or she) needs for the venue to get a good sound out front.

On the other hand, the PA is just an extension of my sound, so they get post everything, and they can feel free to adjust their level to suit.

Everyone's Mileage Does Vary Though

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1388689786' post='2324924']
i normally run post so the sound man gets my sound to work with

andy
[/quote]

Same here. I also do it from my Zoom B3 pedal rather than my amp, so I can adjust on-stage volume without messing up FOH - though my amp does have a volume control for the DI out as well.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1388694305' post='2325031']
Most DI outs, even post-eq, will be pre-master so you should be able to adjust stage volume without affecting the DI feed to the FOH. One exception would be the LB30 which takes its DI from a tap off the output transformer.

[/quote]

[quote]

PRE/POST: This will place the DI signal either pre or post EQ.
• Pre: Your signal goes to the DI XLR output before your GAIN, AGS and EQ
settings. Leave the switch out for this function.
• Post: GAIN, AGS, EQ and MASTER settings will be sent to the DI XLR output jack.
Push the switch in for this function.

[/quote]

Looks as though there is no option here according to the TH500 manual. Post eq; Gain and master sent to DI output meaning that it will affect the front.

Edited by The Walloper

[quote name='The Walloper' timestamp='1388695257' post='2325057']
Looks as though there is no option here according to the TH500 manual. Post eq; Gain and master sent to DI output meaning that it will affect the front.
[/quote]

Oh dear, that's a design fail in my book. Why post-master? It is unnecessary and limiting in the real world. Shame really, because the TH500 is a highly regarded amp sound wise.

EDIT: I see the pre setting is also pre gain - which is also bonkers. IMO, of course. ;) And Everyone's Mileage Does Vary etc.

Edited by RandomBass

I like to hear what the soundman is going to do with it.....
and since I have soundchecked my backline then if he is listening
and has an educated ear, he should know what I am going for.
If he wants to give me his version of bass, then I need to buy into that.

I don't assume soundmen have any idea at all, tbh. I would hope they have
but often they proove they haven't.

A good way to sort this if to practice miking up your kit...and then once you are confident
you know it can sound good... listen to the soundman on your gig for how he does it... or not :lol; :lol:

Sigh..
Sort of like,if you think all mechanics are crap, but you know sod all about fixing cars.
Just you know, practice taking your car door off at home,and then when the mechanic you use ,fixes it,criticise him and tell him you know better coz you practised at home with a19 mm socket for a bit and he's using a spanner.
And a bloke on a forum said.....
Come on Jt ffs,you don't know better than every sound engineer simply because you don't get the sound you think you want.
Maybe you piss every engineer off by telling them how to do sound and they make you sound crap to piss you off too.

Post EQ simply gives the engineer NO choice when mixing you bass tone into a mix you have no chance of hearing and means you'll probably sound sh*te.
IMO blah blah.

Edited by Monckyman

Surely if you go post-EQ the sound engineer can still adjust bass/mid/treble not just the volume, so I don't see the point. That's why I go pre-EQ and give the sound engineer a "flat" feed to get the sound for the Front Of House. Sometimes nice to have a wee chat and tell them the sort of sound I hope the audience will hear from the bass as well.

By using pre, the sound engineer can't replicate any effects that you might have in the effects loop (assuming 'post' is post effects loop). So although you might hear your effects on stage through your own amp/cab monitoring, they won't out front. Obviously if you are using effects very early on on the signal chain then this is moot.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1388845552' post='2326768']
By using pre, the sound engineer can't replicate any effects that you might have in the effects loop (assuming 'post' is post effects loop). So although you might hear your effects on stage through your own amp/cab monitoring, they won't out front. Obviously if you are using effects very early on on the signal chain then this is moot.
[/quote]

I was thinking about this too. If I use the AGS drive on my TH500, using pre I'd have it the drive tone on stage, but out front it would be clean.

As I use the boost function on my amp quite liberally, to give some valvey grit, I go post eq otherwise you don't get any of that sound FOH. Regards overall eq, I have a general sort of sound but would work with a sound engineer re. eq to get a good overall sound for the band. Afterall, all rooms are different so you have to be flexible anyway.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1388801580' post='2326342']
Sigh..
Sort of like,if you think all mechanics are crap, but you know sod all about fixing cars.
Just you know, practice taking your car door off at home,and then when the mechanic you use ,fixes it,criticise him and tell him you know better coz you practised at home with a19 mm socket for a bit and he's using a spanner.
And a bloke on a forum said.....
Come on Jt ffs,you don't know better than every sound engineer simply because you don't get the sound you think you want.
Maybe you piss every engineer off by telling them how to do sound and they make you sound crap to piss you off too.

[/quote]

If we find a good one, we'll keep his number.
If the P.A is hired in, you get what you get.
Sometimes you don't have much control about what kit is actually hired...we can only advise ...
and sometimes that venue will hire in an engr and the first time he actually sees the kit is on the day.

No one sets out to piss off the sound, but you soon know if there is anything about them.
Since it is our repuation at the gig.... then we will want to try and control as much as we can..
and that includes P.A spec and engr.
The gigs that don't facilitate this are the gigs that you tend to drop...

You know how to over-egg what I said...