Why become a member? ×

Squier Bass VI

BetaFunk

I think the Shergold Marathon 6 is a much more viable option as a bass 6 - the string spacing is far more comfortable and 'bass-like'. I have had Squier, Fender MIJ and Pawnshop versions of the Bass VI and have found them great sounding instruments but uncomfortable to play on account of the string spacing. I have used my Shergold live and not had any problems getting tangled up in the strings like I did with the Fender VI so I sold mine on.

I would expect some to turn up - I have been looking for ages for one and finally ordered one on saturday, if I had seen either of those I would have gone for them, even if it isn't the colour I would have liked, especially as the one on ebay is a short drive for me.

Still, not that concerned, mine turns up on tuesday and I am looking forward to it.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1388343965' post='2321037']
I think the Shergold Marathon 6 is a much more viable option as a bass 6 - the string spacing is far more comfortable and 'bass-like'. I have had Squier, Fender MIJ and Pawnshop versions of the Bass VI and have found them great sounding instruments but uncomfortable to play on account of the string spacing. I have used my Shergold live and not had any problems getting tangled up in the strings like I did with the Fender VI so I sold mine on.
[/quote]
I'm a great fan of all Shergolds and the Marathon 6 is no exception but they are silly money now for most punters now they have become 'fashionable'. Even in the early 90s you'd be lucky to get £175 for one if you were selling one but now as you know as well as me it's name your price.

I blame Hooky and New Order. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388347444' post='2321103']

I'm a great fan of all Shergolds and the Marathon 6 is no exception but they are silly money now for most punters now they have become 'fashionable'. Even in the early 90s you'd be lucky to get £175 for one if you were selling one but now as you know as well as me it's name your price.

I blame Hooky and New Order. :)
[/quote]

Yep you are right - mine wasn't cheap and I had to get a NOS fretted neck for it too! I'm now lucky enough to have the parts to renovate a second one. I actually have three spare Marathon 6 string bass necks to work with; one fretless (my original), one NOS oil finished and one NOS just sealed and sanded. I think these were the last available. I love the sound of chords on the Marathon 6 - and the Fender VI for that matter, great through a Copicat echo. :)

Edited by ash

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1388349500' post='2321140']
Yep you are right - mine wasn't cheap and I had to get a NOS fretted neck for it too! I'm now lucky enough to have the parts to renovate a second one. I actually have three spare Marathon 6 string bass necks to work with; one fretless (my original), one NOS oil finished and one NOS just sealed and sanded. I think these were the last available. I love the sound of chords on the Marathon 6 - and the Fender VI for that matter, great through a Copicat echo. :)
[/quote]
In the shop where i bought my 1974 Fender Jazz Bass around 1990 they had a white Marathon 6 standing next to it in the shop. It was £185 and it stayed there for months and months. Nobody wanted it. How times and of course fashion has changed. Of course there was a time when nobody wanted that 1974 Jazz and that's why it has been a bit of a bargain and yes i still have it!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1388349500' post='2321140']

[/quote]

A fretless 6?! Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! I salute you sir! Can't even imagine trying to play that. Any sound clips? Bet it sounds fantastic!

When I had a Marathon 6, I seriously considered de-fretting it, or re-laying the fingerboard, and moving the bridge back to the normal Marathon position, to give a full-scale 6-stringer, which were still exotic at the time. (Which also meant suitable strings were next to impossible to get, once Picato ran out of the specials). Plus, it would have allowed a low B - as a very low bassist, I never really found a use for the high F (I tuned it fully in 4ths, and not like a guitar).

Well, the one on eBay went for more than the general selling price of 273 (which is how much mine was), and even more when most people do free delivery for that, and that had £20 delivery, so they paid £295 altogether. As I sit playing mine now, I don't actually think that is a bad price!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1388522844' post='2323151']
Well, the one on eBay went for more than the general selling price of 273 (which is how much mine was), and even more when most people do free delivery for that, and that had £20 delivery, so they paid £295 altogether. As I sit playing mine now, I don't actually think that is a bad price!
[/quote]

These were easily available to order when first released but as soon as they became trendy everyone wants one. It just goes to show that fashion rules in the guitar and bass world as much as everywhere else.

I don't know, I only heard about them a few months ago, by which time they were already a bit hard to get. I had wanted one of the fenders years ago having tried one but not at the price they were at the time.

I didn't really get it to be fashionable, if that was the case I would have got a P bass!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388535239' post='2323261']
Fashionable?

You don't wear loon pants and penny collared shirts by any chance do you?
[/quote]

You don't get more fashionable than a P Bass. There are loads of basses just as functional, but nowhere near as fashionable, most people wouldn't look at them. Sometimes I think bassists are even worse than guitarists in that regard.

I assume the clown comment is your version of disagreeing then? Very clever. I see what you did there. You disagree with me, you must be a clown :D

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1388536270' post='2323272']
I assume the clown comment is your version of disagreeing then? Very clever. I see what you did there. You disagree with me, you must be a clown :D
[/quote]
There was no reference to clowns. Not sure why you thought that but i certainly meant no offence, it was just that when the P Bass was fashionable so were Loon Pants and Penny Collared shirts.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388580408' post='2323552']
There was no reference to clowns. Not sure why you thought that but i certainly meant no offence, it was just that when the P Bass was fashionable so were Loon Pants and Penny Collared shirts.
[/quote]

My mistake then, I have no idea what loon pants are, apologies for overreacting!

But I still feel the P bass is a very fashionable bass (maybe not so much as the Jazz), there are many basses than can do the same thing that are a fraction of the price, but it still sells loads. Last time I had the opportunity to play an American P bass, I also had an opportunity to play a vintage P bass through the same amp. TBH, in a blind test I don't believe that I would have been able to tell the difference in sound and although they felt a little different, nether felt better than the other, they were just a little different.
But there was a grand difference in price. So why buy the fender over the vintage if not fashion?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1388581808' post='2323577']
My mistake then, I have no idea what loon pants are, apologies for overreacting!

But I still feel the P bass is a very fashionable bass (maybe not so much as the Jazz), there are many basses than can do the same thing that are a fraction of the price, but it still sells loads. Last time I had the opportunity to play an American P bass, I also had an opportunity to play a vintage P bass through the same amp. TBH, in a blind test I don't believe that I would have been able to tell the difference in sound and although they felt a little different, nether felt better than the other, they were just a little different.
But there was a grand difference in price. So why buy the fender over the vintage if not fashion?
[/quote]
No worries i should have explained what i meant. I think that it's probably an age thing. I'm old so i remember when something was new but tend to forget that younger people may not. What they think is retro i sometimes think is still in fashion!
I suppost that the P Bass has never gone out of fashion unlike all of the pointy BC Rich, Washburn and Jackson basses of the 80s. I'm really pleased that the Bass VI is making a comeback especially at a reasonable price as it means that younger players will get their hands on it an produce some creative music and that's a really good thing. I hope you enjoy your Bass VI whatever you play on it.

Edited by BetaFunk