Why become a member? ×

never been gigged... and?

Ou7shined

When buying 2nd had gear you often see the phrase "never been gigged" as a testament to it's great condition. All well and good but this implies that when we're on stage our primeval monster kicks in and we do a Hendrix and set fire to it. From what I've seen in these day of health and safety this happens less often. :) I can see a case for cabs as they're always getting bumped into doorways, stairwells, back of the van etc. while on the way to gigs, and the other night a most apologetic drummer from a support band put his pint on my 4x10 leaving a ring which wiped off easily enough but my point is why should guitars, amps, pedals etc be at any extra risk when on stage than being at home/studio.

Personally speaking, with a 2 1/2 year old daughter running about at home my stuff is under greater threat of damage than on any stage. :huh: Thankfully she's pretty well trained.

I've a Tele Deluxe copy at home. It too (to my knowledge) has "never been gigged".
However it was my very 1st electric guitar which I bought second hand over 25 years ago and is totally minced.

I think it is a pointless and potentially misleading expression.

i personally would feel more comfortable buying a bass second hand... any instrument infact second hand...

knowing it had been gigged because i would know well if it's still in shape enough to be sold after gigging then i know it's pretty solid and it aint gonna fall to bits on me on stage...

just my 2 pence...

Its just a meaningless cliched shorthand phrase like "one lady driver"

Guitars that aren't gigged are sometimes far more likely to sustain damage at home if the owner does not keep it in a case or on a proper stand/hanger, and a home-only player is less likely to have a case if they never take it out of the house.

An actual indication of condition with any faults pointed out is always much more useful. However when I sold my Crate powerblock I gave a full description of its condition (immaculate, as new & fully working, no scratches, dents or other damage) and someone still asked "has it been gigged?" as if that would magically mean that it is suddenly on its last legs.

Well........

If I were to have to choose between 2 , for example , speaker cabs,one which had 'never been gigged' and one which was described as 'I've gigged this cab for 5 years problem free' - and both were visually in similar condition and both working fine - I'd def. go with the former because throwing stuff in and out of cars and vans , pubs and fire escapes in the pissing rain and snow is likley to , over a period of time , loosen connections , let in damp , cause structual problems etc and shorten the future of that cab far more than one which the cat may well have used as a bed and may have been used as a temporary wine table at Xmas etc. but has not experienced the same kind of stresses and abuse.

It's a common enough , maybe cliche'd sellers expression and I see where you're coming from but it is a bit of information I'd like to have at my disposal when making a choice where money is involved.

What harm can the expression do?

Like I say I reckon there's a case for cabs which as we know can get banged about quite easily going to and from gigs.

[quote]What harm can the expression do?[/quote]Harm? I think it could be used to give a false sense of added reliability to an object based on a truthful account of it's usage. It's misleading spin.

BTW do you want to buy a Tele Deluxe copy? It has never let me down and has never been gigged.:)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='229855' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:00 PM']Harm? I think it could be used to give a false sense of added reliability to an object based on a truthful account of it's usage. It's misleading spin.[/quote]

OK let me put it in easier terms.

If anyone's stupid enough to see 'never been gigged' and think that makes any item immaculate they deserve all they get. I'm saying it's an indicator - that's all.

Misleading my arse - if it's the truth.

BTW - Now you've told us all you've managed to 'mince' a tele copy that's been kept in the house - best of luck if you put anything you've gigged in the for sale forums.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='229869' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:23 PM']BTW - Now you've told us all you've managed to 'mince' a tele copy that's been kept in the house - best of luck if you put anything you've gigged in the for sale forums.[/quote]
Ouch dude that's nasty. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='229855' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:00 PM']BTW do you want to buy a Tele Deluxe copy? It has never let me down and has never been gigged.:huh:[/quote]
Is it old JapCrap? Give you £20... :huh: :huh:

The only gig damage any of my basses has ever acquired (yet! Touch wood!!!) is a small circular dent in the front of my ancient (and retired) Aria RSB Deluxe, where I dropped a lead, pointy-end first, onto it, while it was lying in its open case. That would have been in 1985...

Conversely, I have a beautiful, ungigged Ibanez SR800 fretless, which I bought new in 1992 - which has a large semicircular dent in the front of it - a result of it intercepting a flying babyfood jar, hurled at my head by a psychotic, raging, insane woman-thing who I had earlier made the mistake of marrying.

At least my head would have got better... :)

Jon.

Shame about the condition thing really. I think I've got worse about condition since I joined BC. Mainly cos I now think of the value of the item as much as the use (for potential gas induced trade fodder reasons). I think we all know that if you're pxing at the local shoppe the lovely age induced patina and beer smell we all love becomes minus $$ come trade in (unless it's a particularly sought after antique Fender/Ric/ANO). At the mo I'm careful (but not to obsession) on two of my basses but the gigging bass (2004 Precision) is just that and I expect it to pick up knocks it's almost impossible for it not to.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Bassassin' post='229975' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:53 PM']Is it old JapCrap? Give you £20... :huh: :)[/quote] :huh: :huh:
Indeed sir a Cimar at that...

..but I'll be keeping it (twas my 1st gee-tar) I was just using it as an example of how telling the truth can be misleading. But you knew that. :huh:

I thought i was the only one that thought "never been gigged" was a totally arbitrary statement to make, but obviously not, my basses have undergone more damage at home than anywhere else, other people's homes, school, college, practice, gigs etc, i really don't see the point in saying it, most people look after their stuff wherever it is.

More to the point, damage is damage, whether it's done at a gig or not, I don't care where it's been! if there's damage then show us, if there isn't, then I don't care!

I understand the relevance with cabs and things because yeah they do get bashed about a bit. But basses, they stay in their cases if they're not strapped round your shoulders most of the time.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='230101' date='Jun 30 2008, 09:57 PM']I thought i was the only one that thought "never been gigged" was a totally arbitrary statement to make, but obviously not, my basses have undergone more damage at home than anywhere else, other people's homes, school, college, practice, gigs etc, i really don't see the point in saying it, most people look after their stuff wherever it is.

More to the point, damage is damage, whether it's done at a gig or not, I don't care where it's been! if there's damage then show us, if there isn't, then I don't care!

I understand the relevance with cabs and things because yeah they do get bashed about a bit. But basses, they stay in their cases if they're not strapped round your shoulders most of the time.[/quote]Amen.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='230102' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:00 PM']Hmm a crisp one you say. :brow: Has it ever been gigged? :)[/quote]
Oh yeah, mercilessly. Its like-new crispyness is testament to its stunning build quality, you'd really never know it fell out of the back of the van on the M6 a couple of times. They really don't make 'em like that any more. Luckily it's never had any food product containers lobbed at it. Yet.

J.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='229845' date='Jun 30 2008, 04:41 PM']far more than one which the cat may well have used as a bed and may have been used as a temporary wine table at Xmas etc. but has not experienced the same kind of stresses and abuse.[/quote]

Funny you should say that my cab get slept on by my drummers cat between gigs and boy does he get p*ssed when i take his bed to a gig and i have the scratches to prove it.