Why become a member? ×

Xmas FX

GazWills

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1388006261' post='2317861']
Hope the Diabolik is what you're looking for!
[/quote]

Had a chance for a quick 10 mins today, and i like it! Very different to a muff, it's a spluttery, gated fuzz with a great blend that really meshes with the fuzz. Can't wait to try it properly through the full rig :)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1388502636' post='2322757']
Tried the Diabolik in anger yet?
My Fuzzrocious Dark Driving is in the post! :D

Si
[/quote]

and now the wait begins!!! cool, fingers crossed customs isn't too much of a pain :)

I've still just used the Diabolik at home, but practise this Thursday so I'll try and record a few clips if I get a chance... liking it at low volume though

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1388502636' post='2322757']
Tried the Diabolik in anger yet?
[/quote]

So, I finally got a chance to give the Diabolik a proper run out last night after practice (P-bass, old bassman 135 and a 4x12)… and I can confirm it’s a great pedal J

The blend on it is definitely needed, as the fuzz itself can get pretty messed up, but it’s a good blend, it doesn’t sound like separate fuzz and clean bass signals, which is something I really hate in dirt pedals. With the squeeze control up past 1 o’clock, you can get some great gated sounds, really nasty (in a good way). It would be quite easy to think the pedal is limited as you don’t have any tone control, but you can actually get a pretty wide range of sounds out of it.

I was liking it, but not loving it, until I started using it after my OC-2, and lowering the volume on my bass, and then I loved it. I’ve never used a fuzz on bass where turning down your volume can result in such a change to the sound… it really starts to bring out the upper harmonics and octave, and with the OC-2 set to -2 and -1 with no clean signal, and the volume on the bass down somewhere between a third and half volume, I was getting the best synth tones I’ve ever coaxed out of my rig, almost organ tones.

It’s a fantastic pedal, but for me is going to be a home and studio tool, as the best sounds (IMO) are squeezed out of this thing at lower input volumes. JMJ said it’s not a ‘traditional fuzz, and he’s right, I’ll still be using my tall font Russian for gigs, but this is a cracking pedal, and covers a lot of ground. Totally different beast to a muff J

Prac didn’t end til gone 12 last night so I was too knackered to record any clips but I’ll try and do some next week.

I got myself a Z.Vex Sonar for Xmas!

I was looking for a cool tremolo that could do hard chop andhad tap tempo but wasn't a 1 trick pony.

The Sonar is amazing, the ammount of stuff you can tweak on it makes it quite versatile, and I love the multiplier on the tap tempo.

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1388752418' post='2325549']
I got myself a Z.Vex Sonar for Xmas!

I was looking for a cool tremolo that could do hard chop andhad tap tempo but wasn't a 1 trick pony.

The Sonar is amazing, the ammount of stuff you can tweak on it makes it quite versatile, and I love the multiplier on the tap tempo.
[/quote]

I've heard a few people say that the Sonar is a PN-2 killer :), would like to A/B them. The Idiotbox Mad Dr is also a worthy contender!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1388754256' post='2325589']
I've heard a few people say that the Sonar is a PN-2 killer :), would like to A/B them. The Idiotbox Mad Dr is also a worthy contender!

Si
[/quote]

I think the same. The PN-2 will always be great for hard chop, but the Sonar has so many added features (tap tempo, multiplier, machine, the Delta control...) that it makes it very versatile.

Copilot FX have another tremolo worth checking out, it´s the Polypus and it offers cool tweaking on tap. But I´m not sure if it´s good for hard chopping purposes.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1388762631' post='2325759']
Oooooh - supet fuzz as in univox / Fy-6 superfuzz?? Let us know what it's like if that's the case :)
[/quote]

Nah - TK-421-X (rat kinda with hpf) and grand tarkin (moof) with ability to blast em both and blend. With cyborg ninja artwork (mgs). Hopefully chaos in a pedal!

Took delivery of a new B7K today, missed mine so much I had to order another! Got a nice surprise too, as Doug/Spencer have revised the design a little. Looks very slick, EQ is in the right order and they have added an additional Attack setting so it is now a 3 way switch. [i]very[/i] welcome addition to me as I always felt it was a bit too bright on the old Attack boost setting, the new settings are cool! Can now either have it set flat, boost the lower treble range or boost the presence. Footswitch seems even quieter, if that is possible! Works so well with Intertia :)

Edited by Kev

• 2 weeks later...