Why become a member? ×

Linseed Oil

Colonel36

I'm using raw linseed oil on my fingerboards and I apply it using a kitchen towel rather than drizzling it over the wood, so it's applied sparingly; it flows into pores and fills them so that in time after repeated applications (days or weeks apart) a sheen develops - I tend to use a cloth duster to polish the fingerboard after I've played the instrument. The only downside is that linseed oil has a peculiar smell (though since I don't use much at any one time it isn't an issue for me).

An old gamekeeper once told me how to use linseed oil to treat a newly cut walking stick, using the following regime to sparingly apply the oil:

"once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, then once a month for a year, then once a year for life".

His sticks were always in great condition, though I doubt he knew much about basses ;)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1387886776' post='2316806']
I'm using raw linseed oil on my fingerboards and I apply it using a kitchen towel rather than drizzling it over the wood, so it's applied sparingly; it flows into pores and fills them so that in time after repeated applications (days or weeks apart) a sheen develops - I tend to use a cloth duster to polish the fingerboard after I've played the instrument. The only downside is that linseed oil has a peculiar smell (though since I don't use much at any one time it isn't an issue for me).
[/quote]

I used boiled after I'd bared off the fretboard first and I'm quite pleased with it.
Think I'll try some raw, next time and do.... like you :)

Luv the smell

I wouldn't use linseed oil on a bass, it is too sticky really, and forms a gum as it dries. I like the finish but it is strictly for furniture and cricket bats as far as I am concerned. If you do use it then use boiled only and very sparingly, better still use something made for the job with either a lemon oil or a mineral oil base. They will usually have a mix of oils and a drying agent or two in the mix. May cost you £6 for a tiny bottle but it lasts for use as you use so little anyway. I use Dr Ducks and after 6 years it is still 3/4 full.